GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BabblingBafoon’s 2019 US Golf R Mk7.5 Build

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
You might want to consider wrapping it with Xpel or Suntek and then Ceramic Coat it so it’s better protected against road elements

I’ve never heard of or seen these. It’s a good idea though! Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve never heard of or seen these. It’s a good idea though! Thanks for the recommendation.

A buddy of mine xpel’ed most of his RS4 and did the CC, it cost him an arm and a leg, close to 5k if I recall and his paint and the clear coat is well protected and looks superb, with the effort that you are putting into your build it just makes sense [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
Went to two body shops today, one does all kinds of custom hot rods and stuff. They said I pretty much already did as much as anyone could do, and that it is likely just how it was molded (very slightly off in a couple spots). They said anything they could do to fix the bad side would also ruin the good side. And, as I said to my wife, it’s still better than a Tesla Model 3. [emoji23]

So, because of this, I installed the QuikLatch QL-38 hood pins today. The passenger side pin helps with the alignment ever so slightly, and I adjusted the stock latch to help straighten the center portion over the VW emblem. I’m pretty happy with it, but I need to wash it pretty badly. LOL

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
A buddy of mine xpel’ed most of his RS4 and did the CC, it cost him an arm and a leg, close to 5k if I recall and his paint and the clear coat is well protected and looks superb, with the effort that you are putting into your build it just makes sense [emoji16]

Will have to see if I can find a place local that does that. Sounds like a good investment… like you said.

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
Went to two body shops today, one does all kinds of custom hot rods and stuff. They said I pretty much already did as much as anyone could do, and that it is likely just how it was molded (very slightly off in a couple spots). They said anything they could do to fix the bad side would also ruin the good side. And, as I said to my wife, it’s still better than a Tesla Model 3. [emoji23]

So, because of this, I installed the QuikLatch QL-38 hood pins today. The passenger side pin helps with the alignment ever so slightly, and I adjusted the stock latch to help straighten the center portion over the VW emblem. I’m pretty happy with it, but I need to wash it pretty badly. LOL

That looks quite discreet, crazy shine that hood has, did you get to weigh the old hood by any chance?

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
OP you’re doing a great job, I like these threads, I won’t like everything you do but it’s nice to see a fellow enthusiast enjoy his build and it also gives us some ideas on what and how things look, keep the posts coming [emoji16]

Agreed on this. It's your ride, do what you like. If they pay for it then maybe it might matter, but it's still your ride.

Some are just in here to try and feel superior behind a keyboard. Others like to claim they're more mature than 'ricers' yet put others down like it's high school.

You do you. It's unlikely anyone will like everything you do. It's why each build is unique.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
Agreed on this. It's your ride, do what you like. If they pay for it then maybe it might matter, but it's still your ride.

Some are just in here to try and feel superior behind a keyboard. Others like to claim they're more mature than 'ricers' yet put others down like it's high school.

You do you. It's unlikely anyone will like everything you do. It's why each build is unique.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement! I agree with everything you said. :D

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
Life has been super busy and the pollen is out of control! I'd love to get some glamour shots of the car now that it's pretty much done from a "looks" department, but I can't keep it clean and can't find the time to go somewhere cool to take some pics. I can literally wash my car in the morning and by sunset it's yellow again! LOL

One other thing, I had ordered a spare tire "kit" from ECS Tuning and the ship date kept getting pushed out further and further. Luckily I got onto their online chat today and simply asked if I could order individual parts since it looked like the spare tire itself was in stock... the person placed all of the individual parts into my cart and that allowed me to see that the foam tool insert and the rear plastic moulding piece were what was stalling the order. So I removed those (and some of the other things I actually already had) and placed my order. I should have the spare tire by mid next week at the latest! That will let me sleep better. LOL

I have read from others that the spare tire will fit with the stock plastic moulding... you just need to sort of force the tire in, but the plastic bends to allow it. Because of this I may skip that piece. I also already have a bag that fits most of the tools, so may find something to hold the jack, jack handle and lug wrench together and forego the foam tool insert as well to save on both the money and the room under there. I currently keep my dog hammock under the rear deck lid and it would be nice to be able to keep doing that.

Once I get things and situate them in the hatch I will take some pics and share what I did.

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
I *just* got word that my Oettinger front spoiler/splitter is on its way to the reseller and should arrive within 1-2 weeks! That’s got me pretty excited!

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
I saw your post in the “what you did today section” asking about where a steering wheel upgrade was done, if you want to upgrade I suggest you reach out to TAW Chicago on Instagram, their work is top notch...

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
I saw your post in the “what you did today section” asking about where a steering wheel upgrade was done, if you want to upgrade I suggest you reach out to TAW Chicago on Instagram, their work is top notch...

Thanks! Will do that.

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
Received and installed the spare tire in the car. The Fender sub fits in it perfectly and I decided I’m not going to order the rear plastic piece with the tire cutout as the stock one just bends out of the way easily.

I DO have to come up with a better solution for the jack, crank handle and lug wrench to store them more securely, but they are out of the way for now. I just worry that they will come out of this area during spirited driving.

I am thinking some black or gray foam that I can cut spaces out for each thing should do the trick.

Bummed, but the emergency roadside kit won’t fit under the floor with the tire installed. I just stuck it to the back of the rear seat with the Velcro that’s mounted on it. It stays put. I may eventually come up with a different container/bag to store everything from it under the floor for a cleaner look. Maybe more of the black/gray foam.

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
Received and installed the spare tire in the car. The Fender sub fits in it perfectly and I decided I’m not going to order the rear plastic piece with the tire cutout as the stock one just bends out of the way easily.

I DO have to come up with a better solution for the jack, crank handle and lug wrench to store them more securely, but they are out of the way for now. I just worry that they will come out of this area during spirited driving.

I am thinking some black or gray foam that I can cut spaces out for each thing should do the trick.

Bummed, but the emergency roadside kit won’t fit under the floor with the tire installed. I just stuck it to the back of the rear seat with the Velcro that’s mounted on it. It stays put. I may eventually come up with a different container/bag to store everything from it under the floor for a cleaner look. Maybe more of the black/gray foam.

Looks good, you have the best of both worlds now [emoji16], spare tire and tire repair kit

BabblingBafoon

Ready to race!
Looks good, you have the best of both worlds now [emoji16], spare tire and tire repair kit

LOL, no doubt! I will definitely sleep better at night now, and not cringe *quite* as bad when I hit all the nasty pot holes here in Pennsylvania. Winters are not kind. I honestly can’t believe I haven’t gone through at least one wheel and tire yet. My last car, with slightly taller sidewalls, went through 4 tires and 3 wheels in just 18 months of owning it!