GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tune or Don’t Tune your Mk7

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I had a 2011 5.0. It was a fun car, but the GTI is more fun. The GTI is fun to throw around on the street whereas the Mustang really wasn’t. I had handling mods on my Mustang and it handled well, but it was still a bit floaty and boat like. Hitting a mid corner bump at 9/10s was a butt puckering experience where my GTI just soaks it up.

The GTI has the power down low where you need it and where it’s fun, where you sort of had to wind the Mustang out because of that smaller V8. And once you wound it out, you were going stupid illegal speeds.

Long story short, the Mustang was certainly faster, but the GTI is much more fun to drive at much slower speeds. Plus the practicality aspect of the hatch and the fact that it doesn’t murder me at the gas pump. And the attention from insecure assholes that I don’t get in my GTI. It was a good car, but I don’t miss it.

Only been in a stang a few times, the car is fast as shit. My buddy has a 13? 5.0 and ya it flys but it does have a boat length feel to it. GTI has more room inside. His stang has like 425 hp or something, I can only imagine how the gti would be at 425hp... scary speeds by just tapping your foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scober

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a 2011 5.0. It was a fun car, but the GTI is more fun. The GTI is fun to throw around on the street whereas the Mustang really wasn’t. I had handling mods on my Mustang and it handled well, but it was still a bit floaty and boat like. Hitting a mid corner bump at 9/10s was a butt puckering experience where my GTI just soaks it up.

The GTI has the power down low where you need it and where it’s fun, where you sort of had to wind the Mustang out because of that smaller V8. And once you wound it out, you were going stupid illegal speeds.

Long story short, the Mustang was certainly faster, but the GTI is much more fun to drive at much slower speeds. Plus the practicality aspect of the hatch and the fact that it doesn’t murder me at the gas pump. And the attention from insecure assholes that I don’t get in my GTI. It was a good car, but I don’t miss it.

Solid rear axles don't like mid corner bumps, but the newer s550's with an IRS are much more forgiving for obvious reasons.

Totally agree they attract a LOT of attention, and usually the bad kind.

shogun44a

I had a 2011 5.0. It was a fun car, but the GTI is more fun. The GTI is fun to throw around on the street whereas the Mustang really wasn’t. I had handling mods on my Mustang and it handled well, but it was still a bit floaty and boat like.
Long story short, the Mustang was certainly faster, but the GTI is much more fun to drive at much slower speeds.

I have to second this. I own a Mustang GT, Camaro 1SS+1LE and the '19 Rabbit. The muscle cars are hefty and while they both have vastly wider tires and better suspension vs the GTI, they are bit "ponderous" compared to the "darty" GTI. Flogging the GTI is light-hearted. Pushing the muscle cars on the same twisty 2-lane requires more commitment and definitely beyond the boundaries of sensible driving behavior. The GTI feels "fast" at slower speeds whereas the big boys are doing go-to-jail speeds without even trying. The best feature of the Camaro is the over-speed warning.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
"Pushing the muscle cars on the same twisty 2-lane requires more commitment and definitely beyond the boundaries of sensible driving behavior".

^^^^exactly! either go to jail or hit stone wall, tree, kid (hard) speeds and it felt slow until you were going too fast. I admit to missing the jealous eyeballs but enjoy the GTI more. I would have prefered Stang more if they just admitted it was a 2 seater and made it smaller

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have to second this. I own a Mustang GT, Camaro 1SS+1LE and the '19 Rabbit. The muscle cars are hefty and while they both have vastly wider tires and better suspension vs the GTI, they are bit "ponderous" compared to the "darty" GTI. Flogging the GTI is light-hearted. Pushing the muscle cars on the same twisty 2-lane requires more commitment and definitely beyond the boundaries of sensible driving behavior. The GTI feels "fast" at slower speeds whereas the big boys are doing go-to-jail speeds without even trying. The best feature of the Camaro is the over-speed warning.

I do not see many You Tube videos showing GTI/R’s crashing at car shows.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I do not see many You Tube videos showing GTI/R’s crashing at car shows.
^ This!!! I laughed way harder than I should have at this!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChrisG

Car(s)
19 GSW 4 Motion 6mt
I recently traded a 2014 GTI 6MT that wasn't modded or tuned, for a 2019 GSW 4 Motion 6MT.

I only briefly considered tuning the GTI when I first bought it, then decided to leave it as-is, and drove it 100,000 miles.

I've had the wagon for about 1 month, and there's little doubt in my mind that it will be getting an APR tune before the summer's end. Between the difference in gearing and the reduced power, especially below 3000rpm, I'm missing the GTI.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I recently traded a 2014 GTI 6MT that wasn't modded or tuned, for a 2019 GSW 4 Motion 6MT.

I only briefly considered tuning the GTI when I first bought it, then decided to leave it as-is, and drove it 100,000 miles.

I've had the wagon for about 1 month, and there's little doubt in my mind that it will be getting an APR tune before the summer's end. Between the difference in gearing and the reduced power, especially below 3000rpm, I'm missing the GTI.
You won't miss it after you tune it and the car can put the power down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

moorjt

If you want your car to drive in a more aggressive manner you should consider a BMS Pedal Tuner. It allows you to adjust the throttle response so it feels more aggressive. Responsive without actually being faster.

I have one of these installed on my GTI. For me it's made a noticeable difference in throttle response which for me equates to an increase in the fun factor for the 6M gearbox.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Yeah once you get that tune you will be SO glad you did. Especially since it's 4MO, you'll never slip again. Unless of course you have OEM tires on lol