GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In Hawaii, need new engine

jerodbroten

Ready to race!
So, it looks like I pushed my engine to the max and blew a rod. Issue is, I'm in Hawaii and need a new engine. Any ideas?? Thank you in advance!! Ps, if going with any engine what would you put in a 2015 gti?

pieguy

Ready to race!
Being in Hawaii, probably cheapest to just buy a used one off ebay and replace in kind at a local independent shop. If you were in the states, better off just buying the full APR long block. Dealer is going to ask for $10k for a new engine for sure.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Holy smokes, another 2015 pulled a subie :eek: clearly a pattern coming from the 2015s. Sorry to hear bro.

Not sure if ebay sellers ship to the island but there were some good basically new 2017 engines for sale for like $3-3.5K shipped last time I checked. I would just go with something like that and have a reputable indie shop throw it in for a non rape price.

Maybe out under $5-6K when all is set and done? But you'll have a 2017 motor which have yet to fail on the forum (I think?)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If it broke a rod, it was tuned too hot.

An IS38 doesn't have the balls to break rods unless you detonate the motor.

jerodbroten

Ready to race!
So, got a block ordered should be here in 2 weeks. Used block from 2016. Yes, I was tuned to hot. But hey, if you want to play you got to pay. Stage 3 revo, stacked jb4. Will see how this one stacks up.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
So, got a block ordered should be here in 2 weeks. Used block from 2016. Yes, I was tuned to hot. But hey, if you want to play you got to pay. Stage 3 revo, stacked jb4. Will see how this one stacks up.

How much boost and timing were you running? Also, what kinda of IAT's and AFR were you seeing during the time it went BLAME!

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
IIRC Hawaii doesn't have the greatest Gas, and they don't sell E85. Probably a huge factor I would say.

dasauto GTI

Ready to race!
Holy smokes, another 2015 pulled a subie :eek: clearly a pattern coming from the 2015s. Sorry to hear bro.

Not sure if ebay sellers ship to the island but there were some good basically new 2017 engines for sale for like $3-3.5K shipped last time I checked. I would just go with something like that and have a reputable indie shop throw it in for a non rape price.

Maybe out under $5-6K when all is set and done? But you'll have a 2017 motor which have yet to fail on the forum (I think?)

stacked tune caused this not a 2015 motor. who runs a stacked tune on a is38 swap

s_low_r

Sorry to hear about your motor man. I was trying to source a motor locally too, and same as you, had to look to the continent. Let me know if you need any help.

Great place to visit. Horribly racist place to live if you weren't born there. And even if you are, if your skin is too pale, you're still less than human. They're almost as bad as the Japanese.

Wow, you must have had a bad experience here. By the way what do you mean “They're almost as bad as the Japanese.”?