GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 7.5 Golf R jerky transmission problems

Fractal_Noise

Hey everyone, this is a cross post since i didn't realize that i posted it in the GTI forums instead of the R one. My car is 2018 Golf R with a DSG, and is only six months old.

So my problem is that whenever i slow down to >10 km/h, for example coming up to a yield sign, and then accelerate again the car does this jerking motion like the clutch isn't engaged and then it catches.

Its like the rpm's rev up slightly and then it engages which throws a hard jerking motion. I've been searching vigorously online for someone who has the same problem as me or at least knows a fix but to no avail.

I've also taken it to the dealership twice and they said that i found a weird "anomaly" in the DSG system and that they cant fix it. I honestly feel like it can be fixed but i don't know enough about cars in general to dispute that so that's why i'm posting here.

Another thing that has also come up that it hasn't done before is when it shifts from first gear to second, it also does a slight jerking motion but not as hard. I feel like that's related to original issue and that its only getting worse. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Born_Into_This

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 R
Any chance you are just feeling the movement of the engine due to the weak stock engine and transmission mounts?

With good reason mounts are one of the most commonly recommended modification for these cars. Dogbone helps some, but going with a full set really improves the driving experience at the expense of a small increase in NVH(assuming you don't go with a race oriented setup).

Valdre78

I have a 18 dsg as well, I noticed when I am very light on the trottle coming from a stop it does the same thing. Mostly because it wants to shift into 2 ASAP. I don’t there really much to do about it. However when I cruise and on a street where there a stop almost every block, I use sports mode, and it improves the jerky 1-2 dramatically. Mostly because unless I go to a full stop it will stay in 2nd. The jerky motion is directly related to the speed of the shift. Kinda like when you are riding with someone who drives manual and shift at low rpm quickly, instead of smooth and synchronized. Hope this helps a bit

bradst3r

Ready to race!
I have a mk7 R 6 speed DSG and mine been doing it since day one. It's just the characteristics of DSG. I thought I read somewhere that's one reason Audi switched from DSG/S Tronic on most of their models to get away from the jerkiness..

nate704

Go Kart Champion
You need to learn how DSG functions and it's up and downside. DSG anticipates next gear change based on many factors, and if you do something outside of that, such as slow down and the stop/yield sign and accelrate, that's something DSG not expecting, hence it tries to find the next sutable gear combination and that's when the "jerkyness" happens.

and MOST delear/techs do not know this... sadly...

Fractal_Noise

Any chance you are just feeling the movement of the engine due to the weak stock engine and transmission mounts?

With good reason mounts are one of the most commonly recommended modification for these cars. Dogbone helps some, but going with a full set really improves the driving experience at the expense of a small increase in NVH(assuming you don't go with a race oriented setup).

Hmmm maybe, but it feels like its more to do with the DSG shifting weird. I don't know a lot about cars so i can't be 100% certain

I have a 18 dsg as well, I noticed when I am very light on the trottle coming from a stop it does the same thing. Mostly because it wants to shift into 2 ASAP. I don’t there really much to do about it. However when I cruise and on a street where there a stop almost every block, I use sports mode, and it improves the jerky 1-2 dramatically. Mostly because unless I go to a full stop it will stay in 2nd. The jerky motion is directly related to the speed of the shift. Kinda like when you are riding with someone who drives manual and shift at low rpm quickly, instead of smooth and synchronized. Hope this helps a bit

I'm gonna have to try it in sports mode and see if it helps

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I think your car is trying to decide whether to downshift into 1st or stay in 2nd depending on your throttle angle (input) and speed. The MK7 GTI I had was the 6sp DSG and the computer got confused often during a crawl. Some times it was so bad I could step on the gas and there will be like a 2 full sec pause of no reaction from the car before it decides I'm asking for 1st gear instead of 2nd.

To prevent those situations I always forced the car into 1st gear while coming up to a yield from a crawl. Then the car does not have to decide and just accelerate from 1st gear, no hesitation.

I also recommend you look into DSG tunes for your car if there are any available. They appear to improve the overall behavior of your DSG in full auto mode.