GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Having Trouble with Personalization Settings

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, as I get to know my new car and it’s features, the one thing I can’t seem to get working is the personalization features. As I understand it I should be able to assign an “account” to each key fob that would then adjust the seats, mirrors, radio and perhaps some other stuff based on who is driving.

I haven’t been able to find much explanation in the manual. I’ve assigned each key fob to an account (I think) however it does not automatically adjust the settings based on which for I use to unlock the car.

Even when manually switching accounts it doesn’t seem to make any adjustments to mirrors and drivers seat, only the radio. For example, I had the car set up under my name as I normally drive it. I switched to my wife’s account made some mirror changes, then switched back to my account and the mirrors did not adjust back.

Has anyone had better luck than me? Is there a resource out there that I’be missed?

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

scsuh1

others can correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't believe the key fobs have the memory functions that you're looking for. it has been one of my gripes about this car since purchasing. luckily i don't really share my vehicle so it's not a huge inconvenience.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I was told that you can assign a different "Driver Profile" to each key, and this will remember all settings (incl seat & mirror positions), but I haven't done it on my R yet (probably will if my missus ever starts driving it regularly).

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Yeah, maybe the key thing works on the Euro model with the optional memory seats? But NAR owners don't get that choice, which in any case requires a controller module that also isn't present on our cars.

TL/DR: Ain't gonna happen.

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, I had read conflicting things about whether there is a memory seat or not, so maybe the difference is the NA model. Is it supposed to have memory mirrors or no?

Not a big deal either way as I will be driving 99% of the time but I wanted to play around with it. At minimum I won’t be subjected to my wife’s top 40 radio when I get in and she won’t be subjected to my old school rap xm channel :)

I should add that i asked her to try moving my car with her fob and mine in the house and it did start up under her name, so that part seems to be working now at least.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Thanks, I had read conflicting things about whether there is a memory seat or not, so maybe the difference is the NA model. Is it supposed to have memory mirrors or no?

Nope, no memory mirrors either. Don't know whether the power folding mirrors, which can be added relatively easily to our cars, also provide that feature — anyone?

In Europe there is an available memory seat for the driver, but it's an extra cost option. If you go to the Build section of the VW UK web site it'll show as another £615 adder ($781) on top of the extra cost leather seating option.

There's a guy on VW Vortex who's been working on adding that to his NAR R seat, but his thread's been dead for a few weeks now.

Neil

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
I have an '18 R and also had the same frustration... not much explanation in the manual and frustration in trying to figure it out.

The "Automatic" assignment means the car will automatically assign the current profile to whatever key it detects. Useful (I guess) if no one but you drives the car.

The "Manual" key assignment means the car will prompt you for whatever profile you want to load when you get in the car, and then it assigns the profile to that key. Not an issue if you're the one that drives the car 99% of the time; just ignore the prompt as it goes away in ~10 secs anyway.

The only thing I see the car remembering from key to key are the following:

• Radio/Sat presets
  • What station you were listening to
  • Climate adjustment (temp, vents, etc.)

The R, sadly, does not have seat memory so it won't remember that. It doesn't remember side mirror position either (I'm pretty sure about that). So in my mind it's a poorly-written, useless feature.

Someone can please correct me if I'm wrong.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Its just climate and Media functions. You have to have memory seats (there would be a memory button on side of seat with controls) and memory mirrors for that to work. VW saved money and dropped those on NA cars.
That was a big complaint that those are missing on a 42000 car.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Andy by the way, I think that seat memory is only moderately useful unless the car also has electric operation of steering wheel position with memory.

Neil