GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alignment TD1

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Need an alignment after springs/shocks and hear its best to take it to the dealer. Should I detune the ECU/TCU and swap the DP or just say F-it and bring it in bolted on and tuned up? Anything specific I should ask for as far as alignment specs are concerned? ie. can you ask for additional caster for more fender clearance or anything else relevant? TY.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I could be wrong but I don't think any VW dealer will set the alignment to anything other than factory specs, for liability purposes.

"Detuning" won't stop you from being flagged, but I don't see why a dealer needs to cable up, or care if you have a DP.

cb1111

I could be wrong but I don't think any VW dealer will set the alignment to anything other than factory specs, for liability purposes.

"Detuning" won't stop you from being flagged, but I don't see why a dealer needs to cable up, or care if you have a DP.

Correct. Especially if you make a appt and are in a hurry. Decline any multi-point inspections and the car wash.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
2 questions

why would the dealer have to hook up a scanner to do an alignment ?
why is the dealer the best ( only) option?

i am getting my car aligned this friday at ashop that does alot of track cars. not once did going to the dealer cross my mind.
only for the radar for front assist or ACC would i go to the dealer for an alignment. 0% chance for a wheel alignment

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
2 questions

why would the dealer have to hook up a scanner to do an alignment ?
why is the dealer the best ( only) option?

i am getting my car aligned this friday at ashop that does alot of track cars. not once did going to the dealer cross my mind.
only for the radar for front assist or ACC would i go to the dealer for an alignment. 0% chance for a wheel alignment

1. SOP? I dunno.
2. Thought I remember reading the dealer had special equipment to align our cars. If I'm wrong I'll find somewhere else to take it.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Juggar

Ready to race!
Get that wrong idea out of your head about "detuning" the ecu. Once you've tuned it, its over. If they plug into it with their equipment, it will see that its been tuned before. Thats the way it works.

Edge-man

My 2 cents, find a mod friendly dealer near you... about the "detune" and getting flagged I think there's a lot of mis-information out there...

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
My 2 cents, find a mod friendly dealer near you... about the "detune" and getting flagged I think there's a lot of mis-information out there...

So ODIS checks how many times any of the control modules have been flashed (as well as a lot of other things that I won't bother trying to explain). Headquarters knows exactly how many times your ECU should have been flashed because they have records of each time it was flashed by ODIS. If VWoA knows you are only supposed to have 4 flash counters, but you have 6, you get flagged right then and there.

Edge-man

So ODIS checks how many times any of the control modules have been flashed (as well as a lot of other things that I won't bother trying to explain). Headquarters knows exactly how many times your ECU should have been flashed because they have records of each time it was flashed by ODIS. If VWoA knows you are only supposed to have 4 flash counters, but you have 6, you get flagged right then and there.

Yep, like I said there's a lot of mis-information out there.

cb1111

Absolutely correct. The other thing that people don't understand is why manufacturers check and flag - to keep warranty fraud in check.

adam1991

Banned
Well, to keep costs down, anyway.

Is it fraud if an ignorant 20-something innocently brings his Stage 2 car in at 10K miles because it's acting funny? Eh. Maybe not. Whenever I see the word "fraud" I infer intent. And not every circumstance has fraudulent intent behind it.

But maybe that's just me.

Regardless, it's just good business sense by VW to make sure that what they're paying out for is something they've offered to cover.