GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade From Composition Media To Discover Navigation

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
When you say hacked, I assume you are referring to having the component protection removed or is it something else?
I Think Hacked means all the options are open, without the need to activate them

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
When you say hacked, I assume you are referring to having the component protection removed or is it something else?

There are companies who (I'm not entirely sure how; it's a trade secret) can remove Component Protection on a unit whilst it still has all the FeCs enabled, so the unit becomes plug and play.

Downsides are you can't update the firmware, and a VW dealer will hate you for the error codes it'll throw.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
So, update on this...

I bought and fitted the MIB1 Discover Media unit together with a GPS antenna and Fakra lead connecting it. The sat nav and other functions worked as far as was allowed by the component protection being active. I had component protection removed today and now the sat nav does not work - gives a message of - 'Navigation: function is not supported' and when the phone button is pressed it says - 'Telephone not available'. I have not done any coding yet with VCDS. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

ofektal8

Passed Driver's Ed
So, update on this...

I bought and fitted the MIB1 Discover Media unit together with a GPS antenna and Fakra lead connecting it. The sat nav and other functions worked as far as was allowed by the component protection being active. I had component protection removed today and now the sat nav does not work - gives a message of - 'Navigation: function is not supported' and when the phone button is pressed it says - 'Telephone not available'. I have not done any coding yet with VCDS. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
You Will Need to activate NAV just like you activate app connect, only a dealer can

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
The article by Shapeshifter applies to modified unit (or hacked in authors words) and non-modified unit’s differences and what needs to be done to get them working. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30577

These are the FeC's I know of from my MIB1 to MIB2 conversion article. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600

For reference, these are the FeC’s I know of:
5G0054830A - App-Connect $208
5G0054809 - Driving Modes. $118
5G0054802 - Voice Activation. $138.
5G0054802A - Voice Activation with Navigation. $230
5G0054801 - Driver Alert.
No FeC for Performance Monitor that I know of.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So, update on this...

Thanks.

The dealer didn't get the FeCs transferred over - get them to sort it

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Some good info here, thanks.

IWMTom - you went from Composition Media (MIB1?) to Discover Pro Navigation MIB2 if I am correct? Did you retrofit a hacked unit or a non hacked unit? From shapeshifter's thread here- https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30577 if I now understand correctly, there is no way of having navigation working on a non hacked unit? When CP is removed and the link is made with the servers in Germany, the servers send back the info related to the VIN of the car being worked on, in this case one that does not have navigation fitted from the factory but... what is odd is that the original unit had a phone button which worked and now does not so that would seem the FEC for at least that (and presumably more) have not been done correctly. To be honest the dealer hadn't a clue what they were doing I don't believe and at first told me they weren't sure that they could remove component protection. They charged me €71 to do it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Some good info here, thanks.

IWMTom - you went from Composition Media (MIB1?) to Discover Pro Navigation MIB2 if I am correct? Did you retrofit a hacked unit or a non hacked unit? From shapeshifter's thread here- https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30577 if I now understand correctly, there is no way of having navigation working on a non hacked unit? When CP is removed and the link is made with the servers in Germany, the servers send back the info related to the VIN of the car being worked on, in this case one that does not have navigation fitted from the factory but... what is odd is that the original unit had a phone button which worked and now does not so that would seem the FEC for at least that (and presumably more) have not been done correctly. To be honest the dealer hadn't a clue what they were doing I don't believe and at first told me they weren't sure that they could remove component protection. They charged me €71 to do it.

Yes, I used a hacked unit.

Transferring the FeCs is a seperate step that needs to be done after removing CP.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, thanks. Because my unit is not hacked, will it work if the FeC’s are transferred by the dealer though? My understanding (which may be wrong) is the FeC’s/options are unique to the VIN as stored on the servers in Germany and because this car does not have navigation from the factory, the relevant info will not be sent to it from Germany and as a result the navigation won’t work?

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
OK, thanks. Because my unit is not hacked, will it work if the FeC’s are transferred by the dealer though? My understanding (which may be wrong) is the FeC’s/options are unique to the VIN as stored on the servers in Germany and because this car does not have navigation from the factory, the relevant info will not be sent to it from Germany and as a result the navigation won’t work?

You'll never have navigation if your car didn't come with navigation originally, unless you get a hacked unit

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Fantastic. I wish I'd known that before buying a screen and main unit and a GPS antenna and a Fakra lead and two sets of radio release keys and then removing the old unit and fitting the replacement unit and then paying to have component protection removed. The whole point of this was to add navigation to this car. Total waste of time and money it would seem.

There is definitely no way to get navigation working on a genuine (non hacked) Discover Navigation unit taken from a car that came with navigation from the factory and has been then fitted into a car that did not have navigation from the factory?

ofektal8

Passed Driver's Ed
Fantastic. I wish I'd known that before buying a screen and main unit and a GPS antenna and a Fakra lead and two sets of radio release keys and then removing the old unit and fitting the replacement unit and then paying to have component protection removed. The whole point of this was to add navigation to this car. Total waste of time and money it would seem.

There is definitely no way to get navigation working on a genuine (non hacked) Discover Navigation unit taken from a car that came with navigation from the factory and has been then fitted into a car that did not have navigation from the factory?
Im Pretty Sure you can send it to someone so he can hack it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

Not without hacking it.

The navigation is pants anyway - just use Waze.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Any tips or info on getting it hacked? I'm thinking the cost will make it completely not worthwhile to achieve what MIB1 Discover Navigation offers in terms of performance. Can I even get it hacked now that component protection has been removed by the dealer?