GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
spankye

Drives: 2016 GTI SE PP
What am I missing...advice on CPO 2015 purchase

Hello all. New to the forum but not the GTI world as I've previously owned a MK2 and MK3. After the MK3 I had to take a break...it was kind of a nightmare. Quality seems to be good on the MK7 so I'm jumping back in.

I'm looking at a 2015 CPO with 43K at a dealer. Carfax checks out, and it checks all my boxes. I've read a little about turbo failures in the 2015 but I'm not sure how to check build date on this car as I'm out of state. Their price would need some massaging but I think it looks great.

My question is, what am I missing? Are there any red flags I'm not seeing or do you think this could be a solid car? Thanks for your time.

http://www.vordermanvw.com/VehicleDe...-IN/3160920083
spankye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
CB1111

Drives: GTI
A couple of points to ponder:

How many people buy a performance package and then drive it like granny?
How did the wheels get so scratched up?
Why would somebody dump a two year old car if it was OK? He probably got $13-14k on trade?

All of these may have reasonable explanations - or not.

Me? I'd never buy a used (CPO or not) GTI or R unless I knew the owner. Too many boy racers out there.
CB1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
spankye

Good points...

This was a lease vehicle so I imagine they didn't want to buy it out. A lease vehicle is not ideal and I imagine the wheel condition is a byproduct of driving in New Jersey where it was registered.

Personally, I would be the guy to buy a PP and drive normally/spirited. No racing for me, but I do want to get out on the mtn roads where I live and go for a fun drive. Still, I see your point.

Patiently waiting for something enthusiast owned to pop up in the classifieds...
Old 04-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
adam1991
Banned

Drives: GTI Mk7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankye View Post
Patiently waiting for something enthusiast owned to pop up in the classifieds...
When Mk8 R comes out, I will let you know.
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
MadMen

Drives: 2015 S3 DSG
I would absolutely pass on a 40k car from the northeast. There's gonna be some rust under that thing.
MadMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
adam1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen View Post
I would absolutely pass on a 40k car from the northeast. There's gonna be some rust under that thing.
On a modern car?

This isn't 1950.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
Da Jesus

Drives: 2010 GTI
I don't think you're missing anything here. Should absolutely be able to negotiate on the price a bit. As far as I've read, the turbo failure is the big issue with the '15s. I think they also have a slightly worse infotainment system than the '16-'17s though as well.

Also, maybe I've just had good luck but I purchased my '10 in 2012 as a CPO and it has been essentially rock solid. Had one issue right after I purchased but it was completely coverered by warranty. Outside of that, this has been the most relaible car I've ever owned, after years of owning hondas.
Da Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #8
MadMen

Drives: 2015 S3 DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
On a modern car?

This isn't 1950.
Compared to a southern car? Absolutely! I've bought a fair share of modern cars, and the ones that have spent a few years in the northeast always have surface rust on nuts and bolts and such.

I'm not saying it will be rot, but if you have a choice, look for a southern car. Salt is nasty stuff, no matter what decade it is.
MadMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
southpawboston

Drives: '17 GSW S
Quote:
On a modern car?

This isn't 1950.
If I were in the south, or the west coast, or anywhere where they don't salt the roads, I would prefer to buy a used car that hadn't seen northeast winters. Absolutely. I've lived on both coasts and owned cars on both coasts, and a few salty winters can definitely decrease the longevity of suspension, exhaust and brake components.

past VAGs: '69 Type 3 Variant 1984 GTI '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition '86 Scirocco '86 Audi 4000S
southpawboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #10
thxrick

Drives: BMW 335i, 2015 GTI SE
I think it's pretty reasonable. I bought my '15 (2door) back in Feb., without the PP and 36k on it. CPO for 17,500. You can get them down but looks like an OK deal. I'm not sure how common the PP is but I would have loved too have it.

That a great color...cut deal and buy it!
thxrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:25 AM   #11
spankye

Updates! The dealer was incredibly helpful with sending more detailed pictures of the paint, bumpers, etc, and even had the techs lift the car for underbody photos, which was super clean. On top of all that they even confirmed the turbo revision (G BTW). I felt pretty good about it after all that.

However, late this afternoon events transpired that I can not fully understand yet and I ended up with a Pure White 2016 SE PP with LP, DCC, VWR springs, trailer hitch, and roof rack for $16.5K. It's in incredible shape and is/was owned by a responsible dude. I fly out to pick it up next Thursday. So stoked!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #12
thxrick

Quote:
Updates! The dealer was incredibly helpful with sending more detailed pictures of the paint, bumpers, etc, and even had the techs lift the car for underbody photos, which was super clean. On top of all that they even confirmed the turbo revision (G BTW). I felt pretty good about it after all that.

However, late this afternoon events transpired that I can not fully understand yet and I ended up with a Pure White 2016 SE PP with LP, DCC, VWR springs, trailer hitch, and roof rack for $16.5K. It's in incredible shape and is/was owned by a responsible dude. I fly out to pick it up next Thursday. So stoked!
Hmmm... having a trailer hitch on a GTI would solely exclude this guy from being a "responsible" dude. WTF do you want to pull with a sports car? That would be a big red flag right there. Mileage?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #13
thxrick

Also, the other car was CPO'd...screw that. I would neg. with the dealer and get that blue one...
Old 04-11-2018, 03:00 AM   #14
adam1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxrick View Post
Hmmm... having a trailer hitch on a GTI would solely exclude this guy from being a "responsible" dude. WTF do you want to pull with a sports car? That would be a big red flag right there. Mileage?
Not at all. It's how he carries bicycles, instead of on the roof.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #15
thxrick

Quote:
Not at all. It's how he carries bicycles, instead of on the roof.
Good point...didn't think it that. Still would never install a trailer hitch on any decent car.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
spankye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxrick View Post
Also, the other car was CPO'd...screw that. I would neg. with the dealer and get that blue one...
I thought about that, but the rough wheels, some bumper scratches, and not as pristine interior condition were drawbacks for me on the blue car. I also like the leather and newer infotainment on the white car.

Ultimately though it came down to knowing the history on the white car. This guy is my age, doesn't hoon, keeps it garaged, and has treated it very well. Not to say it won't break down on my drive home but i fully trust him and the car.

Lastly, yes, the trailer hitch is for a bike rack. I really wanted an EcoHitch as they are hidden but this will do for now. Once you have used a hitch to carry a nasty mountain bike you don't ever want to lug it up on the roof again.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
thxrick

Quote:
I thought about that, but the rough wheels, some bumper scratches, and not as pristine interior condition were drawbacks for me on the blue car. I also like the leather and newer infotainment on the white car.

Ultimately though it came down to knowing the history on the white car. This guy is my age, doesn't hoon, keeps it garaged, and has treated it very well. Not to say it won't break down on my drive home but i fully trust him and the car.

Lastly, yes, the trailer hitch is for a bike rack. I really wanted an EcoHitch as they are hidden but this will do for now. Once you have used a hitch to carry a nasty mountain bike you don't ever want to lug it up on the roof again.
Makes sense. I hope it all works out for you. Seems like a great car.