GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 05-17-2019, 03:36 AM   #69
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
As far the Golf styling goes it hasn't actually changed much in 50 years. It's the same basic design. Sure it's a little more aerodynamic and has better looking styling with the headlights etc but the basic shape hasn't changed much.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #70
Sparklebeard

Drives: 2019 e-Golf SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs06c View Post
I agree it's ugly AF, but I understand the reasoning...the MK8 is the transitional model to their all-electric MEB line. Just read today they're opening two plants in China and a third in Germany for this, plus pumping over a billion dollars into a battery factory. Physical controls will eventually be a thing of the past as we move into the electric era. The MK7.5 will probably be the last of it's kind.

I'm a little excited about a potential all-electric performance Golf going head-to-head with Tesla on 0-60 times though (instant torque!), but I don't think I'll be considering the next generation during this transition.
I'm not sure why physical controls and electrics necessarily are like oil and water. The e-Golf works just great with the standard complement of Mk7 buttons.
Sparklebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #71
Carlosfandango

Drives: 2016 3Dr Mk7 GTi DSG Carbon Grey
Unlikely that the interior in the link will be how the final product looks, the screens won’t be sitting proud like that, VW love conformity across their range and having seen the new Touareg R-line’s interior I think the final golf design will impress most people, the Touareg interior is a nice place to be and the controls are very intuitive, hard to explain but it works well, it won’t be to everybody’s taste but things progress, that’s just how it is!

Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #72
KevinC

Drives: '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HstephenG View Post
The people at VW are not idiots.

Do I need to make a list?
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #73
Sparky589

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSi
Something interesting that I came across is the Euro-spec 2020 Passat steering wheel. Looks to be VW's new wheel design going forward, as that's pretty much what we're seeing on this Mk8 test mule.
2016 TSI | Platinum Gray | 6-spd slush | APR IS20 w/DP | APR Downpipe | AWE Track Exhaust | Vibrant 17930 | VWR R600 | BFI Stage 2 Mount Kit | BC BR Coilovers | Konig Ampliform | 034 Front + Rear Sway Bar | Michelin P4s | SuperPro LCA
Sparky589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #74
pjs06c

Drives: Golf GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklebeard View Post
I'm not sure why physical controls and electrics necessarily are like oil and water. The e-Golf works just great with the standard complement of Mk7 buttons.
Honestly, I think it just helps sell the 'electric car experience.' Electric is synonymous with tech in the auto industry now so it gets people thinking they're buying an evolutionary car
pjs06c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #75
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
You're right about this - that VW likes conformity across the model range.
When it comes to an upcoming VW, if you are wondering where it's styling inside and out is likely to fall - look at the other models that have been recently redone - and you can be pretty sure the next model won't deviate far.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:13 AM   #76
STL11

Drives: ‘17 GTI SE DSG
I saw this and said, “I’m holding onto my MK7 for a loooooong time.” I don’t want anything to do with virtual interfaces right now.
STL11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #77
Supermoto

Drives: 2015 Mk7 GTI DSG SE
^ same. I am so glad to have my MK7 now
Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #78
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Unlikely that the interior in the link will be how the final product looks, the screens won’t be sitting proud like that, VW love conformity across their range and having seen the new Touareg R-line’s interior I think the final golf design will impress most people, the Touareg interior is a nice place to be and the controls are very intuitive, hard to explain but it works well, it won’t be to everybody’s taste but things progress, that’s just how it is!

I would like to see lighter interiors to hide constant dust but not this light.
No gloss black trim.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #79
Strange Mud

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
that is an attractive interior but the lack of real buttons is a problem with me.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #80
XM_Rocks

Drives: '16 GTI SE 6MT w/ LP, PP, DCC
I like the exterior and the basic interior design.

However if buttons are going away for realz... why VW?

Honda and other manufacturers that have removed physical buttons are adding them back in now.

Also I hate the gloss black trim and shiny infotainment screens. Yuck.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #81
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
that is an attractive interior but the lack of real buttons is a problem with me.
As long as it reads my mind!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:28 AM   #82
Genegenie

Drives: Reflex Silver 1.4TSi Match Ed Dover Wheels 5Dr
The Mk8 will no doubt be cross between the Passat & Polo interiors, as folk have said VW and most brands ike similarity through the range. Bit concerned that the reassuringly chunky liteswitch seems to have been replaced ....

http://lhtperformance.net/
Genegenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #83
KevinC

Drives: '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
And an odd decision if that's what the final product is. Automakers tried this and customers revolted, and most listened and returned hard button control to stuff like climate controls. Ford & Honda both had a buttload of negative feedback to their early attempts to make everything touch vs actual buttons, and relented fairly quickly. Perhaps VW wasn't paying attention.

My buddy's wife has a Volvo XC90 or whatever their high-dollar SUV is called. The infotainment system is a total mess - it attempts to handle all the climate controls as well as just about everything else going on in the car. After more than a year she still struggles to get the AC running or adjusted. Navigation? Almost have to get out the manual to figure it out. It's absolutely insane, and dangerous for anyone to be attempting to use while driving.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #84
imthanick_a

Drives: 2016 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
And an odd decision if that's what the final product is. Automakers tried this and customers revolted, and most listened and returned hard button control to stuff like climate controls. Ford & Honda both had a buttload of negative feedback to their early attempts to make everything touch vs actual buttons, and relented fairly quickly. Perhaps VW wasn't paying attention.

My buddy's wife has a Volvo XC90 or whatever their high-dollar SUV is called. The infotainment system is a total mess - it attempts to handle all the climate controls as well as just about everything else going on in the car. After more than a year she still struggles to get the AC running or adjusted. Navigation? Almost have to get out the manual to figure it out. It's absolutely insane, and dangerous for anyone to be attempting to use while driving.
My girlfriends Fusion has the climate control controls on the infotainment too. Thank god it has physical buttons too because I tried to figure it out on the screen once and its like a puzzle