GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HOW TO: 4 bucket wash / detail - pic heavy

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
What do you mean 'without the help of a wheel cleaner'? Is brute not a wheel cleaner? Or do you mean to have something to use without using brushes or something?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
What do you mean 'without the help of a wheel cleaner'? Is brute not a wheel cleaner? Or do you mean to have something to use without using brushes or something?
Brute is a wheel soap/shampoo, not a dedicated cleaner so to speak. I guess one could call it a dedicated soap. I would like to use Brute as a stand alone soap, and have it remove all the brake dust and fallout from my wheels on it's own, without having to pre-treat the rims with Iron-X or something like that. I will definitely still have to use my wheel woolies I'm sure, nothing is that amazing :) Yet...

Wheel cleaners are rarely, if ever, a pH of 7. Brute is neutral however, so it will be friendly to the wheel coating. I know Iron-X when used sparingly is supposed to be coating friendly also, all CarPro products are for use with coatings, but if I can use all neutral products, I will.

Right now my wheel soap is the Iron-X snow foam soap, works great, but smells like absolute hell on earth. It also leaves a residue unless you spends a long time rinsing the wheels off. I always seem to have streaks running down my rims after using it, and have to buff them by hand after drying the car. Very tedious task.

I am probably taking my pH levels too seriously with this stuff. But detailing is an adventure and I plan to explore every single realm of it. I have high hope for Brute.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Ohh snap yeah i have never thought about how harsh the wheel soaps are in regards to coatings. definitely something to consider and it does seem like brute would easily do the trick, especially since you and i are so good at the upkeep.

like, something that gets the wheels actually cleaned every few months (or never for that matter) will need the harsher stuff but we should be fine with something like brute.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Ohh snap yeah i have never thought about how harsh the wheel soaps are in regards to coatings. definitely something to consider and it does seem like brute would easily do the trick, especially since you and i are so good at the upkeep.

like, something that gets the wheels actually cleaned every few months (or never for that matter) will need the harsher stuff but we should be fine with something like brute.
Exactly!

I think Brute will speed up the time it takes to clean the rims, as pre-treatment is a few minutes at least before the color change stops occurring. We can just jump right to the scrubbing! Wheel cleaners are very harsh, at least when compared to your typical car shampoos they are. Brute however falls into the same pH level as AMMO Foam does or CarPro Reset. Two soaps that are VERY friendly to coatings.

How Brute does what it does while still being neutral, well, that's Larry's secret i'm sure hahaha. I can't wait to try it.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
If you're washing your car inside the garage with a hose, best you have a floor squeegee and run at least 2 large fans and a dehumidifier after the work.

Otherwise your relative humidity remains too high inside the garage and your car does not dry properly risking corrosion on the undercarriage and areas you can't see especially if your area uses road salt.

Maybe the OP is running fans afterwards, but didn't see pictures of large fans so..

Thank you for the responses! I put everything through a long wash and extra rinse for delicates; dry on low heat. Everything comes out like a fluffy cloud lol

This is my first “nice” car that I’ve invested in cleaning supplies and just wanted to make sure I want tossing all my work out the window by washing my supplies together.

Thanks again, much appreciated :)

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Id say definately wash anything that you clean your wheels, engine or other dirty bits separate from drying/waxing towels. I wash my drying/waxing/most of my interior towels together. Once towels that have been used a fair amlunt for stains/carpet etc get too dirty they become wheel/engine towels.

Another important note is to wash microfibers jn warm water to release alot of the chemicals, waxes etc with fragrance free, or like basic, detergent. Nothing with fancy softening stuff and all that. And i usually tumble dry for a while on really low heat then hang dry. The tumble dry action helps to reopen the microfiber strands since they get a little matted from the wash process.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I have always washed on cold and dry on low. The microfiber detergent will release the dirt and never mix towels from wheels, brake dust will contaminate your drying towels.

Hang dry seems like a way to collect some dust but maybe that’s my ocd.

If you’re not concerned about lint you can mix wax, window, and drying towels, I’m trying not to do that now.

I just wash them separately now on fast wash / tap cold.

In process of switching all my towels and trying an ego blower for part of my drying routine. Metrovac is too slow at drying, especially in summer, hoping the ego will do better otherwise I’ll keep it for the yard only.