GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4, Should I remove?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I have an appointment at the dealer for oil sippage around the plastic cover on the passenger side of the engine. It looks like it's been sipping out between the cover and engine and toward the back of the engine and I can see the oil at the bottom of the engine.
My question is if I need to remove the JB4 unit for this visit.
What is your thoughts on this?
ALso, anyone having the similar issue?
Mine only has 14k miles on it currently.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Yes and yes. Had the cover replaced when I had my new gearbox as it was weeping and the entire cover complete was cheaper than the seals on their own.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Everything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not a performance issue so I don't think the tech has a reason to scan your car. Do you have any relationship with the service adviser?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
i've decided not to take my car in since removing JB4, TIP, and DP is a lot more hassle. I already ordered the required parts ~$44 shipped from DAP, and will do it myself. I do not trust the techs at the dealers anyway.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
No.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Ask Wrath & Tears. I always wondered if techs take pictures and sends them to VW.

I'm going back to the dealer soon, I'll ask. I'm sure they take pictures, but not sure what the "reporting" policy is. Pretty sure they have to plug in the car to ODIS when doing warranty work (just to make VW happy), but I'll ask about that too. Removing the JB4 would be smart either way.

Honestly the upper timing cover is such a well known issue, that I can't imagine having the DP and TIP would raise any flags. The plastic is known to warp causing leaks. Not sure how or why, but I guess they also create some kind of squeak in some cars.

OP, hopefully you bought a whole new cover just in case yours is warped and that is why it is leaking. If you only bought seals, I would recommend buying some gasket maker / sealant to help create a really good seal. We use Loctite 518 at my shop.