GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rev9 Exhaust

Travis9935

Ready to race!
First impressions.

Fitment was good. I only had about an hour to mess with it, so quick and dirty. Put the ass end up on ramps and went to town. I have the full aero underbody panels added, and there was a slight area touching the rear axle cover. I left it for now. I'll address it tomorrow.

I also left the rear exhaust tunnel cover off, mainly because I ran out of time. I'll see if I can get it back in there tomorrow too. Might have to wrestle that section of pipe up a bit. The middle one, of the catback.

Tips are big, but don't look as bad on the car as I expected them to. Was a little fiddly trying to adjust the hangers to get it to sit centered. I got it good enough. After a short test drive it got close on one side. More tweaking tomorrow.

Sound. Well, I am pretty sure touching the rear exhaust cover cause a major vibration between 2000-3000rpm. Besides the armrest vibrating a little, wasn't too bad. The tone has been transformed in a huge way, for the better.

If I had to assign a single frequency to the setup, before (CTS catted DP and stock catback), i'd say it was strongest in the 110hz range. Assessing the rev9 catback, i'd say it's a solid 80-90hz now. A low bassy note. Not as raspy or higher pitched as before. I'm in love with this part.

So, tomorrow, planning to check fitment all over. Make sure I can get the rear exhaust cover back on. Possibly trim the axle cover.

Also, after doing the magnet test, the hangers are definitely going to rust to hell. Welds will as well. Lots of iron content there. I hope the tips stay pretty in Pennsylvania's salty ass winter. I try to spray the underbody down at least once a week to get the salt off. We'll see.

All in all, I am thrilled with the purchase. Once I track down the vibration, I will report on drone. TBH, I couldn't say I had enough to bother me before the catback. It's not likely I will have issue with it, but i'll report anyway.

Pics:

How's the drone on the interstate?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I trimmed the rear axle cover and now I'm sure the exhaust isn't touching anywhere. Unfortunately, the rear exhaust tunnel cover will not fit with the catback on there. Is have to cut a huge notch in it for the pipe.

Took it out for a short drive and the low frequency vibration is still there. It's only under load and right in the drone sweet spot, 2500-3000rpm. inside the car, I hear it mostly in the armrest latch. If I hold it there, it doesn't rattle. It's very similar to a test tone, about 80hz, with a decently powered sub.

I'm nearly certain its just droning now. Way worse than the stock catback was, with the same downpipe. I'm going to grab the vibrant and give that a try next. When I install it, I'll cut the taper off the downpipe too. I'd rather it be 3" all the way.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I trimmed the rear axle cover and now I'm sure the exhaust isn't touching anywhere. Unfortunately, the rear exhaust tunnel cover will not fit with the catback on there. Is have to cut a huge notch in it for the pipe.

Took it out for a short drive and the low frequency vibration is still there. It's only under load and right in the drone sweet spot, 2500-3000rpm. inside the car, I hear it mostly in the armrest latch. If I hold it there, it doesn't rattle. It's very similar to a test tone, about 80hz, with a decently powered sub.

I'm nearly certain its just droning now. Way worse than the stock catback was, with the same downpipe. I'm going to grab the vibrant and give that a try next. When I install it, I'll cut the taper off the downpipe too. I'd rather it be 3" all the way.

Thank you for providing so much information on this catback. Lots of us eagerly await your progress posts to see how this turns out. I was originally considering the Borla S type, but its double the price and I don't imagine there will be that big of a difference between these 2 setups.

Interesting that the hangers are not made of the same material. If the hangers/welds are rust concern points I might tape them all off before install and hit them with some rustoleum high heat paint. Should keep them from rusting out over time, especially in salty conditions.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I’d highly recommend installing the 17950 further back where the cutout in the tunnel for the OEM resonator is rather than just sticking it across the downpipe/CBE connection

Two reasons:

-Resonators work best in the center of the car where the cut out is

-The closer to the turbo any muffler or resonator is mounted the shorter it’s lifespan will be. This applies to any and all using fiberglass packing

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I’d highly recommend installing the 17950 further back where the cutout in the tunnel for the OEM resonator is rather than just sticking it across the downpipe/CBE connection

Two reasons:

-The closer to the turbo any muffler or resonator is mounted the shorter it’s lifespan will be. This applies to any and all using fiberglass packing

Thanks. Will do. Planning on grabbing a few feet of pipe to mate to the DP, then to the vibrant res, replacing the longer "hotdog" res in the catback.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Cold start video from this morning:

https://youtu.be/-p6uCTvMZRo

Still in the same form. CTS DP (with reducer) to rev9 adapter (2.5-3") through rev9 catback with no modifications.

Should have the vibrant res in the next few days and will dive back in to get it fitted.

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
Cold start video from this morning:

https://youtu.be/-p6uCTvMZRo

Still in the same form. CTS DP (with reducer) to rev9 adapter (2.5-3") through rev9 catback with no modifications.

Should have the vibrant res in the next few days and will dive back in to get it fitted.

I can't wait to hear what this sounds like between 2500-3200 and at WOT with the Vibrant resonator. That cold start and idle sound slightly more aggressive than my CTS catted dp and stock cbe.

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!

Two reasons:

^
This, and you probably won't have room with the front cross brace. When I was test fitting I found the body of the canister would not clear that brace.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

Did you remove the plastic thingy in the armrest? If not that can help with the annoying resonance.

BiH_GTI

I got mine. Installed as well. Fitment is pretty good. Besides i messed up i have to fix it. The 3 in pipe to eliminate 2.5 adapter is about inch to long and pushed the exhaust back. So i will try to fix it over weekend. Didn’t install tips because they touch bumper probably due to being pushed back. It sounds good not to loud beside the drone or vibration nkresho was mentioning. 2400rpm to like 3000 or so. Thats usually on the highway. BUT SOUND REALLY GOOD WOT. And i did try to drive it without rear section to damn loud. My set up is CTS catless downpipe. I attached video before and after only on cold start.

https://youtu.be/NJS-ZgkNUAE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I got mine. Installed as well. Fitment is pretty good. Besides i messed up i have to fix it. The 3 in pipe to eliminate 2.5 adapter is about inch to long and pushed the exhaust back. So i will try to fix it over weekend. Didn’t install tips because they touch bumper probably due to being pushed back. It sounds good not to loud beside the drone or vibration nkresho was mentioning. 2400rpm to like 3000 or so. Thats usually on the highway. BUT SOUND REALLY GOOD WOT. And i did try to drive it without rear section to damn loud. My set up is CTS catless downpipe. I attached video before and after only on cold start.

https://youtu.be/NJS-ZgkNUAE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's hear some revs, drive bys & in car at 75-80 mph... Clips

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I'll work on in-car at some point soon. Gotta figure out how I want to mount my camera so it's not a shaky mess.

Before and after the vibrant is what i'll be going for.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I'll work on in-car at some point soon. Gotta figure out how I want to mount my camera so it's not a shaky mess.

Before and after the vibrant is what i'll be going for.
You got a decibel meter? [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3