GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Evo Performance Driving School

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Anyone have any experience with Evo performance driving school? I spectated the NER autoX event last weekend in Ayer, MA and several people mentioned it would be a good way for someone new to get as much course time as possible in a single day.

I'm signed up for the July 15th Phase One course at Devens. They advertise 24 runs during a full day school with an instructor in the car to provide feedback.

I'm excited to give it a go. This will be my first autoX event in any car. Ready to learn as much as possible and have some fun!

Let me know if any of you have tips for a first timer. I've read through Dutch's thread and several others so am hoping I have a decent (admittedly basic) understanding of the sport and some idea of what to expect going in.

Right now I'm running the stock suspension with APR stage 1 tune + intake, IE intercooler and stock Austin's wrapped in 225/40 MPSS. Not a very competitive setup from a classing perspective, but I'm excited to learn how to be a better drive, and see what the car can do = )

Last edited:

SilverSurfer1

How did this work out for you?

Was it fun? How much did it cost you? Did you have performance tires for the event?

I'm curious to find out. I wouldn't mind trying something like this myself. Do tell.

Thanks.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I had an amazing time. I did the Evo 1, single day autocross school. We had 20 runs total (10 of them where an instructor sat shotgun) plus a few more where the instructor drove to demonstrate how to navigate the course and what times the car was capable of. Instructors were top notch (there were three of them and I got time with each).

Total cost was I think around 200 but could've been like $150? Well worth it in my opinion.

I drove with 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the stock wheels and they performed great. Kept PSI at around 40 front and rear (cold) all day to limit rollover. Only mods at the time were APR stage 1, closed intake, dogbone insert, muffler delete, and ecs clutch bleeder valve. Car was great!!

Overall, I was able to accumulate roughly the equivalent seat time as three or four autocross events in a single day and benefitted from personal instruction, experienced a variety of different elements (slalom, chicago box, sweeper, chicane, carousel), and participated in brief/debreif team huddles.

Would highly recommend.
How did this work out for you?

Was it fun? How much did it cost you? Did you have performance tires for the event?

I'm curious to find out. I wouldn't mind trying something like this myself. Do tell.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SilverSurfer1

Now you got me jacked. $200 is not bad at all. I'm definitely doing this. Unfortunately, looks like it's going to be next year at this point, as we get deeper into fall. My car will be bone stock though. But not a terrible thing as I'll be able to experience the differences as I do my upgrades along the way, first being summer tires.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Yeah I think bone stock is the way to go for your first time. I would recommend getting some sticky summer tires beforehand though. Will improve the experience substantially (there are tons of threads on tire width; do your homework before you buy - its a big investment).

Soak it all in; listen, stay humble and (most importantly) have fun!! Oh... and prepare to get hooked ;)

Now you got me jacked. $200 is not bad at all. I'm definitely doing this. Unfortunately, looks like it's going to be next year at this point, as we get deeper into fall. My car will be bone stock though. But not a terrible thing as I'll be able to experience the differences as I do my upgrades along the way, first being summer tires.