GOLFMKV

Advice on potentially selling GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
It’s true you will lose less money on depreciation the less you spend on a car, however normally they don’t have warranties when you buy cheaper used cars just the risk you take. I’ve bought decent used cars with like 70,000 miles on them for 12 grand and over 4 years I only lose like 6 grand on depreciation. Four years depreciation on a 30,000 brand new car is something like 15 grand.

INeedANewCar

The 17 GTIs have good reliability, much more so than the mk6. I looked at the A3,A4,S3 and S4’s. However, I didn’t see great value holding of the A4. If you’re gonna do anything, sell it and buy an old civic or Toyota.

Yep, if you want to minimize depreciation, maintenance and repair costs, buy a lightly used Honda, Toyota, or Subaru. If you bought your GTI new though, you've already taken the biggest hit on depreciation there. Normally the first year is the biggest decline and it levels off over time. Repairs and maintenance costs on the other hand, tend to grow over time. At least if you like the car and it seems to be holding up well, I think you might as well keep it, money-wise.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Drive it until its dead is always the best decision especially if you bought new because you already took the big hit..the longer you drive it the more muted the big depreciation from buying new becomes. You can't go back now so selling it just seals the deal that you lost big money buying new. Paid off = drive it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sar316

Passed Driver's Ed
Drive it until its dead is always the best decision especially if you bought new because you already took the big hit..the longer you drive it the more muted the big depreciation from buying new becomes. You can't go back now so selling it just seals the deal that you lost big money buying new. Paid off = drive it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's my philosophy, MK4 lasted me 17 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.