GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 GTI AC Issues

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
One day last year toward the end of summer, my AC was not cooling effectively on extremely hot days in Northern California.

This problem went away the next day. But now that the weather is heating up again, the AC is hardly providing any cooling--I have a problem.

I just did a VCDS scan and got the following code. Can anyone interpret what this could mean? I just have this code and the symptoms so far.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J301) Labels:| 5G0-907-426.clb
Part No SW: 5GM 907 426 A HW: 5GM 907 426 A
Component: AC Manuell H02 1001
Revision: 00001K01
Coding: 00020004200100000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 01383 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_ACManueBHBVW37X 003019
ROD: EV_ACManueBHBVW37X_003_VW37.rod
VCID: 46ADA746F9E90A7AA7-8012

Fresh Air Blower Front:

Refrigerant Pressure And Temperature Sender:

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Is there more to the code? I guess it's just referring to the high pressure transducer, but without your pressures it's impossible to determine what exactly is going on. Our vehicles don't have an A/C clutch that you can watch for cycles, so you'll really need to grab a gauge set...

If you're not willing to drop the coin, you can start by checking the 3-wire connector on the high-side line for damage.

Edit: Actually, does VCDS let you see any of the HVAC Sensor values? I've never messed with it.

Last edited:

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Thanks for the info launchd and GoatPowder.

I’m not quite sure how to use the info on the Rosstech page. Looks like a diagnostic mode?

One thing I did was enable “hot country” via VCDS coding. This seemed to make the AC colder, but it’s not that hot today, 70F so that’s not a definitive test.

I believe there might be something else going on... will need to dig further later. Heading out with the family.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Unless I’m missing something you didn’t actually post the fault code! (If there was one?) you may just need a re-gas.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Unless I’m missing something you didn’t actually post the fault code! (If there was one?) you may just need a re-gas.

There might not be a fault. Here's the top level summary from VCDS. No fault for HVAC. The ABS error is TPMS (low tire pressure) and the Electric is for heated seats (because no passenger detected?) "B1806 F0 [008] - Safety Shut-Off due to Occupant".

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
32-Differential Locks -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
75-Telematics -- Status: OK 0000
A9-Struct. Borne Sound -- Status: OK 0000

I checked the pressure with a gauge. It read low on the range indicated on the gauge. I am not sure what's the correct pressure. I bought a can of r134a at the local hardware store but decided not to attempt to recharge with it. I am going to take it to an AC auto shop instead. The can contains oils and sealants, that I probably don't need to add. I really don't know if low refrigerant is the issue anyway...

Last edited:

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Good choice. We call those little cans with the dummy gauge on them "hand grenades". If the system is low there's a leak you'll have to address anyway or it'll just leak out again. And a the "stop leak" crap they put in them only really stops the condenser and/or evap from functioning.

Keep us posted with what they find; we'll all have A/C problems eventually and it's good to have a base started for common issues

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Update:

Great news. My AC system just needed a recharge. The shop detected no leaks. There’s now UV dye in the system. So if there is a slow one we should see it.

I suspect it had a weak charge from the factory because it has never performed that well.