GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my DSG Tuned?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Is there a way to detect if a DSG has been tuned? Bought my car from the original owner and it had an APR tune on it.
Anyways:
I know most tunes add the “M1, M2, etc” function when in manual mode but do all of them?

The reason I ask is Sport mode works really well, better than I remember it on the 2015 I used to drive.

Thanks!

Sent by raven from Castle Black

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Is there a way to detect if a DSG has been tuned? Bought my car from the original owner and it had an APR tune on it.
Anyways:
I know most tunes add the “M1, M2, etc” function when in manual mode but do all of them?

The reason I ask is Sport mode works really well, better than I remember it on the 2015 I used to drive.

Thanks!

Does it say D1, D2 etc or S1, S2 etc when in Drive / Sport? This is what DSG tunes add.

In manual mode it stays the same as it is with the factory tune: 1, 2 etc.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Does it say D1, D2 etc or S1, S2 etc when in Drive / Sport? This is what DSG tunes add.

In manual mode it stays the same as it is with the factory tune: 1, 2 etc.

It doesn’t. That’s why I figured it’s not tuned. Didn’t know if all tunes add that function.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
It doesn’t. That’s why I figured it’s not tuned. Didn’t know if all tunes add that function.

I believe they all do but not 100% certain on that.

I’ve read that you can use your VIN to inquire with APR as to which tunes have been applied.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
I believe they all do but not 100% certain on that.

I’ve read that you can use your VIN to inquire with APR as to which tunes have been applied.

They didn’t show DSG tune. Figured maybe one of those plug-in types they sell online.
S mode is just really civil vs. my Mk6 and that other Mk7. Shifts at 3K RPM when putting around.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
They didn’t show DSG tune. Figured maybe one of those plug-in types they sell online.
S mode is just really civil vs. my Mk6 and that other Mk7. Shifts at 3K RPM when putting around.

Kind of does sound tuned but without the D1/D2... on display, I didn’t think that it is.

You could also look at the features of the APR TCU tune and run some tests. For example, they probably raise the launch control RPM.

Gives you an excuse to go do some launches. [emoji573]

hammermortyy

Sorry for bumping an old thread but couldn't find much on this topic since most people just ask if their ECU's have been tuned. I just picked up a 2019 GTI SE and I'm wondering if my TCU has been tuned. I know my ECU hasn't because it isn't quick and the car won't go above 126 MPH. However in normal drive mode I have D1, D2, D3 ect and I've read that it should just show D if you aren't tuned. This makes me wonder if my ECU was tuned and has been reverted but my TCU is still tuned? Reason I ask is I want to tune the car and I've heard loading tunes on top of tunes can be problematic. I want to make sure I'm working with a clean slate. Thank you in advanced!

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Sorry for bumping an old thread but couldn't find much on this topic since most people just ask if their ECU's have been tuned. I just picked up a 2019 GTI SE and I'm wondering if my TCU has been tuned. I know my ECU hasn't because it isn't quick and the car won't go above 126 MPH. However in normal drive mode I have D1, D2, D3 ect and I've read that it should just show D if you aren't tuned. This makes me wonder if my ECU was tuned and has been reverted but my TCU is still tuned? Reason I ask is I want to tune the car and I've heard loading tunes on top of tunes can be problematic. I want to make sure I'm working with a clean slate. Thank you in advanced!
It's not unheard for the gear numbers to still show up after uninstalling the TCU tune, specifically those who were tuned via a Cobb accessport (possibly other tuning platforms as well). So possibly your car was tuned before, ECU and TCU, they uninstalled/unmarried the Cobb Accessport (with tunes) and your left with the gear indicators. Might want to look around for other visual indicators under the hood that there were modifications. Marks on fasteners from tools, clamps that don't look too be in original position, etc. A lot things under the hood have visual indicators of where the bolt or clamp was at assembly, marked with a paint pen. If they no longer line up, that's an indication it was removed or moved at some point. Specifically intake and downpipe would be most common to be altered. Good chance your car was tuned and put back to stock.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
How does it behave? you have a 2019 with a DQ381 7-speed DSG, the factory tunes on those are tuned to drive and feel more like a torque converter than the 6-speed DQ250 did.

It sounds like yours WAS tuned for sure - but depending on how it currently behaves, it could either still be tuned or have been reverted to stock.

hammermortyy

It's not unheard for the gear numbers to still show up after uninstalling the TCU tune, specifically those who were tuned via a Cobb accessport (possibly other tuning platforms as well). So possibly your car was tuned before, ECU and TCU, they uninstalled/unmarried the Cobb Accessport (with tunes) and your left with the gear indicators. Might want to look around for other visual indicators under the hood that there were modifications. Marks on fasteners from tools, clamps that don't look too be in original position, etc. A lot things under the hood have visual indicators of where the bolt or clamp was at assembly, marked with a paint pen. If they no longer line up, that's an indication it was removed or moved at some point. Specifically intake and downpipe would be most common to be altered. Good chance your car was tuned and put back to stock.
I just checked it out. Currently everything in the engine bay appears to be stock. I noticed some marks on bolts/screws on the intake so that was probably changed out. The downpipe doesn't appear to have been touched. So perhaps it was an intake and a stage 1 tune. I have noticed when I drive it the blow off/diverter valve sounds quite a bit louder than my previous MK7 but I didn't know if that was due to the DSG or it being a facelifted car. Maybe it has a turbo muffler delete? I can't see that and everything appears to be hooked up properly.

Do you guys know what the procedure is to tune over something like that?

@Dog Dad Wagon I'm not sure what a "normal" DSG feels like but this doesn't feel quite like a torque converter car in stop and go traffic; but I don't have a baseline to say what is normal.