GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone got PDR (paintless dent removal) experience?

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Have a few minor dents in the rear, driver's side door.

Wondering why you couldn't just take the interior door panel off and push them out from the inside of the door – instead of shimmying a push rod between the outside of the door and the glass.

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
I used PDR once on my Mk6 Jetta. I had a very sharp dent on my rear quarter panel that looked like someone stabbed it with a screwdriver but it did not damage the paint somehow.

The guy warned me because it was so sharp he may not be able to fully repair it. He did an amazing job considering the type of dent and didn't charge full price since it wasn't 100% when he finished, but honestly anyone other than me probably wouldn't notice it after. What they do is an art (the good ones). I watched him the whole time since I was curious and I would never attempt it myself. Lol

It doesn't hurt to get a quote and if the dents aren't extremely sharp, or right on body creases, then chances are you won't even be able to see where it was done afterwards.

ccbird

Ready to race!
Have a few minor dents in the rear, driver's side door.

Wondering why you couldn't just take the interior door panel off and push them out from the inside of the door – instead of shimmying a push rod between the outside of the door and the glass.

To answer your question a bit better, I had a dent on my driver's side rear door right on the crease and tried exactly what you want which is to remove the door panel.

I tried twice, the door trim comes off easy enough after watching a youtube video, but there is enough reinforcement inside the door that depending on the location of the dent, it is very hard to get access or leverage to the dent to push on it from the inside.

That was my experience.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
I had mine done. I had a crested dent on my driver's door. I think it was a door ding... assholes.

Anyways, 15 minutes and 45 dollars it came out spotless. I actually thought there was paint damage on the car but after PDR it looked brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 381

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
I had a great experience with a local guy. First week I had my car...

Before

After

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
OP isn't asking if he should get PDR done, he is asking why it is done a certain way. ccbird answered pretty well. Even after taking off the door panel, theres not as much free space as you would imagine. It takes less time to just stick the stick in and know you can get the dent than it would be to take a chance on removing the panel just to find out you cant get to the right spot.

I got it done on my door and watching the guy hammer a wedge in between the door and the window was terrifying. the window flexed probably a half inch out of straight. The guy did a great job though

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
OP isn't asking if he should get PDR done, he is asking why it is done a certain way. ccbird answered pretty well. Even after taking off the door panel, theres not as much free space as you would imagine. It takes less time to just stick the stick in and know you can get the dent than it would be to take a chance on removing the panel just to find out you cant get to the right spot.

I got it done on my door and watching the guy hammer a wedge in between the door and the window was terrifying. the window flexed probably a half inch out of straight. The guy did a great job though

We got it.
Just wondering why he does not just contact a PDR.
Works fine so no reason to over think it.

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP

We got it.
Just wondering why he does not just contact a PDR.
Works fine so no reason to over think it.

Pretty much for the reason that imthanick mentioned – it looks like a pretty horrific process from what I've seen on YouTube when they drive the wedge between the door and the glass.

But if it works, I guess it works. Thanks all.