GOLFMKV

MKVII to be built in Mexico?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

mlatner

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you guys think the overall quality will be the same? Also this integrated exhaust manifold is hard to envision. Does that mean you can only replace the turbo?

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yes. Honestly an integrated exhaust manifold means easier and cheaper BT builds due to the lack of effort needed to make equal length tubes.

As mentioned in the TSI discussion thread, there will be good things to come for tuning headroom, however, the coolant optimization bothers me. There might be a ceiling to these engines. We'll find out with the upcoming release of the Beetle Turbo. They'll be utilizing these engines before we see the MK7 GTI come to market.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I suggest that you go test-drive a Mexico-built jetta and judge for yourself.

Oh, not this again...

The Jetta is they way it is because it was designed that way.

If there is going to be a difference between a Golf/GTI assembled in Mexico, and one assembled in Germany - the only way to know what those differences in build quality may be (if any) would be to compare those two cars side by side.
Maybe compare a pair of them side by side after a given set of miles over comparable conditions.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
I suggest that you go test-drive a Mexico-built jetta and judge for yourself.

We own a '12 jetta TDI. Built in Mexico, has 36k miles on it already and has been rock solid. The only issues with the car are in the way VW configured it, not with how it was assembled. VW used cheaper parts (non soft touch dash, bare bones MFD, lack of gauges of any kind, ect) but the car has given us zero mechanical issues other than leaking water in the tail lights. Parts issue, not a build issue.