GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWO Blown turbo's with less than 13k miles!

Edge-man

Does any of their documentation say that the replacement turbo was a brand new one. I wouldnt trust what the service guy / manager told you.

When I had my car done it did say that in the parts list. They don't make you sign anything related to warranty...

drummingcraig

Passed Driver's Ed
Just read this whole drama from start to finish. In the end, the one thing that has struck me as odd is why in the heck didn’t OP immediately call his home dealer (where the first turbo debacle occurred) and lay it on them? If he truly had a JB4 and removed it he would have had a much better chance with that original dealer working with him.

I know its easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but my absolute first call would have been to home dealership as soon as i suspected any subsequent turbo issues after having one replaced by them.

adam1991

Banned
Does any of their documentation say that the replacement turbo was a brand new one. I wouldnt trust what the service guy / manager told you.

Exactly. The whole "I had it in writing" that turned into "well, he said he would put a note in the file" conversation makes me wonder the same thing about this issue.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
Just read this whole drama from start to finish. In the end, the one thing that has struck me as odd is why in the heck didn’t OP immediately call his home dealer (where the first turbo debacle occurred) and lay it on them? If he truly had a JB4 and removed it he would have had a much better chance with that original dealer working with him.

I know its easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but my absolute first call would have been to home dealership as soon as i suspected any subsequent turbo issues after having one replaced by them.

I did call them. I even spoke to the same person who told me that I have a warranty. She hemmed and hawwed, and said she provided them the appropriate paperwork, showing that the car was returned to stock.

And YES, all new parts, the list was very extensive. I'm just LUCKY... But lesson learned...

And no, I didn't want to even attempt to tow it back being that there are a lot of twisty mountain roads to go through. I didn't want to take any chances. Even if I had it here, I don't know if the outcome will be any different.

I spoke to the tuning shop a little earlier who first did the reflash. He suggested I call VW customer care line, which I just did. Maybe they will work with me. At this point, I still have no idea what I want to do.

adam1991

Banned
Why not? They're the same people that told him "you got warranty, even if da turbo grenades again"

And again, clarity of communication is anathema around here.

"You got warranty" or "he said this tune maintains my warranty" seems to be tossed around here very very very loosely--and when clarified for the public, those people get nasty about anyone daring to call them on what they think is the truth.

I bet the OP's factory turbo would have blown on that trip to Vegas no matter what. If he had left it bone stock to run the kinks out, he'd be in a much better place right now.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
Why not? They're the same people that told him "you got warranty, even if da turbo grenades again"

And again, clarity of communication is anathema around here.

"You got warranty" or "he said this tune maintains my warranty" seems to be tossed around here very very very loosely--and when clarified for the public, those people get nasty about anyone daring to call them on what they think is the truth.

I bet the OP's factory turbo would have blown on that trip to Vegas no matter what. If he had left it bone stock to run the kinks out, he'd be in a much better place right now.

It was bone stock for 3mos/3k miles, before the JB4.

drummingcraig

Passed Driver's Ed
New with latest firmware. And to be clear, I'm not blaming the JB4... I blame myself. How does the saying go... "if it's sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

I was asking because it occured to me you might have picked up a used JB4 that had a user altered map and/or had not been reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
When I had my car done it did say that in the parts list. They don't make you sign anything related to warranty...

Its good to know that they used brand new ones.

Exactly. The whole "I had it in writing" that turned into "well, he said he would put a note in the file" conversation makes me wonder the same thing about this issue.

This dealer seems to be way sketchier than i thought initially. I wonder what kinda work they did the first time as OP didn pay a penny.

At least something noted in a document is better than any verbal statement.