GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Silverado on wet road

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I do what that truck did, except if the first car is trying to race me, GTI in this case, I usually do it long enough to get a decent gap between him and everybody else, then slide in behind him. I can then get to the left lane usually and I have open lanes to do whatever I want.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Everyday, coming back home, have this scenario and you kind of have to weigh your odds. Either sit behind 10-15 cars while they're checking their messages and wait for 2 lights or get in the empty right lane and zip past as the light turns green and they are just then starting to put their phone down. I can usually time it because you can see the cross street light to where you're in 1st or 2nd in boost and just easily get past.

The biggest irritation is when you've already committed to right lane and someone from left pulls out in front so you're not the 1st. The worst part is they go fast enough to just stay even with the left lane car. Smh. Either put your for into it and get past or slow down to merge behind. People have no spatial awareness or ability to discern based on acceleration and speed where they're going to be relative to others. Then they end up stopping completely in the right lane (yes this does happen) or just trying to forcefully move someone over.

In the rare case that someone in the left lane has a equally fast car and launches immediately, we are usually well enough ahead of #2 where I can merge behind.

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
Let's face it: the odds of making this work were HUGELY in favor of the truck driver, from his standpoint.

It's a simple fact that a significant part of the driving pubic pays no attention to when the light changes, and/or have the reaction time of a bear waking from hibernation.

That another driver next to him was equally aware and ready to go, is no big deal.

I do what the truck does all the time--and without having to jerk off the line and speed. It's usually just a matter of being quicker to get to speed, and starting off when the light actually turns green and not 2-10 seconds later.

It's called playing the odds.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

eek,

your driving psychology makes me worry.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^

That quoted post is cryptically worded.

Paraphrasing: "You can usually get away with this kind of right lane take off/race to the merge simply because most people are paying zero attention at the light change"

Most people really aren't paying attention.

I usually take off pretty quickly from most lights and almost never find anyone else doing the same. I look back in the rear view and the other 9 cars at the light are just rolling off the line and I'm already at the speed limit.

One thing I really hate when coming to a light is when someone who has zero intention of accelerating has to pull into the empty lane instead of just sitting 2nd behind another grandma driver. Then they both take off and roll down the road together forming a slowpoke blockade.

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
Someone posted a reference to this book in another thread, but it’s quite relevant here and I suspect in many other threads in this forum. It turned out to be super-interesting.

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0307264785/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WGS5BbJGWZKR7

There is a lot of underlying evolutionary psychology emoting even small everyday behaviors, including driving and “spirited sprints.”

Anyway, good book with occasional counterintuitive studies that have challenged a few of my assumptions.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I ordered that book and just started reading it the other day. It is definitely interesting so far.