GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has had their warranty claimed denied because of their tune / TD1 Code?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Lets try this again

I'm not interested in speculation, this thread's purpose was to be data driven.

I'm not interested in the VW warranty process, there is a great stick for that

I'm not interested in aftermarket warranties, make your own thread

I'm not interested in the handful of motors that weren't covered because of TD1, I consider those statistical outliers.

:rolleyes:

LOL I knew this was coming!

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
Blown motor

I guess I’m a statistical outlier....search for my thread “ post your engine failures”. Do you actually want to know if you have an over the counter tune if they ACTUALLY deny your warranty claim? If it’s something they can blame on an aftermarket part they most likely will, for example your ball joints wear out prematurely because you have coilovers....they probably won’t cover them. If your turbo blows and you have an unitronic tune....they probably won’t cover it...if you’re like me and your engines piston cracks and you’re stage 1 apr low output, you guessed it. They didn’t cover it.

I suggest you read through the thread, it’s helpful and has actual stories of people having their claims denied

Edge-man

I’m going through this right now at the moment I will keep the thread updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Does anyone know if a TD1 code will be thrown by the use of JB1 or JB4?

No, but if it's attached they will see it and can manually TD1 you.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Assume related to having an ECU tune.. look forward to hearing about this

I assume he does not have an ECU tune and he should not correct my assumption on the public forums :cool:.

tknj99

Ready to race!
I assume he does not have an ECU tune and he should not correct my assumption on the public forums :cool:.

Yea, i think its safe for us to assume this, he can keep that fact to himself ofcourse if he wishes.. would still like to hear the story nonetheless

HicBuda

Ready to race!
I felt it was necessary to maintain relative silence while my car was under the microscope at a dealer, I didn't know, for a failed turbo. Just felt like the right thing to do (leave unknowns unknown). Posted the story/outcome after the FACT. My turbo was not covered as well as the no coverage for contaminated intercooler and trashed downpipe and I'm sure some other bits. I will say that I was handed keys to a loaner for a week that didn't cost me anything even after the VW corporate report with a TD1 showed up.

But the OP's pic makes me feel a little better

eurojulien

I felt it was necessary to maintain relative silence while my car was under the microscope at a dealer, I didn't know, for a failed turbo. Just felt like the right thing to do (leave unknowns unknown). Posted the story/outcome after the FACT. My turbo was not covered as well as the no coverage for contaminated intercooler and trashed downpipe and I'm sure some other bits. I will say that I was handed keys to a loaner for a week that didn't cost me anything even after the VW corporate report with a TD1 showed up.

But the OP's pic makes me feel a little better

Was yours a '15?

Edge-man

So now I feel it's time to add my story... somewhere in Mexico...

2017 under 10K miles had the car under 5 months... had AP w/ MA performance stage 1 on the car. Turbo absolutely blew after 2k miles with AP. Flashed back to stock, and unmarried the AP. Goes to dealer, confirmed turbo is gone and engine is also gone. Dealer doesnt find tune. Dealer sends diagnostics over to VWofM and they dont find tune. 2 weeks later turbo/engine is replaced under warranty... I complained, and I got a top trim 18` GTI. So my two cents, Cobb does something different or I just got lucky...

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!

2017 under 10K miles had the car under 5 months... had AP w/ MA performance stage 1 on the car. Turbo absolutely blew after 2k miles with AP. Flashed back to stock, and unmarried the AP. Goes to dealer, confirmed turbo is gone and engine is also gone. Dealer doesnt find tune. Dealer sends diagnostics over to VWofM and they dont find tune. 2 weeks later turbo/engine is replaced under warranty... I complained, and I got a top trim 18` GTI. So my two cents, Cobb does something different or I just got lucky...

Whoa

emanon

Ready to race!

Damn, here i was hopeful 17s finally had the turbo issues sorted out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk