GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
COILOVERS.... let's talk

I've researched BC and KW v2..... Looks like the MINIMUM drop is 2". I'm looking to move over to coilovers vs DG springs (ease of install) and need the minimum drop to be no more than about .5"-1" max.

Anyone know a set of coilovers that fit that bill?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
COILOVERS.... let's talk

I've researched BC and KW v2..... Looks like the MINIMUM drop is 2". I'm looking to move over to coilovers vs DG springs (ease of install) and need the minimum drop to be no more than about .5"-1" max.

Anyone know a set of coilovers that fit that bill?

I have a set of Dinan coilovers that fit that description, but they don't make them anymore. I'm still torn on whether to install them because the gti is my daily and gets snow time.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I have a set of Dinan coilovers that fit that description, but they don't make them anymore. I'm still torn on whether to install them because the gti is my daily and gets snow time.
Any other makers?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have the Dinan coilovers. They have been great so far. Have 17k miles on them. Some say they are the same as Solowerks which are still available. I haven't verified this though.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I have the Dinan coilovers. They have been great so far. Have 17k miles on them. Some say they are the same as Solowerks which are still available. I haven't verified this though.

I've looked up the specs and they're way different. Solowerks have a much lower range and way stiffer springs. The Dinan ones are only 10 or 15% stiffer than factory. They're still listed for sale at Urotuning, but not for the price we got.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've looked up the specs and they're way different. Solowerks have a much lower range and way stiffer springs. The Dinan ones are only 10 or 15% stiffer than factory. They're still listed for sale at Urotuning, but not for the price we got.

Good to know. Was about to look it up out of curiosity.

As far as the Dinan, they are 16% stiffer in front and 17% stiffer in back from gti. Of course I have a Golf so it's an even bigger difference.

The Dinan spring rates
F 204
R 270

Stock rates (thanks Twindad):

Golf 130f/165r
GSW. 140f/175r
Gti 175f/230r
GolfR 195f/245r

Couldn't find Solowerks spring rates anywhere, but Dinan are advertised as 0.75_2" lowering vs 1.4-2.4" lowering on Solowerks. Guess you're spot on about lower range.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

As far as the Dinan, they are 16% stiffer in front and 17% stiffer in back from gti. Of course I have a Golf so it's an even bigger difference.

The Dinan spring rates
F 204
R 270

Golf 130f/165r
GSW. 140f/175r
Gti 175f/230r
GolfR 195f/245r

Couldn't find Solowerks spring rates anywhere, but Dinan are advertised as 0.75_2" lowering vs 1.4-2.4" lowering on Solowerks. Guess you're spot on about lower range.
MonkeyMD

Perfect.... Thanks for this! I'll look up Dinan

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm going to pay for one weeks worth of use for the Carista app. Can I use the OBD plug in device that I already have with the Carista app? And can I use it on a friends car also or does the Carista app get married to the car it was initially used on?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I'm going to pay for one weeks worth of use for the Carista app. Can I use the OBD plug in device that I already have with the Carista app? And can I use it on a friends car also or does the Carista app get married to the car it was initially used on?

Yes you can use a third party OBD plug but it must be wi-fi if using an iPhone,

https://caristaapp.com/help#what-hardware-do-i-need-in-order-to-use-carista

There is also a free trial available that might be useful if you only want to do a couple of things,

and no it is not married to the car.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

The Dinan spring rates
F 204
R 270

Golf 130f/165r
GSW. 140f/175r
Gti 175f/230r
GolfR 195f/245r

Would like a few more with coilovers to chime in..... Looking for coilovers I can slap in and only drop my car .5-.75"

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Last edited: