GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT vs LITTCO

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Great write up - I will add that right now you can get the entire 2k package for 1800 for preorder of their EQT, which definitely makes it a great value....I plan to do extensive testing with Hoon so everyone sees the differences between the two! Like Hoon said both turbos look like great options

Sounds good man, I've got no problem tuning on 92 octane to match your PNW fuel.

We'll agree on a dyno procedure and do the best we can to go apples/apples from across the country. :D

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Sounds good man, I've got no problem tuning on 92 octane to match your PNW fuel.

We'll agree on a dyno procedure and do the best we can to go apples/apples from across the country. :D

Sounds like a plan brother

tytus1994

Ready to race!

I so can't wait for this comparison. I too like the aspect of quicker spool but having a little more power sounds good too. It will be great to see the comparison.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lowbeta

Great thread.. these two turbos have peaked my curiosity and seeing them together in a compare and contrast scenario is very helpful!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Excellent post! Agree!

Both on pump gas, fuel system should not be the limiting factor.

EQT had HPFP, Littco had the better Euro fuel system. Big consideration on the pump gas numbers is the L450 was on much better fuel than the EQT, which is why it made more power when the dyno variance is accounted for.

All things equal, the EQT should fall between the L450 and L500...sort of an "L480".

Excellent write-up Hoon. question for both you guys though. I have a UM tuned IS38 R now. with flex fuel and port inj. would both these turbos just drop in and can use the same original location DP? oil lines and everything else would mate up I assume same as the IS38 locations and would re-use the same lines? I think UM would tune for either one? if i decide to do it thinking of doing the install myself then drive to tuner. under low or no boost...one last q and for HOON, still have another turbo in mind. LM500 from germany. https://www.turbolader24.de/VAG-EA888-Upgrade-Turbolader-LM500 how do you think it comapares to both EQT and Littco? I asked UM and they can tune for it. ..thanks much!!

littco

Ready to race!
Excellent write-up Hoon. question for both you guys though. I have a UM tuned IS38 R now. with flex fuel and port inj. would both these turbos just drop in and can use the same original location DP? oil lines and everything else would mate up I assume same as the IS38 locations and would re-use the same lines? I think UM would tune for either one? if i decide to do it thinking of doing the install myself then drive to tuner. under low or no boost...one last q and for HOON, still have another turbo in mind. LM500 from germany. https://www.turbolader24.de/VAG-EA888-Upgrade-Turbolader-LM500 how do you think it comapares to both EQT and Littco? I asked UM and they can tune for it. ..thanks much!!

The LM500 is another turbo that uses the SL2R turbine wheel.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

L450, EQT and L500 bolt up and use stock lines, and UM would be happy to tune any of them. With port injection and flex fuel you should see killer power, especially from the EQT and L500.

The LM500 is not one I've done much research on. I tried to at one point but the limited info I could find was in German. Price point is well above these two also. Only speculation here, but if it's using the same hot side, I can't imagine there's a huge variance in compressor compared with EQT and the L500.

You can do the EQT pre-order for $1845 shippped with the muffler delete and charge pipes. I'm not sure it makes any sense to pay $3200 for the German version which has no US distribution or support in the US, and probably is very close power wise. Unless someone has more info on this turbo that changes the equation...

H22hatch

Ready to race!
So essentially, L500 and EQT both slot in somewhere in-between a Boss500 and Boss600 but with way better spool-up? Am I reading all this information correctly?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey guys, thought I'd weigh in on this. There's some great info here overall, so I'm happy to see this type of comparison. I don't have any direct experience with Littco turbos, but they seem to make a quality product.

The first aspect I'd like to touch on is spool. I think our Vortex turbo is a closer comparison to the L500 in overall power capability, but based on the few dyno charts I've seen, I believe our turbo spools quite a bit faster and likely much closer to the L450. Spool has a lot to do with good matching of the compressor and turbine wheels as well as the turbine housing size. Although we use the larger TD06Sl2 turbine, we really tried to optimize the turbine housing size to provide the best response while still keeping the turbo efficient at higher boost and power levels. We ended up giving up only about 300-400RPM of spool when compared to an IS38.

Here's a chart showing spool in a DSG Golf R in 4th gear on flat road:

And here's a recent dyno chart from a GTI on 91 Octane. This one is comparing to the Tomioka offering, but the main take-away is the excellent spool:

Compared to an IS38, we basically give up torque bellow 3500RPM and then leave it in the dust the rest of the way. And although there is definitely some extra lag down there, the turbo still builds partial boost easily bellow 2000RPM making it very drivable and keeping the cars peppy in every day conditions. The smoother onset of power also help with traction in FWD vehicles, although 1st and 2nd gears do require quite a bit of traction control to put power down ;).

As far as overall power capabilities, its very tough to compare different dynos. All I can say is that on our dyno, the turbo makes around 440whp on 91 Octane and over 500whp on E30. We will be tuning a couple on full E85 soon, so we should see where it really caps out. For a point of reference of how our dyno reads, my personal Golf R does about 430whp on full E85 on the stock IS38 and traps 121mph. A GTI with the same power should trap a couple mph higher. Now that I'm done with the IS38, I'll finally be installing one of our turbos on my R so I can push it to its limits and show what it can do on the track and drag strip.

Our turbo is also fully VSR balanced in a state of the art facility that builds turbos for companies like Garret. As many are aware, we did have one failure to date. We replaced the turbo immediately and upon inspection of the failed unit, we found the issue to be a manufacturing defect. Although it was a completely isolated failure, we worked with the manufacturer to take extra steps to ensure better quality control that will help us avoid any other issues. Other than that isolated issue, we have many new customers running these turbos with zero issues.

Finally, we're trying to offer an excellent price point, but we also strive to offer the best possible customer service and experience. We will be offering package deals with other parts and tuning solutions. And we are always here and very happy to help with any questions or issues, technical or otherwise. I believe this is a big factor when deciding what company to work with.

I hope this helps to clear up some more details and I'm thrilled to be part of this community and the development of this amazing platform. There are a lot of turbo options out there with new ones popping up almost daily. This can definitely be hard to navigate for a customer, so please feel free to ask us any other questions and we'll do our best to answer accurately.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Also, where is the EQT pre-order information?

The pre-order has been a little bit of a soft launch for people who contacted us directly. But we'll have a bigger announcement very soon.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
HPFP merely a consideration for either the EQT/L450 or is it a requirement? What's being left on the table if it's not upgraded?

On GTI's I've found that the stock fuel system is fine for our turbo on pump gas. Nothing being left on the table at that point. For Golf R's we generally need to upgrade the HPFP for pump gas and both HPFP and LPFP for Ethanol.

-- Ed