GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No heat for the first 15 min?

rfalc

Hi guys,

I have a Golf GTI MK7 from 2015, which for the past year has had a persistent issue with the heat only coming on after 15 min. I see that multiple other people have the same problem on different forums, but I don't see anyone coming up with a solution. I've spoken to a handful of mechanics, from VW to random in the neighborhood, and only one of them had heard about it before, and he said the solution was to replace the heater core (which I'm obviously a bit hesitant to do).

It's definitely better if you go on the gas quicker than slower, and I might get heat after 10 min. The two hoses going to the heater core through the firewall does not get warm after a 5 min. drive, even though the coolant temperature is at 90 degrees C.

I've tried to flush the heater core to no avail.

Any ideas?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Air lock?
Faulty water pump?
Most likely, a Stuck thermostat?

rfalc

What do you mean by air lock exactly? I guess if it was the water pump or thermostat, the engine temperature would be affected as well? And that's behaving as expected.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
What do you mean by air lock exactly? I guess if it was the water pump or thermostat, the engine temperature would be affected as well? And that's behaving as expected.

Air in the coolant system, where there is air there is not water! Ignore the temp gauge on the dash, it means nothing and will always point to the middle, a stuck thermostat will cause overcooling which will result in the water taking longer to heat enough to blow warm air into the cabin, a good mechanic should have already checked this! Have you had the car scanned for fault codes?

rfalc

Yup, there were no errors that seemed related.

I guess it's possible that it's caused by air in the coolant system, but I don't hear any water splash noises from the dashboard, which I understand is a common symptom of air in the coolant system. Is there a sound way to check it?