GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel geek short shifter for 2018 GTI

iamareplicant

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had my hy 2018 GTI for exactly a year, it has 1,600 miles on it, and today my diesel geek sigma short shifter was installed.

Might as well be a new car. it is amazing from the get go. It is tight and crisp in ways that exceeded my expectations. Among the amazing feel of the transmission, 4th, 5th and 6th are no longer a stab in the dark.

I just wanted to add to the number of owners that installed this and found it to be , as I have, a huge improvement.

Buy this kit. You will not be sorry.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had my hy 2018 GTI for exactly a year, it has 1600 miles on it, and today my diesel geek short shifter was installed.

Might as well be a new car. it is amazing from the get go. It is tight and crisp in ways that exceeded my expectations. Among the amazing feel of the transmission, 4th, 5th and 6th are no longer a stab in the dark.

I just wanted to add the number of owners that installed this and found it to be , as I have, a huge improvement.

Buy this kit. You will not be sorry.

Wow you hardly drive the car.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
My DG Sigma6 shifter has over 100,000 miles on it (it's been on 3 cars, one TDI and 2 GTIs) and the delrin slider is starting to wear out and give it some free-play.

It's still not nearly as bad as the OEM pot-stirrer, but I intend to ask DG if they're willing to sell me just the delrin part.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I'm on the fence about getting one of these. I have the S3 Euro OEM Short Shifter and wonder if the Sigma 6 would help with no lift shifting...help meaning I will shift quicker.

I'm sure it will but I'm worried it will be too short and notch.

iamareplicant

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 30 miles on it, and yes it's notch. And as it is right now (brand new), there is no way it would shift quickly.

If it never got "better", I'd still be thrilled with it compared to what it was. Not to say it isn't sweet, because it is. If it does break in, all the better. But yes, it is notch, but also, each gear requires the same pressure and feels identical. It is heaven at the moment.

I've not had a great many cars like others here, but for me, my gold standard is the S2K. It is the most perfect transmission I've experienced. Next is my '90 Miata, then this GTI with the DG is 3rd most gratifying.

I also put in the clutch bleeder sans impeller, braided line and the clutch stop. To soon to know for sure, but so far it doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

An aside, I just looked at your last car, the Jetta - very nice car, as is your R. I don't usually read others builds all the way through, but did, and enjoyed, yours and the narration.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I have 30 miles on it, and yes it's notch. And as it is right now (brand new), there is no way it would shift quickly.

If it never got "better", I'd still be thrilled with it compared to what it was. Not to say it isn't sweet, because it is. If it does break in, all the better. But yes, it is notch, but also, each gear requires the same pressure and feels identical. It is heaven at the moment.

I've not had a great many cars like others here, but for me, my gold standard is the S2K. It is the most perfect transmission I've experienced. Next is my '90 Miata, then this GTI with the DG is 3rd most gratifying.

I also put in the clutch bleeder sans impeller, braided line and the clutch stop. To soon to know for sure, but so far it doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

An aside, I just looked at your last car, the Jetta - very nice car, as is your R. I don't usually read others builds all the way through, but did, and enjoyed, yours and the narration.

Thanks for detailed review. I have a little money to burn so why not try it. If I don't like it then I can always remove it and sell. It's not a difficult piece to install but I don't look forward to aligning it. Lol.

Thanks on the compliments on my build thread. I've done a lot and wanted a way to document and share/help others. Especially that own a manual as these days you see more builds with DSG...at least in the R forum.

iamareplicant

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for detailed review. I have a little money to burn so why not try it. If I don't like it then I can always remove it and sell. It's not a difficult piece to install but I don't look forward to aligning it. Lol.

Thanks on the compliments on my build thread. I've done a lot and wanted a way to document and share/help others. Especially that own a manual as these days you see more builds with DSG...at least in the R forum.

I fear the day when there are no manuals at all with new cars. Thankfully, there will be countless used ones with the extra pedal.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

The Dieselgeek Sigma 6 + Raceseng weighted shift knob were one of my favorite mods when I had my MK7. I had that shifter setup for probably 2 years. It's quite notchy (especially in the first couple hundred miles, then it's smooth/buttery but still a little bit notchy) and definitely short, but it feels great. I personally like the feel, it's very satisfying to shift. Highly recommend it, plus it's easy to re-sell if you don't like it (give it a few hundred miles though).

I just installed the Raceseng Circuit Sphere 150 and waiting on the Dieselgeek Sigma 6 to put on my MK5.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
The Dieselgeek Sigma 6 + Raceseng weighted shift knob were one of my favorite mods when I had my MK7. I had that shifter setup for probably 2 years. It's quite notchy (especially in the first couple hundred miles, then it's smooth/buttery but still a little bit notchy) and definitely short, but it feels great. I personally like the feel, it's very satisfying to shift. Highly recommend it, plus it's easy to re-sell if you don't like it (give it a few hundred miles though).

I just installed the Raceseng Circuit Sphere 150 and waiting on the Dieselgeek Sigma 6 to put on my MK5.

Nice. I have the Raceseng Ology Series (I switch between Sphere and Top covers) already and this is not the first time I've heard that having this combo or a weighted knob works great with the Sigma 6

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I installed my Sigma Six and a 700 gram knob around 5k miles ago, and it's magnificent especially once things are a bit broken in and it isn't so notchy. 10/10