GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(Break-in/Run-in) "Accidentally" floored a GTI during the test drive... is that bad?

porusski

(Break-in/Run-in) "Accidentally" floored a GTI during the test drive... is that bad?

I promised myself to not floor it... But entering the freeway my brain decided to do it and redline it. I am seriously considering that car but did I SOMEHOW possibly affect the reliability in the long-term? I understand doing it at 200 miles wouldn't be too major, but it is still brand new with only a few miles.

There is so much debate whether you should break-in the car or not. So many threads. But really, is it okay?

everlast556

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't worry about it. Manual says not to but come on, how can you not resist doing it at least one time in 600 miles of driving. I know I did. Shoot, my car had 300 miles on it when I picked it up, im sure someone if not several people had done WOT pulls on it by the time I got it. What will be, will be.

BrianThatCoolGuy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘22 GTI 6MT
I peeled my way out of the dealership... Car is running like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porusski

Yup, you gonna need a new engine.

I wouldn't worry about it. Manual says not to but come on, how can you not resist doing it at least one time in 600 miles of driving. I know I did. Shoot, my car had 300 miles on it when I picked it up, im sure someone if not several people had done WOT pulls on it by the time I got it. What will be, will be.

Yeah I agree. I did a lot of research and just wanted to know how much guts the thing has got.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
You don’t need to worry. How can anyone resist to floor a GTI or R for about 600-100 miles? I haven’t succeeded with it so far.

Since the resistance is higher in the beginning in the engine it’s a good idea not to go with top speed /heavy load for a longer time interval. Various usage must be the best method. However there are lots of treads about this subject on the forum.

No harm done!

/Peter

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Yup, you gonna need a new engine.
Crazy world. Now in late 2014 people start topics after they floored the pedal on a test drive.

Seriously, I don't get it.

Next question is, why dealers don't run them carefully in for 2000 mls? :rolleyes:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I basically did a burnout when I took delivery of my GTI and have been driving the piss out of it since. I've got like 1000 miles on it as of now. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk