GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intakes

Jdubz

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a K&N typhoon. Reasonably priced. Easy install and I enjoy the noises. No noticeable HP gain or anything but wasn’t expecting that

IVDUB1

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I went with a K&N Drop in and silicone hose from ECS. I also removed the snowguard and dremmeled out the stock inlet behind the grill. Its way better to just modify the stock airbox IMO you can get the kit from ECS Here
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/oe-performance-induction-package/010944ecs01akt/

Dry filters are superior to cotton filters like K&N that require oil to make up for the larger holes/worse filtration.

I wouldn’t suggest any oiled filter, especially in a turbocharged application. The oil is there to catch dirt, so if the turbo sucks the oil off the filter guess what’s coming with it. Yep, the dirt.

I have the cheap injen open intake, $180 new and built a grille scoop for free from a piece of scrap. Quality filter, perfect fitment, sounds awesome, and logs indentically to Shaggz car running the $800 CF IE intake (we both have my FMIC and stage 2)

matthew prior quotes

With a quality intercooler any intake is a good intake (this includes stock!)

Last edited:

IVDUB1

Dry filters are superior to cotton filters like K&N that require oil to make up for the larger holes/worse filtration.

I wouldn’t suggest any oiled filter, especially in a turbocharged application. The oil is there to catch dirt, so if the turbo sucks the oil off the filter guess what’s coming with it. Yep, the dirt.

I have the cheap injen open intake, $180 new and built a grille scoop for free from a piece of scrap. Quality filter, perfect fitment, sounds awesome, and logs indentically to Shaggz car running the $800 CF IE intake (we both have my FMIC and stage 2)

matthew prior quotes

With a quality intercooler any intake is a good intake (this includes stock!)
Hmm you have a point there. Never thought of it that way. Whats a good drop in Dry Filter?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I'm looking at getting the 034 P34 intake. Not super expensive and really like the design.

Your in luck son! Im selling my custom hand laid CF "35" intake (because 35>34). This has a proven 15% gain of whatever you want. Lighter, heavier, shinier, whatever for only 40% more than the competition! AND its one of a kind!

Attachments

• IMG_4436.JPG
    IMG_4436.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 228

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
ITG replacement foam panel filter....as used by VWracing..

these are oiled, but use a heavier/stickier grade of oil for "road" applications.....

I have previously(past 18yrs) run Green cotton & K&N & NEVER had any oil problems...

that's because I leave it to stand for 24hrs in a warm place on newspaper...then wipe the excess off...

Just spraying it loads & fitting it back in causes problems..

Also GTE front slam panel duct conversion..which is blank of rear left side & open up front right side....I did a how to & listed the parts..

Then heat shield the ducting from the air filter to turbo & turbo to throttle body...just the sides facing the engine..

The difference is quite a bit...my car pulls like its just started in cold air cold even after 1hr of demanding back road in 24C....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
ITG replacement foam panel filter....as used by VWracing..

these are oiled, but use a heavier/stickier grade of oil for "road" applications.....

I have previously(past 18yrs) run Green cotton & K&N & NEVER had any oil problems...

that's because I leave it to stand for 24hrs in a warm place on newspaper...then wipe the excess off...

Just spraying it loads & fitting it back in causes problems..

Also GTE front slam panel duct conversion..which is blank of rear left side & open up front right side....I did a how to & listed the parts..

Then heat shield the ducting from the air filter to turbo & turbo to throttle body...just the sides facing the engine..

The difference is quite a bit...my car pulls like its just started in cold air cold even after 1hr of demanding back road in 24C....

Look at your green and k&n under a microscope vs a dry filter. It’s like a cheese grater vs a coffee filter.

And are you sure you didn’t have “oil issues” or you just assume your turbos compressor wheel wasn’t covered in oil.

You just assuming the flaws I pointed out with oiled filters would’ve had to been caused by improper maintenance is interesting to say the least. Why do you think dry filters were developed?

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
You just assuming the flaws I pointed out with oiled filters would’ve had to been caused by improper maintenance is interesting to say the least. Why do you think dry filters were developed?

You appear to be assuming they are flaws.

Do you have evidence from the products identified that filtration is worse or that "oil issues" arise?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Look at your green and k&n under a microscope vs a dry filter. It’s like a cheese grater vs a coffee filter.

And are you sure you didn’t have “oil issues” or you just assume your turbos compressor wheel wasn’t covered in oil.

Never had the oil come off the panel filters...& will never have it come of the ITG foam either as that oil sticks to the filter more as its a heavier grade...

also re oil issues...one thing that makes me laugh ..many so called "oil on turbo wheel" problems is NOT air filter oil but oil vapour which happens to pass through the engine oil crankcase breather separator...

Remember that this feeds back into the air intake before the turbo & after the air filter...& using a thinner oil makes this happen more....& its not a problem...the engines are designed to cope with this.....unless your drinking the stuff & blowing blue smoke...:eek:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Never had the oil come off the panel filters...& will never have it come of the ITG foam either as that oil sticks to the filter more as its a heavier grade...

also re oil issues...one thing that makes me laugh ..many so called "oil on turbo wheel" problems is NOT air filter oil but oil vapour which happens to pass through the engine oil crankcase breather separator...

Remember that this feeds back into the air intake before the turbo & after the air filter...& using a thinner oil makes this happen more....& its not a problem...the engines are designed to cope with this.....unless your drinking the stuff & blowing blue smoke...:eek:

Different kind of oil sir. Engine oil from the PCV will not stick to the blades, it’ll pool in the inlet and charge pipes...completely different.

I’m speaking from experience on other applications, not specifically my mk7, but as you can see I’m correct thanks to third party lab tests posted above. Dry filters are superior.

Sorry, but if you’re gonna upgrade make sure it’s actually an upgrade. That’s why my car has always been equipped with a dry filter.

They asked, I explained. You’re welcome

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Different kind of oil sir. Engine oil from the PCV will not stick to the blades, it’ll pool in the inlet and charge pipes...completely different.

I’m speaking from experience on other applications, not specifically my mk7, but as you can see I’m correct thanks to third party lab tests posted above. Dry filters are superior.

Sorry, but if you’re gonna upgrade make sure it’s actually an upgrade. That’s why my car has always been equipped with a dry filter.

They asked, I explained. You’re welcome

Point taken, But in 20yrs I've never had any problems.....& I doubt I will with the ITG foam one as it uses a heavier grade of oil than the Green cotton & K&N filters...

As for lab results, pretty much every filter company etc in any field will proved lab results which are in their favour....so I tend to take them with a heathy dose of scepticism...

BTW..ITG ones are made for VWracing...you know VW motorsport....so pretty good..mind you they are made here in UK....like my VWR alloy wheels...which I got "unbranded VW" direct from the original manufacturer with their branding on...:cool:

Masses of performance cars, tuinners etc use good oiled filters & offer warranties when used as part of upgrade kits etc...I think most problems is people over oiling & not letting them stand/drain for 24hrs before use...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Point taken, But in 20yrs I've never had any problems.....& I doubt I will with the ITG foam one as it uses a heavier grade of oil than the Green cotton & K&N filters...

As for lab results, pretty much every filter company etc in any field will proved lab results which are in their favour....so I tend to take them with a heathy dose of scepticism...

BTW..ITG ones are made for VWracing...you know VW motorsport....so pretty good..mind you they are made here in UK....like my VWR alloy wheels...which I got "unbranded VW" direct from the original manufacturer with their branding on...:cool:

Masses of performance cars, tuinners etc use good oiled filters & offer warranties when used as part of upgrade kits etc...I think most problems is people over oiling & not letting them stand/drain for 24hrs before use...

Foam filters are a whole different ball game

With years of racing motocross and gncc a well maintained foam/oiled filter never let me down. I’d highly recommend NoToil brand cleaner & oil as it’s life changing when you’re washing a dozen filters or more per month

With that said I have zero experience with them in a turbo application