GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 has a 2 door??

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
The body line around the rear fender/rear door on a lowered four door looks a million times better than a 2 door.

You mean that ugly set of 2nd lines on the rear end? and extra set of door handles?? to each their own.. at least the 2 door's line follow the pillar. plus you have twice the parts that'll break.. window motors, handles, lock actuators, switches. plus I don't have to worry about driving people around all the time because i just say I drive a 2 door then we are getting in someone else's 4 door.. lmao

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Right on. Nice to see some other true believers out there. Pics of the 2 door cement those good looks. Can't believe they are still pushing the 16 and 17's on the VW site.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Exactly. Taking a car that is built primarily around practicality and is boxy and buying it in 2DR form is totally baffling to me.

I even think they look worse. The huge doors and blank panel behind them completely throws the proportions off. They look super goofy.

GTIs were originally 2dr, and for the first few generations, 2drs were all they sold. The GTI was not built around practicality, it was built to be a sporting version of the Golf. It was meant for driving enthusiasts.
The only reasons they began to be sold as 4drs were to increase sales, and to sell them to a wider, less enthusiast based market. That fact alone detracts from the sporting nature of the car. It is a watered down version of the original.
4dr practicality is what the Jetta and Sportwagen are for.

The Golf predates the Jetta. The original GTI was not a performance car. It was a sporty variant of a common people's car. Peoples' cars should be affordable, economic, and practical. It's just that it was more common to have 2drs on common cars back then. And they were so small it was harder to make 4drs out of hatchbacks back then.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
What's the appeal of a 2-door, tbh? The whole reason I want a GTI is because it's both sporty and practical.

2 doors still has its own market especially in this community.

Would i want to buy one, NO! One of the main reason for me to buy a GTI is practicability and thus 4 door.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thought the whole idea of the modular MQB was how easy they could produce different versions...mind boggling that Canadians get a 2 door option and we don't. Europe still gets them for GTI and R, but I get that they don't like us.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Thought the whole idea of the modular MQB was how easy they could produce different versions...mind boggling that Canadians get a 2 door option and we don't. Europe still gets them for GTI and R, but I get that they don't like us.

Customers have to be blamed for this. Main reason why we do not see those desirable 2 door versions and wagons (say Audi A4 wagon) is because of the sales history. Every model has to be certified for all Federal tests. Unless other wise those models sell a certain number every year, OEMs does not want to bring them to US even though its available across the globe.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
For those of you youngsters, if you were of my generation and single, you wouldn't be caught dead in a 4-door car or a station wagon. They were mommy and daddy's cars, that they let you drive. No self-respecting guy would drive one. Before the R, the last 4-door I owned was in 1973 (a 1970 Caddy Sedan de Ville). I owned one other 4-door, in 1970 (a 1961 Chevy Bel Air. My total ownership of both cars was 4 years out of 52 years of owning cars. I bought 2 cars from my mother, but both were 2-doors. She was cool. She had a 1969 Buick with a 350 4-barrel, and would drag race kids at every opportunity..

Last edited:

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
2 doors still has its own market especially in this community.

Would i want to buy one, NO! One of the main reason for me to buy a GTI is practicability and thus 4 door.
Ah HA! So you're the guy who's responsible for our no longer getting the real GTIs! A pox on your house!

:D