GOLFMKV

Brake Fluid Flush Necessary???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Just order brake fluid flush machine from DAP with the fluid catch bottle. How many liters of brake fluid do I need? Sorry for all the questions guys...lol

Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
every 2 yrs..

yes you can test the stuff in the mater cylinder & it may have no water in it....

BUT that says sod all about the fluid which has been stuck in the pistons/lines since the last fluid change....which may have water in it...as the fluid does not re-circulate...

I got my dealers to do as I spent too long sorting the brakes discs/pads out & did my back in...cost inc fluid was cheap & I know them & they know me...& car was in for MOT anyway..

usually I do my own stuff...& have done the past 20+ yrs..

Tsi7

Ready to race!
By the time the everyday driver thinks "hmmm, the pedal is mushy", it's way way way past time to change the fluid.

He's adapted to the change gradually, and doesn't realize it's as bad as it is. A fresh driver coming in would immediately notice long before the regular driver notices.

I was just saying that Kevin's point about doing it when your rotors and pads needs replacing is probably going to be around 40 to 50k mark, which for the normal driver I would say is about the norm brakes last, and it would also equate to around 3 years of driving which would fall in place with most manufacturers maintenance schedules

An everyday driver probably has no idea what a mushy pedal is... So of course it's way past the time to change the fluid

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
US book says brake fluid at the 3 year mark and every 2 years after, for the GTI. The R could be different and include mileage I guess.

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Bad advice.

Terrible advice. The brakes may seem fine, until you have to make a panic stop and then the pedal goes to the floor.

Most manufacturers specify a 3 year brake fluid service interval, while BMW says every 2. I do mine every 2 years because it's cheap.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Once you buy the tools it is a really easy service to do, I don't see why its not a yearly thing just for peace of mind. Just grab a beer on a lazy sunday afternoon and bleed the brakes out. I do mine every thanksgiving just to make it easy to remember. The fluid is like 15 bucks and it takes an hour of my day, I don't see the big deal.

adam1991

Banned
Terrible advice. The brakes may seem fine, until you have to make a panic stop and then the pedal goes to the floor.

Most manufacturers specify a 3 year brake fluid service interval, while BMW says every 2. I do mine every 2 years because it's cheap.

No kidding.

Last year we bought, from some friends, a 10 year old Honda Odyssey with 33K on the clock. The brakes were TERRIBLE.

I just knew that he had never, ever changed the fluid. And I was right. The moment it got new fluid in there, everything was...well, was as right as a 4500 pound minivan can be.

cb1111

Worse than terrible advice. But then braking is way too overrated.

Oddly enough, the same people who will change their oil every 2k miles and argue about if Royal Poopie is better than anSOIL or whatnot, are the same people who think that it isn't necessary to change out brake fluid.

adam1991

Banned
Worse than terrible advice. But then braking is way too overrated.

Oddly enough, the same people who will change their oil every 2k miles and argue about if Royal Poopie is better than anSOIL or whatnot, are the same people who think that it isn't necessary to change out brake fluid.

HA!

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
As is common, the usual cast of characters here disagree with anything that is not what they believe is correct and completely disregard real-world results as well as point to the owner's manual as the word of God as if disregarding the OM the day after you hit a specific time or mileage causes the car to blow up. That's not how the world works.

If a car is stopping properly and the pedal is not mushy (also indicative of air in the system) there's not enough water in the fluid to require a change. Unless it's also time to change brake pads and/or rotors, there's no need to do this service even if recommended in the manual.

Though, if you're under warranty and could be denied free service on the brake system, that might be a reason to do the service even if not necessary. Otherwise, if the brakes are working properly, they are working properly. Unnecessary service, even if cheap, is unnecessary service.

Status
Not open for further replies.