GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to fix the turbo wastegate rattle on the Mk7 Golf 1.4lt TSI (140/150PS)

derekg612

Two dealers have denied there's anything wrong with our 1.4l tsi Jetta. I'm not sure if this car doesn't have the bronze shim or if the previous owner disassembled the mechanism and didn't put it back on. I decided to try to fit something in the gap from home depot to test if this part was truly where the rattle emanates from. My options were 5/8" circle clips, which I feared I may not be able to get back out, or a hitch pin. I used the hitch pin and tested the car. The rattle is gone and the car performs identically. I have a vcds and will check the actuator voltage tomorrow.

I know this is a less than ideal solution and was only for testing. However, what negative consequences will this have if I leave it in? It's zinc plated steel. What if I add some high temp lube?

Pics:
https://imgur.com/a/waJFRPH

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Two dealers have denied there's anything wrong with our 1.4l tsi Jetta. I'm not sure if this car doesn't have the bronze shim or if the previous owner disassembled the mechanism and didn't put it back on. I decided to try to fit something in the gap from home depot to test if this part was truly where the rattle emanates from. My options were 5/8" circle clips, which I feared I may not be able to get back out, or a hitch pin. I used the hitch pin and tested the car. The rattle is gone and the car performs identically. I have a vcds and will check the actuator voltage tomorrow.

I know this is a less than ideal solution and was only for testing. However, what negative consequences will this have if I leave it in? It's zinc plated steel. What if I add some high temp lube?

Pics:
https://imgur.com/a/waJFRPH

There are many different 1.4lt engines.....& numerous wastegate actuator/turbo versions...yours may not have the bronze shim & there are TSB notices against some with a special "anti rattle clip) made for them..the rattle is usually not the linkage but the rod in the servo actuator..as I stated above.....v.high temp grease is best & use the types I recommend..either the VW hot bolt paste or the Loctite 1300C stuff....

jgarland95

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the spindle... Is the spindle a separate part on it's own or is it part of the actuator arm plate? Mines seems to be seized really bad and I am getting no movement from it after removing the circlip. I'll keep soaking it with penetrant and hope for the best but any other tips apart from that?

Cheers,
Jack

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the spindle... Is the spindle a separate part on it's own or is it part of the actuator arm plate? Mines seems to be seized really bad and I am getting no movement from it after removing the circlip. I'll keep soaking it with penetrant and hope for the best but any other tips apart from that?

Cheers,
Jack

Spindle is part of the actuator arm...I had to tap mine out of the hole..

msemafor

Question about adjusting a wastegate rod with thread and nut

Hi,
Read DIY about greasing the wastegate rod, arm and spindle. Must admit it's great job and I did the same using Liqui Moly plugs and injectors white grease (resists up to 1400 degrees). I own Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI CZDA 150 PS MY 2016. It has and electronic servomotor and rod with threaded section and a nut (see attachment). Found on the internet that adjusting the rod's length one may gain some more boost called "preload". Can't find sufficient information about adjusting the rod - should I shorten or lenghten its lenght? How many rounds of mounting at a spindle? What should be correct voltages on IDE03934, IDE03935, IDE04302 and IDE04303 for CZDA engine? I have VCDS so can check these out. Will I find these in erWin Skoda?
Thanks in advance for any advices and sorry for my english - I'm polish.

Regards,
Marcin

Attachments

• Turbo-1-4-TSI-150-HP.jpg
    Turbo-1-4-TSI-150-HP.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,967

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi,
Read DIY about greasing the wastegate rod, arm and spindle. Must admit it's great job and I did the same using Liqui Moly plugs and injectors white grease (resists up to 1400 degrees). I own Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI CZDA 150 PS MY 2016. It has and electronic servomotor and rod with threaded section and a nut (see attachment). Found on the internet that adjusting the rod's length one may gain some more boost called "preload". Can't find sufficient information about adjusting the rod - should I shorten or lenghten its lenght? How many rounds of mounting at a spindle? What should be correct voltages on IDE03934, IDE03935, IDE04302 and IDE04303 for CZDA engine? I have VCDS so can check these out. Will I find these in erWin Skoda?
Thanks in advance for any advices and sorry for my english - I'm polish.

Regards,
Marcin

The wastegate gets rid of pressure......the adjustment of the rod increases or decreases the amount of force that the electric servomotor requires to move the rod. For example when the rod is in the closed position it should require 0 Volts to move...when it is in the full open position is requires say 4 Volts …..there are actual Voltage measurements in VCDS...& there are plenty of web posts on this...I posted some at the start of this thread I think. If not try the forum "Briskoda" which is the biggest Skoda forum in the world...:cool:

msemafor

Thanks a lot Dave.
Was looking for specified voltages for CZDA (even on Briskoda) but couldn't find anything interesting except reply of user NETen to your post on Ross-tech forum. He explains in detail how to adapt servomotor with nut on the rod. Refers to CHPA engine but today afternoon will follow his steps to set voltages he gave there (3310 mV - 3510 mV). Still curious how they set it up in factory or in authorized workshops, what source of data they have?
Will let you know here about the results.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks a lot Dave.
Was looking for specified voltages for CZDA (even on Briskoda) but couldn't find anything interesting except reply of user NETen to your post on Ross-tech forum. He explains in detail how to adapt servomotor with nut on the rod. Refers to CHPA engine but today afternoon will follow his steps to set voltages he gave there (3310 mV - 3510 mV). Still curious how they set it up in factory or in authorized workshops, what source of data they have?
Will let you know here about the results.

I have had a look at the VW tech manuals I have from ERWIN.....it refers to a specific setting in the VW diagnostics device....it does not state any specific value...in the manual...

msemafor

Yep, I also have workshop manual for CZDA engine 2015 --> and can confirm - it's refering to a specific setiing in diagnostic tool. Suppose this tool simply shows specific and actual voltage to let mechanic know how to adjust the rod.
I've noticed other interesting thing while testing the actuator with VCDS. In Basic Settings it shows "Running|set of parameters not valid and fault at last change". The same info i see after starting "First adaptation ...", "Testing for replacing turbacharger servo-motor" and "Turbocharger Actuator Test". But for example when I start "Throttle adaptation" it first says "Running ..." and right after that "Done - system OK" (or something similar". Do you have the same info about invalid parameters or fault while running actuator tests? If not where to verify and correct parameters? Checked and no fault in Engine module.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yep, I also have workshop manual for CZDA engine 2015 --> and can confirm - it's refering to a specific setiing in diagnostic tool. Suppose this tool simply shows specific and actual voltage to let mechanic know how to adjust the rod.
I've noticed other interesting thing while testing the actuator with VCDS. In Basic Settings it shows "Running|set of parameters not valid and fault at last change". The same info i see after starting "First adaptation ...", "Testing for replacing turbacharger servo-motor" and "Turbocharger Actuator Test". But for example when I start "Throttle adaptation" it first says "Running ..." and right after that "Done - system OK" (or something similar". Do you have the same info about invalid parameters or fault while running actuator tests? If not where to verify and correct parameters? Checked and no fault in Engine module.

I have no other info other than what I printed in this thread at the beginning...

msemafor

Anyone else could advice me how to correctly adapt turbocharger servomotor in 1.4 TSI 150 PS CZDA veryfing voltages with VCDS? And why I see info "Running|set of parameters not valid and fault at last change" instead of "Done|system OK" (or similar) while testing the actuator with VCDS Basic Settings?
Maybe anyone would be so kind and check in his own smoothly running CZDA engine voltages for IDE03934, IDE03935, IDE04302 and IDE04303 when the engine is hot? I'd be very grateful.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Anyone else could advice me how to correctly adapt turbocharger servomotor in 1.4 TSI 150 PS CZDA veryfing voltages with VCDS? And why I see info "Running|set of parameters not valid and fault at last change" instead of "Done|system OK" (or similar) while testing the actuator with VCDS Basic Settings?
Maybe anyone would be so kind and check in his own smoothly running CZDA engine voltages for IDE03934, IDE03935, IDE04302 and IDE04303 when the engine is hot? I'd be very grateful.

You might be better of starting a new thread or asking on the Ross Tech forum...or on the Briskoda forum...

As this forum is mainly USA & Canada..who do not get that engine...:cool: