GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

first Bilstein B16 Damptronic coilover

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
can you give us any more detail?
how comfortable is comfort? normal? sport?
How is the turn in and follow through of the rear?
Pitch and dive deflection under hard braking and acceleration?
Does it rotate more or less neutrally?
Can you feel the valving working mid corner?
Do you feel the contact patch stays more or less consistent?
What tires/size are you running and what alignment spec?

Also, no offense, but I call BS to 30mm not changing suspension geometry. 30mm is A LOT (1.18 inches for the Americans), and the majority of suspension components will be sitting at vastly different angles now compared to before. The only minimal change will be caster. The rest, including 75% of your bushings will be sitting under compression and at different angles. This is why VW took parts from some of their lower cars to produce the clubsport s.
how about funks come have a test drive in my car since he's 30mins from me and he can write a review

funks

Ready to race!
how about funks come have a test drive in my car since he's 30mins from me and he can write a review

I’ll probably be buying the MSS track pack kit, going to Laguna Seca for a track day or HPDE? Might be able to make pants on seat eval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I’ll probably be buying the MSS track pack kit, going to Laguna Seca for a track day or HPDE? Might be able to make pants on seat eval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

actually, a track comparison between an mss kit and the bilstein would be quite interesting. I still think MSS claims a lot of voodoo, but I'd be interested for a comparison between them. Too much to ask for a same tire comparison? lol:p

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I only go when they have a AMG Private Lounge members day....

Last edited:

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
if a inch is to low for your taste then keep your stock suspension and you do realize I'm only a 1/2 lower than a MKII TT-RS....

my impressions are these were anticipated for a release date for over a year, I and one other guy happen to get our hands on a set of pre-release kits so here they are you can continue to wait for Bilstein to keep moving the release date and pay the price of $2500-$3600

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
if a inch is to low for your taste then keep your stock suspension and you do realize I'm only a 1/2 lower than a MKII TT-RS....

my impressions are these were anticipated for a release date for over a year, I and one other guy happen to get our hands on a set of pre-release kits so here they are you can continue to wait for Bilstein to keep moving the release date and pay the price of $2500-$3600

There are other reasons to get an aftermarket suspension than "going lower". I need better matched spring/shock combo with more valving to help midcorner adjustments and transition rate. That's my interest in these coilovers.

So, all I'm hearing is "Look at the new shiny i got before you! And guess what, you can't have it because I have the ultra-mad cool pre-prod kit! hahaha." If you don't know or understand the technical end, that's fine, just say so. Not everyone has actual driving experience and spends time tweaking little things to get faster, and that's perfectly fine. Some people race/track and some people drive to get coffee. It is what it is, but don't give out hope for review/detail when you don't know...

You rubbing it in our faces that you have something and won't share any actual information is not a good contribution to a forum; it's just petty and elitist. Good luck with your mad cool coils and your AMG pseudo-elitist lifestyle, bro.

/Cheers

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Oh well this thread just went from a nothing burger to a shit sandwich real quick.

Carey

I can add some details on real-world results of the B16 Damptronics on a 2017 MK7 Golf R

Moved from stock to B16's with Voshlag camber plates and a custom track alignment from Growler Motor Labs.

The suspension is much firmer now using comfort for daily driving is a requirement.
Ride heights are set at 13.5 in the front and 13.0 in the rear

My track setup is now:
the combination of 255 Indy 500's Bilstein B16, Volshlag camber plates, superpro rear swaybar, Stoptech 388 mm front disks.

On the track dropped over 6 seconds at ECR and now running under 1:09 at MSR 1.3 mile course. (both in North Texas)

Autocross times with 245 RE-71's vs the 500's has also greatly improved, but as we never run the same layout twice I don't have measured before and after times

Now the Bad, the B16 front coils are super wide, much wider than the stock springs.
They limit the camber you can run to just over -2 Deg. as they hit the inside of the strut mount tower.
So we did gain some camber over OEM but nothing close to the -2.7 to 3.0 deg target.

Now working to purchase custom springs for the front and rears to allow these performance coilovers to be used as intended

#FastTXCanuck

Last edited:

TechnicR

I can add some details on real-world results of the B16 Damptronics on a 2017 MK7 Golf R

Moved from stock to B16's with Voshlag camber plates and a custom track alignment from Growler Motor Labs.

The suspension is much firmer now using comfort for daily driving is a requirement.
Ride heights are set at 13.5 in the front and 13.0 in the rear

My track setup is now:
the combination of 255 Indy 500's Bilstein B16, Volshlag camber plates, superpro rear swaybar, Stoptech 388 mm front disks.

On the track dropped over 6 seconds at ECR and now running under 1:09 at MSR 1.3 mile course. (both in North Texas)

Autocross times with 245 RE-71's vs the 500's has also greatly improved, but as we never run the same layout twice I don't have measured before and after times

Now the Bad, the B16 front coils are super wide, much wider than the stock springs.
They limit the camber you can run to just over -2 Deg. as they hit the inside of the strut mount tower.
So we did gain some camber over OEM but nothing close to the -2.7 to 3.0 deg target.

Now working to purchase custom springs for the front and rears to allow these performance coilovers to be used as intended

#FastTXCanuck

Thanks for the update, I've been looking at these coilovers for the Golf R. I've had them on my 2009 370z that i used for autox and track and everyone loved the ride quality around town and performance cornering at the limit with 285/35/19 RE71R's square. The oversize spring is a concern i have the goal to hit near -3 camber for the track on this. I'm looking forward to your custom spring mod on this one.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Thanks for the update, I've been looking at these coilovers for the Golf R. I've had them on my 2009 370z that i used for autox and track and everyone loved the ride quality around town and performance cornering at the limit with 285/35/19 RE71R's square. The oversize spring is a concern i have the goal to hit near -3 camber for the track on this. I'm looking forward to your custom spring mod on this one.

-2 static is plenty for this car.

Carey

Golf R front camber for track and autocross

Front tire wear after a track day or an Autocross event tells a different story
inside half the fronts are like new but the outside half is baked and clearly doing all the work
Even with optimized pressures, 255 tires have a 15-20C temp range across the width of the tire after a 20 min session

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

I've got -2.2 currently and I get rollover. I've gotta push the pressure to keep front consistency. I'd say the front needs at least 2.5 up, but 3 is a good goal. On Hoosier 2.5 I'm sure would be a minimum requirement. Those tires really like 3 though.

SRoads

Ready to race!
I've got -2.2 currently and I get rollover. I've gotta push the pressure to keep front consistency. I'd say the front needs at least 2.5 up, but 3 is a good goal. On Hoosier 2.5 I'm sure would be a minimum requirement. Those tires really like 3 though.

Do you have swaybars also? I'm assuming the hoosiers are R comps. What are your alignment settings?