GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insurance Gti Vs golf R

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I think you may want to find another insurance company.

R’s vehicle price costs considerably more than a GTI yet the insurance is much cheaper.

But the claim history is obviously better for the R, hence lower rates with most (if not all) insurers. Makes sense - the R is priced out of reach for many younger drivers, while the GTI is affordable to just about anyone who can spring for a new car.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
I think you may want to find another insurance company.

R’s vehicle price costs considerably more than a GTI yet the insurance is much cheaper.

I've been with Cincinnati Insurance, Erie and now MetLife and its always been the same deal. I'm paying 506 a year on full coverage/limits on our 17 Passat and 576 a year on my 19 GTI. Everything has scaled via replacement cost.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Whatever you're doing.....don't let that drive your decision. I made that mistake looking at a Golf 2.slow vs a MKIII GTI VR6....and regretted it EVERY single day I owned that car. Difference in insurance is SO minute when compared to what you REALLY want.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Whatever you're doing.....don't let that drive your decision. I made that mistake looking at a Golf 2.slow vs a MKIII GTI VR6....and regretted it EVERY single day I owned that car. Difference in insurance is SO minute when compared to what you REALLY want.

Bingo. Unless it’s a crazy jump and in that case shop around. Now motorcycle insurance the bike will matter. Liter bikes were always out of my budget on insurance cost tripling or more over smaller bikes.

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine came up in their system as a Golf R 4Motion. I figured the cheaper rate is a combo of better experience rating and maybe the presence of AWD...other than that it has the same safety features as the GTI did in terms of lane departure, sensors etc.

But yeah don’t let it drive your decision, buy the car you want and can otherwise afford. I bought a GTI first and it was a great car, but if I could do it again I would have bought an R in the first place. A small insurance difference is pretty small in the big scale of cost to operate a car.