GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 01-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
dmsyr

Drives: 2015 GTI, 2006 Toyota Corolla XRS
RFB Headlights on my GTI with Lighting Package?

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered previously. I searched for quite some time for an answer to my question but couldn't find one. My 2015 GTI has the lighting package and I want the RFB headlights (or equivalent) but pretty much every site I found them on says that they are NOT compatible with LP GTI's? Is that really the case? If so, why? Also if this is the case, is there anything that can be done to make them compatible?

Thanks in advance.
dmsyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsyr View Post
I'm not sure if this topic has been covered previously. I searched for quite some time for an answer to my question but couldn't find one. My 2015 GTI has the lighting package and I want the RFB headlights (or equivalent) but pretty much every site I found them on says that they are NOT compatible with LP GTI's? Is that really the case? If so, why? Also if this is the case, is there anything that can be done to make them compatible?

Thanks in advance.
The wiring harness is different on a LP equipped car.

Nobody’s gonna make an aftermarket downgrade headlight for a car that came with superior lights. Your OEM lights are much higher quality and work a lot better thanks to the adaptive function that turns and levels them automatically.

So with all that said, yes it can be done. You’d need to swap harness with a non LP car. This swap has been done in the opposite direction (non LP car addding OEM LP lights) but it’s very expensive & time consuming

-Jake
Gti jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
dmsyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti jake View Post
The wiring harness is different on a LP equipped car.

Nobody’s gonna make an aftermarket downgrade headlight for a car that came with superior lights. Your OEM lights are much higher quality and work a lot better thanks to the adaptive function that turns and levels them automatically.

So with all that said, yes it can be done. You’d need to swap harness with a non LP car. This swap has been done in the opposite direction (non LP car addding OEM LP lights) but it’s very expensive & time consuming
Damn. Pretty much the only reason I want them is for the double horseshoe which looks cool as shit. What about Golf R headlights... Are those plug and play or no? I'm new to the VW game so I'm trying to learn all this stuff.

Edit: Just found on vwvortex that I'd need numerous other items to get the golf R headlights to function properly. Sigh...

Last edited by dmsyr; 01-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Sc629

Drives: 2015 golf 1.8T
Quote:
Damn. Pretty much the only reason I want them is for the double horseshoe which looks cool as shit. What about Golf R headlights... Are those plug and play or no? I'm new to the VW game so I'm trying to learn all this stuff.

Edit: Just found on vwvortex that I'd need numerous other items to get the golf R headlights to function properly. Sigh...
I think it's only two modules and coding. Doesn't seem too bad
Sc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
dmsyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc629 View Post
I think it's only two modules and coding. Doesn't seem too bad
Yeah I'd have to do some more research on the subject to see exactly what I need and what needs to be coded. I mean I love the lighting package which is basically the only option I wanted when looking for a mk7 last year but the single DRL just doesn't look as good as the dual imo.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:13 AM   #6
Sc629

Drives: 2015 golf 1.8T
Quote:
Yeah I'd have to do some more research on the subject to see exactly what I need and what needs to be coded. I mean I love the lighting package which is basically the only option I wanted when looking for a mk7 last year but the single DRL just doesn't look as good as the dual imo.
It may actually be 4 modules needed for the swap but this link has a nice guide in the description https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-.../5g1998753bkt/
Sc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
seanmcd

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn
Quote:

Wanting that inner U to light up is a terrible reason to swap those lights.
seanmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #8
dmsyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
Wanting that inner U to light up is a terrible reason to swap those lights.
Replace terrible with petty and I'd agree with you.