GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had a session with Jack this morning to code my retrofit MIB 2 unit (again)... Went from a non nav unit to a nav unit in preparation for AID retrofit... Which he is also going to program for me. Great work and great to work with.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Lucky - been waiting to work with him for several weeks. Reached out to him last night and no response.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That's because he was busy with my car, haha. I took out more of his time than either of us expected because I installed a virgin unit, it required everything. It had absolutely zero settings available out of the box. I think most of the time on these retrofits he's setting up used units to match the new vehicle.

He's also in Poland, so "last night" here in the states is going to be really early in the morning for him. I'm in Cali and we started my session at 2am my time, for the second night in a row due to the aforementioned virgin unit. In any case he's got everything working perfectly for me. I also asked him for the price when we disconnected last night. He hasn't even told me yet, wants me to make sure everything works first. Awesome service.

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea I’ve talked to him about scheduling a couple of times, but haven’t heard back in a while. I’ll reach out again.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I have been told by a few people that I don't know Jack:). Jack Kirry is a gentlemen who is a subject matter expert and has a commercial account with VW so can connect to mother ship and reinstall functional enablement codes and align everything to your VIN. Jack charges a reasonable hourly rate and when everything is working you settle up. He is contacted through Skype and Skype name is jacekk993. You will need a VAS5054. Jack is referenced in the initial thread and throughout this thread.

Thank you. This gives me hope. At least the VAS5054 isnt' too expensive. Still getting things with the motor swapped finished. It runs just a couple things to be coded. Right now it's like a Stage 2 A3 Quattro. Car goes back in for a BOSS600 and fueling.

a3golfer

Success! So Jack finished up this morning and all seems to be working nicely. I'll re-cap. I swapped the MIB2 into my 2015 a couple months ago and had dealer (my friend) remove CP. I was left with a car that had no Bluetooth/Phone/Voice or obviously CarPlay. This morning Jack was able to push the FeCs for the above into my infotainment as well as enable CarPlay with the donor VIN. He even surprised me when he enabled Performance Monitor as well :D It was a freebie he said for waiting so long!

I did notice that Performance Monitor does not work 100% correctly as the oil temp and coolant stay at 120F and will not go higher even as the car warms up. The boost gauge is either at 0 or 14.5 PSI as I move. I brought this up with Jack and he told me it's probably the pre-facelift car just not sending the correct data to the new MIB unit. Which is fine, I doubt I'd use it much anyways.

Keep in mind and this may be info to you all. The MIB2 unit I purchased and installed is the 3Q0035844A revision (out of a late 2017 GTI). So Jack is able to do this on the newer 'A' revision MIB2 units without issue. There was some confusion earlier in the thread that he may not. He said he's done a few of them now. With the parts I purchased and the service Jack has provided it put me at a hair over $500 USD for this swap which IMO is well worth it! I'll make it clear again that Jack is a very professional and kind individual. I'd recommend him to anyone looking to do this swap and wanting everything to work correctly. He knows exactly what he is doing.

I'll attach some pics below:

What kind of hardware/software did you need for Jack to enable all of these features? Did you upgrade from a standard or pro MIB1 unit?

From some old notes, I had written down:

MIB2 Glovebox headunit - 3Q0035844A (or 3Q0035844)
MIB2 6.5" screen - 3G0919605H
MIB2 Amp - 5Q0035456
USB Aux Plug/harness - 5G0035222E

I really want to upgrade my screen to the 8" Discover Pro LCD Screen if I can.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think you're good with what you got, the 5Q0... The 5G0 mentioned in the document you linked seems to be a mistake, although the rest of it is pretty spot-on... Had I found his document earlier I could have saved myself hours of research, but everything I had found on my own matched.

What you're likely seeing in some people's posts is that they got the 5G0 modified to work with MIB II. There were a couple companies that would do this but I think it's more expensive than just buying a second hand MIB II amp. I would be surprised if the service is still offered at all because it should be easier to find these amps now than it was back when this DIY was posted.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
What software version is everybody's MIB2 system on? I'm updated to 0755 but I see cars like the new Tiguan and mk7.5 GTIs on 0890. My tech said the latest he could update me to was 0755. The UI has changed a bit on the 0890 software and i would love to have it

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm running 753. Did your dealer say they could update a retrofitted MIB II? My dealer said they couldn't even check for updates on mine.

Any pictures of the UI differences? I have my UI set to Skin:Highline (or something like that, I'll check with Obdeleven later) in long coding. This changes the menu to a single revolving row of options which I prefer to the "tiles" view. Not sure if it changes anything else though. I'll try to grab some pics with different settings.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I'm confused about the Fender amp. In the original post it says to get 5Q0035456 as the MIB II amp. But there are folks on here that are saying they got the 5G0035456 as the MIB II amp. Also, this referenced doc just confuses me more: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q-KoD5_otiE8mS2PufMCMh2Z0qDArgETaVHtXSV2ABc/edit#

I bought a 5Q0035456 and I am really hoping I got the right thing...

As stated in the DIY the 5G0035456 is the MIB1, 5Q0035456 is the MIB2. The reference document is incorrect. You purchased the correct MIBII amplifier. You can always verify independently by going to a VW parts list for a 2015 and 2017.

Recommend you reach out to whoever made the reference list and let them know it requires correction.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Here is one crappy picture of what mine looks like on 753. The other setting looks kind of like the second picture you posted.