GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Diffuser

drsiddiqui1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm planning and getting my rear diffuser wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. It would be much cheaper if I can remove it and take just that piece in to the body shop for the vinyl. My question is, is that black rear diffuser removable and if so anyone have a DIY? Thanks in advance!

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Apologies drs and to each their own, but why would you do that? Is someone really going to look at your diffuser and form a different opinion of you or your car? If it is just for you because you like faux carbon fiber vinyl I am sure you can crawl under the car and figure it out. I hope this doesn't sound harsh. I just don't get it. Congrats on the R.

drsiddiqui1

Passed Driver's Ed
Apologies drs and to each their own, but why would you do that? Is someone really going to look at your diffuser and form a different opinion of you or your car? If it is just for you because you like faux carbon fiber vinyl I am sure you can crawl under the car and figure it out. I hope this doesn't sound harsh. I just don't get it. Congrats on the R.
I like the way it looks myself. Don't customize my car based on what I think others will think.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Fair enough. I need to get under and check snug on all the exhaust bolts so while I'm there will take a look at the diffuser. It will be the weekend at earliest. ttyl

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I'd be concerned with the elements damaging the wrap back there over time.

lb1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm planning and getting my rear diffuser wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. It would be much cheaper if I can remove it and take just that piece in to the body shop for the vinyl. My question is, is that black rear diffuser removable and if so anyone have a DIY? Thanks in advance!

I can't say for the MK7 R, but I removed the rear diffuser on my late MK6 GTI. Not too hard except that it required removing the rear bumper. You may want to post your question on a forum such as http://www.vwroc.com where some Europeans folks have had their car for over a year and see.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Do you have a picture of this wrap that we could view?

drsiddiqui1

Passed Driver's Ed
Posted the same question in the vwvortex forums. I just got people asking me why I want to do that and to buy a real carbon fiber diffuser for over $600 if I want "weight savings". This black diffuser is already light as hell and I don't track my car. I just like the carbon fiber look but I guess that's not a good reason for them. Glad I'm not getting idiotic responses here. I think I'll stick to these forums lol.

Stevie1

Ready to race!
Posted the same question in the vwvortex forums. I just got people asking me why I want to do that and to buy a real carbon fiber diffuser for over $600 if I want "weight savings". This black diffuser is already light as hell and I don't track my car. I just like the carbon fiber look but I guess that's not a good reason for them. Glad I'm not getting idiotic responses here. I think I'll stick to these forums lol.

Firstly each to their own, no right or wrong here, just personal taste.

I'm definitely in the not bothered camp, but having said that. I think it looks ok, better than some of the tint wrapping - Or one poster on here who vinyl wrapped a wedge on his bonnet, I personally thought looked awful to me. (please don't be offended, just my taste).

Wondering if you would do the same with the wing mirrors? Again personal taste, not something I would do, but if you are going for a McLaren look might be worth considering.

Personally long term I would have the wing mirrors resprayed to match the body / or changed for a standard set.

drsiddiqui1

Passed Driver's Ed
Firstly each to their own, no right or wrong here, just personal taste.

I'm definitely in the not bothered camp, but having said that. I think it looks ok, better than some of the tint wrapping - Or one poster on here who vinyl wrapped a wedge on his bonnet, I personally thought looked awful to me. (please don't be offended, just my taste).

Wondering if you would do the same with the wing mirrors? Again personal taste, not something I would do, but if you are going for a McLaren look might be worth considering.

Personally long term I would have the wing mirrors resprayed to match the body / or changed for a standard set.
I was thinking about the side mirrors as well. But the side mirrors connect to the black window trim so there would be an obvious change in color. I'm sure it would look ok but might be a little too much carbon fiber for me. The diffuser is also at the bottom so wrapping that would be a very subtle change IMO.

Stevie1

Ready to race!
I was thinking about the side mirrors as well. But the side mirrors connect to the black window trim so there would be an obvious change in color. I'm sure it would look ok but might be a little too much carbon fiber for me. The diffuser is also at the bottom so wrapping that would be a very subtle change IMO.

Can't you just do the silver bit on top?

Another idea, there is show in the UK called wheeler dealers and they bought a second hand banger range rover. The took out loads of interior trim and got it carbon wrapped, Fixed the duff injector and resprayed it white. That looked really nice. Hard to see in the pictures below, but might be worth a try if you want to customise?

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/wheeler-dealers/photos/wheeler-dealers10-range-rover/

If you look through the steering wheel on the interior shot you can see it on the centre console.

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/wheeler-dealers/photos/wheeler-dealers10-range-rover/

Last edited: