GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 05-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #205
flipflp

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
I'm self tuning on Maestro. It's supported but still not ideal.
Exactly, the way it was explained to me was that it creates an "unknown variable" that some tuners don't want to have, especially because MPI gives you all the fueling you need and is 100% tuneable.
UM ECU/TCU - IE DP & IC - CTS Catback - Neuspeed Intake - NGK Ruths - 034 Mounts (all of them) - Bilstein B8 - EMD RS3 Springs & Rear Sway - Motegi MR140 Street, MR408 Track - Nittos - Lotta lil' mods too

Build Thread - R MHGERD
flipflp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #206
KCchiefin

Drives: 2016 GTI SE
Just ordered the base map today! Anxious to see how much better it is compared to the ots stage 3 93 Cobb map
Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #207
xxbreezewoodxx

Drives: Acura RL, 18 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCchiefin View Post
Just ordered the base map today! Anxious to see how much better it is compared to the ots stage 3 93 Cobb map

It will be a night and day difference! Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xxbreezewoodxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #208
abbas16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
Could probably run it at 26/27psi for drivability on 94 and not need either pump.
I might even go this route as I really don't care about maxing out and getting all the power out of the new turbo. Ed was saying I'd probably get about 430whp on 94 octane with stock pumps which is WAY more than enough for me as a daily driver.

Childish me just wants to hit the 500hp crank number lol

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
abbas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #209
flipflp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas16 View Post
I might even go this route as I really don't care about maxing out and getting all the power out of the new turbo. Ed was saying I'd probably get about 430whp on 94 octane with stock pumps which is WAY more than enough for me as a daily driver.

Childish me just wants to hit the 500hp crank number lol

I feel the same way, wouldn't mind the boost from just bolting on with the stock fueling either.

But when childish you wants that 500hp, an LPFP and MPI add on with Ed's tune will get you that
UM ECU/TCU - IE DP & IC - CTS Catback - Neuspeed Intake - NGK Ruths - 034 Mounts (all of them) - Bilstein B8 - EMD RS3 Springs & Rear Sway - Motegi MR140 Street, MR408 Track - Nittos - Lotta lil' mods too

Build Thread - R MHGERD
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #210
abbas16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflp View Post
I feel the same way, wouldn't mind the boost from just bolting on with the stock fueling either.

But when childish you wants that 500hp, an LPFP and MPI add on with Ed's tune will get you that
Eds guesstimating 430ish awhp, which puts me close to 500 crank and that'll be with stock pumps

Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #211
flipflp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas16 View Post
Eds guesstimating 430ish awhp, which puts me close to 500 crank and that'll be with stock pumps

500 crank is just a number, a lot of that depends on the dyno you're measuring that on, but it's a reasonable goal without too much work to get there!

EDIT: Sorry that sounded really negative. My goal would be to have a measured 500hp, even if it wasn't on a heart breaker dyno.

Build Thread - R MHGERD

Last edited by flipflp; 05-16-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:33 PM   #212
abbas16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflp View Post
500 crank is just a number, a lot of that depends on the dyno you're measuring that on, but it's a reasonable goal without too much work to get there!
I'm currently unitronic stage 2 but have had a slipping g clutch the whole time I've been turned. Just installed dkm twin disc and the power delivery is insane. so whatever magic Ed can do on my EQT kit with stock pumps I'm SURE will blow me away compared to where I am right now.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #213
GolfR2019

Drives: Mk7 Golf R
Just reading thru the 13 pages and everything is pure positive comments, had my mind set on APR Stage 2 but even with the Cobb AP + Tune File this is going to come in a good few hundred bucks cheaper then what I was quoted locally

Would love if maybe 1 or 2 of the guys would post a video of their Stage 2 tune with pops and bangs just to get an idea how the OTS tune sounds
GolfR2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #214
NeedSleep

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR2019 View Post
Just reading thru the 13 pages and everything is pure positive comments, had my mind set on APR Stage 2 but even with the Cobb AP + Tune File this is going to come in a good few hundred bucks cheaper then what I was quoted locally

Would love if maybe 1 or 2 of the guys would post a video of their Stage 2 tune with pops and bangs just to get an idea how the OTS tune sounds
I found this vid from them:
https://youtu.be/TdLI1MkgSxE

I think someone posted a vid on a mk7/MQB Facebook group, but I'm not too sure. Regardless, the pops and bangs are more tame than other companies'.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #215
MaxM97

Drives: '15 VW GTI S DBP w/ LP, '93 VW Corrado SLC
Quote:

Here you go. I really like how itís just a few pops, rather than the continuous popping that APR and Unitronic tunes do. Exhaust setup is IE downpipe and Clubsport S muffler.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fHD...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kYL...w?usp=drivesdk

Old 05-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #216
abbas16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxM97 View Post
Here you go. I really like how itís just a few pops, rather than the continuous popping that APR and Unitronic tunes do. Exhaust setup is IE downpipe and Clubsport S muffler.

I prefer this much more than my current unitronic stage 2 overrun. This sounds more OEM, where uni sounds exaggerated.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #217
moarhorsepower

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT PP, 2017 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxM97 View Post

That sounds pretty much perfect. Not too little, not too much.
moarhorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 AM   #218
GolfR2019

Drives: Mk7 Golf R
Thanks for the videos guys, do you not get any pops below 4k rpms? sounded good from the outside but when viewing the cluster video all pops seem to go after it drops below 4k
GolfR2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:25 AM   #219
MaxM97

Drives: '15 VW GTI S DBP w/ LP, '93 VW Corrado SLC
Quote:
Thanks for the videos guys, do you not get any pops below 4k rpms? sounded good from the outside but when viewing the cluster video all pops seem to go after it drops below 4k

Sorry that wasnít the greatest video showing that. It will pop around 2800-3000 as well.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 AM   #220
jonny_g

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG DCC
for those who have the eqt tune, did you get these options:
-Cobb Launch Control (Fuel Cut Based)
-Cobb Adjustable Traction Control

do you like these options, is it that much different ?
jonny_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #221
DrewB

Drives: 17 6MT GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_g View Post
for those who have the eqt tune, did you get these options:
-Cobb Launch Control (Fuel Cut Based)
-Cobb Adjustable Traction Control

do you like these options, is it that much different ?
Those are the additional options that you can have Ed enable. I had him on my S2 base tune but honestly haven't messed with them. These settings do reset after turning the car off/on so you would need to set them each time on the AP. Basically probably something you wouldn't mess with too much unless testing or track/strip.
DrewB is offline   Reply With Quote