GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tdi exhaust options

Mk7_Cj

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before but cant find what I need on search.

I have a 2.0 tdi and would like to give it an exhaust to look like the R version. Don't care about sound, it's all about looks for me.

Does anyone know if it's an easy bolt on or a custom built thing. Have heard that the rear axles are different?

Thanks for any help
Chris

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
GTI rear valence bolts on. You will need a few plastic attachment pieces/screws from the dealer to do it right, less than $50 worth iirc. Or make sure to remove them from the donor car if you pick up a used valence. People also do the valence without adding those pieces; the valence is secure without them, or you can zip tie through the holes and it won't be noticeable. I had an exhaust shop remove my muffler and weld the y pipe in its place, then you just pick whatever tips you want.

Assuming a TDI with all the emissions equipment intact there's no difference in sound, the DPF is actually muffling the exhaust note, not the muffler. Total cost at the exhaust shop was somewhere around $200, but that's in Los Angeles. I also didn't shop around to compare prices, I've heard of people getting simple work like this done for cheaper.

The R has a different bumper. But I would assume if you bought the whole bumper it would bolt on. Then you would need the same custom exhaust work. And it is correct that the exhaust pipe comes over torsion beam (on the left) instead of down the middle so GTI/R axle backs probably wouldn't work without some fabrication to mate them up, if at all. But again, no need to pay for muffler that's not doing anything.

My TDI with dual exhaust, matte black 4" tips, GTI valence...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: krs

Mk7_Cj

GTI rear valence bolts on. You will need a few plastic attachment pieces/screws from the dealer to do it right, less than $50 worth iirc. Or make sure to remove them from the donor car if you pick up a used valence. People also do the valence without adding those pieces; the valence is secure without them, or you can zip tie through the holes and it won't be noticeable. I had an exhaust shop remove my muffler and weld the y pipe in its place, then you just pick whatever tips you want.

Assuming a TDI with all the emissions equipment intact there's no difference in sound, the DPF is actually muffling the exhaust note, not the muffler. Total cost at the exhaust shop was somewhere around $200, but that's in Los Angeles. I also didn't shop around to compare prices, I've heard of people getting simple work like this done for cheaper.

The R has a different bumper. But I would assume if you bought the whole bumper it would bolt on. Then you would need the same custom exhaust work. And it is correct that the exhaust pipe comes over torsion beam (on the left) instead of down the middle so GTI/R axle backs probably wouldn't work without some fabrication to mate them up, if at all. But again, no need to pay for muffler that's not doing anything.

Perfect, thank you for your time! Yours looks great.
I'll have to find some local shops to give me a price and see what they say. Valence sounds easy enough to do though.
Definitely a must do for me, love my symmetry!
Thank you again

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bob3

Car(s)
Mk7 golf TDI

So is this really Loud? I want to do something like this.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nope, I still have full emissions so it sounds completely stock. That's what I wanted. The DPF silences everything, the stock rear muffler really doesn't do anything.

If you want exhaust noise you would need to emissions deletes. I'm not interested in that, although I also love in Cali so that's a moot point.

Bob3

Car(s)
Mk7 golf TDI
Nope, I still have full emissions so it sounds completely stock. That's what I wanted. The DPF silences everything, the stock rear muffler really doesn't do anything.

If you want exhaust noise you would need to emissions deletes. I'm not interested in that, although I also love in Cali so that's a moot point.
I’m also not interested in the deleting anything I just wan a better looking exhaust. Thanks for the info I have been looking for the answer to this for months!

Lastking

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT

Hi bro, it looks amazing. do you have a picture of underneath the car by any chance?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hi bro, it looks amazing. do you have a picture of underneath the car by any chance?
I'll try to get one later, but there's not much to see. Mk7 TDI's in NA have torsion beam, so the factory exhaust comes over the beam (on the left side of the car) then into the muffler, normally with single output.

My shop cut the factory exhaust right at the muffler, welded in the Y pipe and added pipe to each side. I chose matte black 3" tips which they welded on also.

If your car has IRS your factory exhaust should come through the middle (I think) but still end up at a muffler, then out on one side. Your shop could do the same thing though, cut at the muffler then custom work after that.

If you still have the DPF the sound won't change, the muffler isn't doing much.