GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I have the Spulen. Great kit. Very complete and good quality. I’ve seen other kits that are definitely sub par.

MadMen

Ready to race!
Can you just use the catch can plate, and cap off the line feeds?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Can you just use the catch can plate, and cap off the line feeds?

For regular daily driving, you could just bypass the can and use only the plate.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
BFI released their V2 a month or two ago, it looks really nice...waiting to hear some feedback on it. $349

https://store.blackforestindustries.com/bficlcacacan1.html

Does not appear to actually change the PCV plate.

— Ed

The BFI kit is very similar to the ECS, APR, and Burger kits which piggy back on the OEM PCV. I used the ECS one personally and it was good for keeping out oil from the inlet pipe but does nothing to control crankcase pressure over the stock PCV.

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
The BFI kit is very similar to the ECS, APR, and Burger kits which piggy back on the OEM PCV. I used the ECS one personally and it was good for keeping out oil from the inlet pipe but does nothing to control crankcase pressure over the stock PCV.

Good to know, thanks!

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Yep the PCV is definitely a big factor. I also think the pressure regulators in these oil pumps are inconsistent. These engines already run very low pressure to begin with, so if you get one on the lower end of the spec, you can see some issues. This may also explain the thrust failures on MT cars.

I might be wrong, but my theory is the actual OIL (as in brand/spec) people run.

Everyone knows the swill that oilmakers are alowed to call "synthetic" and sell as such in the US (looking at you, Castrol & Mobil) is nowhere near what would be acceptable elsewhere (like Germany), hence "euro" oils and the historical high rate of turbo failures on our side of the pond (not talking just VAG/MQB, but pretty much any high-performance car that's been sold in significant numbers on both sides of the Atlantic in the past few decades).

There's also a case to be made for running actual racing oil instead of VW-approved spec, which is for stock power. When people mod these little 2liters to well over 100HP/per cylinder, that is clearly in race-engine territory. Whatever oil spec an OEM comes up with was not designed for this, and one oil can barely squeeze inside the spec, while another could have a lot of headroom well beyond that spec. One would still work fine with double the power, the other would not.

Perhaps a thread to compile a list of failure types and correlate with the oil used would help, or maybe Ed/EQT has already done something like this?

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Do not use race oils in a street car, they typically have no detergents and are designed for a very short oil change interval.

There are plenty of non-race specific oils that are much better fit.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Do not use race oils in a street car, they typically have no detergents and are designed for a very short oil change interval.

There are plenty of non-race specific oils that are much better fit.

I know, but the racing oils are designed with performance as the only metric, while currently OEM oil specs are created for fuel economy, emissions, long intervals, low-enough-cost-to-manufacture, all while ensuring the engine lasts enough to get out of warranty still running. Add to that the decision to go with one oil-maker over another for the factory fill is just a marketing exercise on the oil-maker part (aka how much money they're willing to spend, usually in the form of "sponsorships"), actual oil performance is pretty low on the list.

Decades ago, as a kid racing go-karts, I've spent many hours talking to tribologists who were also racing enthusiasts. I remember them showing me engines taken apart after many hundreds of miles, with tens of kms change intervals, that looked like new, from the early days of synthetic oils, when their development was strictly for oil performance/engine longevity.

It's also the reason while sometimes an older oil spec means a better oil than a newer one that is more restricted from a fuel economy/emissions standpoint.

All I'm saying is that between "factory recommended" and racing oils as the two extremes, it's really difficult to find a "right" oil for heavily modded engines, and a study of failures in relation with the oil used might make it easier, while saving people and turbo-makers a lot of grief.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know, but the racing oils are designed with performance as the only metric, while currently OEM oil specs are created for fuel economy, emissions, long intervals, low-enough-cost-to-manufacture, all while ensuring the engine lasts enough to get out of warranty still running. Add to that the decision to go with one oil-maker over another for the factory fill is just a marketing exercise on the oil-maker part (aka how much money they're willing to spend, usually in the form of "sponsorships"), actual oil performance is pretty low on the list.

Decades ago, as a kid racing go-karts, I've spent many hours talking to tribologists who were also racing enthusiasts. I remember them showing me engines taken apart after many hundreds of miles, with tens of kms change intervals, that looked like new, from the early days of synthetic oils, when their development was strictly for oil performance/engine longevity.

It's also the reason while sometimes an older oil spec means a better oil than a newer one that is more restricted from a fuel economy/emissions standpoint.

All I'm saying is that between "factory recommended" and racing oils as the two extremes, it's really difficult to find a "right" oil for heavily modded engines, and a study of failures in relation with the oil used might make it easier, while saving people and turbo-makers a lot of grief.

Have you ever checked Cerma's oil? Just curious for your opinion. https://www.cermastore.com/

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

And that's why I use Motul Sport 5w-40 oil. It's not a VW spec oil but is made for high performance engines with turbo's.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Update: I spoke with Patrick from EQT and I will be starting the RMA process tomorrow for a new revised bearing turbo and I will be purchasing the bigger exhaust housing as well which he says is good for another 30-40hp.

I had to cancel my order of the Spulen V2 catch can because USP wouldn't be able to ship it out until June 7, ( :(), so I was forced to order the CTS. It blocks off the PCV just like the Spulen so hopefully it will be just as good.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I might be wrong, but my theory is the actual OIL (as in brand/spec) people run.

Everyone knows the swill that oilmakers are alowed to call "synthetic" and sell as such in the US (looking at you, Castrol & Mobil) is nowhere near what would be acceptable elsewhere (like Germany), hence "euro" oils and the historical high rate of turbo failures on our side of the pond (not talking just VAG/MQB, but pretty much any high-performance car that's been sold in significant numbers on both sides of the Atlantic in the past few decades).

There's also a case to be made for running actual racing oil instead of VW-approved spec, which is for stock power. When people mod these little 2liters to well over 100HP/per cylinder, that is clearly in race-engine territory. Whatever oil spec an OEM comes up with was not designed for this, and one oil can barely squeeze inside the spec, while another could have a lot of headroom well beyond that spec. One would still work fine with double the power, the other would not.

Perhaps a thread to compile a list of failure types and correlate with the oil used would help, or maybe Ed/EQT has already done something like this?

Oil quality is definitely important, especially in more extreme use conditions. I personally run Motul Sport 5w-40. Its a great oil overall and not super expensive for a high quality ester based synthetic.

-- Ed