GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI rims are too young for me...

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
53 and I run the Austin's for my winter wheel.
Not my favorite design but when I have on I can see that they fit the car. The machined surface is bad on scratching but looks good spinning. I think the Austin wheel covers a wide age group also. I really like my OZ wheels. Not sure if age appropriate or not but I like them. Not just for looks but the 5lbs less weight is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Glad to get a figure on the weight savings going to OZ. Always wondered. I weighed one of my Austins and it was about 27 lbs. Seemed very heavy. I had heard that some of the OZ's were even lighter but a bit pricey.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Glad to get a figure on the weight savings going to OZ. Always wondered. I weighed one of my Austins and it was about 27 lbs. Seemed very heavy. I had heard that some of the OZ's were even lighter but a bit pricey.

OE Austin around 25lbs. 18x7.5
OZ Leggera 18.6lbs. 18x8.

I think very noticable when you switch.
Also with lighter brake disc and titanium bolts and they feel very smooth on interstate.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Agree with OP. Absolutely hate all the wheels that look like a food processor blade. They're horrible at any age, imo. Im 50 but can remember hating them at first sight years ago. Thankfully the 17 sport trim wheels exist. That and other reasons made me wait quite a while until a good used sport became available.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Does less rotating mass generally give a smoother ride?

Can not claim to be expert on the area but in relation to what I do for work, less weight can add to less negative impact. Any tire/wheels spinning is not perfect in balance and conisity. A heavier tire could impact vibration from spinning due to the extra weight. If a tire is less in weight (balanced the same) then it should offer less negative impact. A lighter tire/wheel can also have better rolling resistance level. My comment of smoothness is related to acceleration feel, high speed vibration and handling in turns. I know other mods add to it but after installing lighter wheels and later lighter brake discs the best way to describe the feel is smooth. Also over bumps with less weight the car is upset less.

Edit. I will also add that when I to my Firestone Indy 500 tires they also added to this high speed smoothness. A very good DD tire which does well in the rain. There are better high performance tires but they are not the best DD tire for me.

Just my thoughts on it.
But it is cheaper to stay stock!

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Available OEM wheels are mostly fug.

Pretoria and Nogaro are the only nice ones. Austins are okay, Dallas and Englishtown(especially) are seizure inducing. The smaller size Pretoria in black are also okay looking but not as nice as the silver.

2018s got ugly wheels. Englishtown are the worst, those are like mandatory replacements on a 40K car.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The Detroit rims are very GTI related, one of the most beautiful rims VW ever made.
I got one extra rim left over (refurbished) after I sold my mk6. I made a café table of it. OP can make 4 tables…

I'm a boy of 64...:D:D.

Pic from my office:

Awesome job, that table looks really cool

Chad M

Austin’s for winter, silver Pretoria’s for summer.

I’m not as old as the OP, but I also don’t think age has any part in what wheel you run. You either have good taste or you don’t.

I happen to think the Pretoria is probably the nicest stock wheel I’ve ever seen on a VW...so there, lol

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Also over bumps with less weight the car is upset less.

Just my thoughts on it.
But it is cheaper to stay stock!

Simple physics with less weight there is less inertia to overcome. One reason heavy vehicles have a smoother ride than lightweight vehicles. It takes a lot more energy to upset a heavy vehicle than it does a light weight one. Basically unsprung weight vs sprung weight. All things being equal of course.
A taller softer sidewall with lower tire pressure is probably going to make a bigger difference, but of course you loose the instant turn in response. Basically dropping down to lighter 17" wheels gives you a more comfortable ride.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Interesting. I had assumed current Audi hubs were also 57.1. Good information to have when I start the hunt for some OEM+ replacements haha.

Current A3,s3 and r8 yes, but not other Audis

Have to go pre 2012 for a4. Not sure about other models