GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Golf R Owner, Upgraded from GTI

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone! Did my first commute to work in it today, even more excited than usual for quitting time today :)

What’s a paint protection wrap? I’m guessing I’ll Have the car for 4-5 years based on my history.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Funny thing about that...i actually went there to get an oil change on the GTI. I had it in the back of my head that a DSG Golf R was on my wish list but really had zero plans to buy one any time soon.

Got bored waiting for my car so started wandering around the showroom, they had a sharp looking blue Rabbit GTI and while looking at that I struck up a conversation with a sales guy who is a self proclaimed car nut. Showroom was slow so we chatted about all kinds of car stuff. Good guy to chat with.

We talked about test drives in general and He kind of mentioned how he needs to vet who he lets into a GTI or R for a test drive as they don’t want to run mileage up on them, let punk kids drive who have no intention of buying them waste km’s etc. He said that I seemed to know my stuff, mature, already drive a GTI etc so he could likely get the ok to take me out an R. I say “ok, well my car still isn’t ready so I’m good if you are!”
Off we go, the car is amazing, he says “I have to warn you, I need to show you some numbers or my boss will think we’re just out joyriding”, which I expected.

Numbers were very good, he can see I’m a bit interested and actually offers to let me take the car home for the afternoon by myself and show my wife. Now that shocked me. So after stopping by my friend’s house (who is a big car nut) I eventually make it to my house, wife gives the green light, back I go, haggle a bit more and next thing you know I own a Golf R.

Most expensive oil change I’ve ever had :)

LOL. I gotta be that guy. This is a sales tactic and it worked on ya. This wasn't fate. This was you being sold a car. The sales guy "struck up" a conversation with you, not the other way around. Why do you think service centers exist at dealerships, and why is the waiting area conveniently at the other end of the building, across the showroom floor, or right next to the show room? It's all by design. With that said, congrats and welcome to the club. My '19 R has about 100 miles on it and I, too, once owned a GTI. The GTI was fun but it was never as fun as the R seems to be. I can't wait to let 'er rip.

Last edited:

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
LOL. I gotta be that guy. This is a sales tactic and it worked on ya. This wasn't fate. This was you being sold a car. The sales guy "struck up" a conversation with you, not the other way around. Why do you think service centers exist at dealerships, and why is the waiting area conveniently at the other end of the building, across the showroom floor, or right next to the show room? It's all by design. With that said, congrats and welcome to the club. My '19 R has about 100 miles on it and I, too, once owned a GTI. The GTI was fun but it was never as fun as the R seems to be. I can't wait to let 'er rip.

Yeah probably, but I'm better off for it :) Beyond getting sold a car it was actually a good 40 minute chat about all kinds of car things most of which had nothing to do with VW, so it was a fun conversation regardless of whether I ended up buying a $40k car or not lol

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
What’s a paint protection wrap? I’m guessing I’ll Have the car for 4-5 years based on my history.
Google Xpel PPF and go down the rabbit hole of protecting your car!

I got it on the entire front and roof for about $2000 US. The whole car would have been about $6000 US which was a bit pricey. However, it's already taken a couple hits which gouged the film but not the paint so it's already done its job!

I may get the rest of the car covered at some point. It's definitely worth a look.

But if you're really only going to have the car a few years, it might not be worth the cost but could help in trade-in or resale value down the road.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
Yeah probably, but I'm better off for it :) Beyond getting sold a car it was actually a good 40 minute chat about all kinds of car things most of which had nothing to do with VW, so it was a fun conversation regardless of whether I ended up buying a $40k car or not lol

Hell yeah. Price doesn’t even matter. As long as you’re happy with your decision, regardless of how you got there.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm curious how much you got in trade and how much the discount was. Was there any miles on the car?

Did you finance the GTI, through VW credit?

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious how much you got in trade and how much the discount was. Was there any miles on the car?

Did you finance the GTI, through VW credit?

All in $CDN, they gave me $21,000 on the trade, took $5,000 of MSRP plus I got a dealer parts credits for a snow tire package. The R had around 100km on it before i test drove it. GTI was financed through VW credit.

Congrats! Fellow east coaster here! Good deal? I am tempted to do the same thing!

Thanks! I’m in the Halifax area too as you might have been able to tell from the photo :)

I guess after posting the info above I'll find out if i truly got a good deal, but I’m happy and nothing could wipe the grin off my face driving this car!

Supercup

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats on your new R!

Paint protectoin or clear film like _ xpel ultimate or suntek for the front, the hood, the mirrors etc. to protect the paint from rock chips etc.

I usually do this to all my cars - but did not on my R - I got minw 18 in April 18 and I now have 34,xxx miles - the front bumper and hood show a lot of chips from general road debris, so the paint protection wrap or clear film would have been a good idea.

Great car as a daily driver with DSG and fun car overall - enjoy!