GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Ok [emoji108] any intercooler recommendations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna piggyback this. I know there's endless discussions on here, but honestly there's so many I feel like it'll be hard to come to a conclusion by reading forever.

My car is strictly a DD (no tracking) so I don't need an IC that is like, the most efficient IC on the market. I just want one that is not going to break the bank and is "good enough" for a Stage 2 DD.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
My car is strictly a DD (no tracking) so I don't need an IC that is like, the most efficient IC on the market. I just want one that is not going to break the bank and is "good enough" for a Stage 2 DD.
Sounds like a Majesty/Magic IC would fit your criteria. I have had mine for over a year now along with many others on this forum and it has been working great, no issues. If you get the IC with an eBay coupon that really sweetens up the deal. I paid $253USD shipped to Canada.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Wow that was posted in 2015?? Never even heard of that mod before. Is the soundacktor rattle really that bad. I guess I'm lucky.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Wow that was posted in 2015?? Never even heard of that mod before. Is the soundacktor rattle really that bad. I guess I'm lucky.

Isn’t it designed to rattle?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Sounds like a Majesty/Magic IC would fit your criteria. I have had mine for over a year now along with many others on this forum and it has been working great, no issues. If you get the IC with an eBay coupon that really sweetens up the deal. I paid $253USD shipped to Canada.

Sounds fantastic. Any idea on the labor for install?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Sounds fantastic. Any idea on the labor for install?

Labor for a stock location intercooler is going to be pricey, several hundred bucks at a minimum. You can do it yourself, but you'd better be handy or have a friend who is.

Alternately, you could put in a FMIC if you are going the diy route; they're much easier as you really only need to remove the bumper. GTIjake on here makes a really nice kit that will future proof your build as it's big enough to handle big turbo conversions. The CTS and neuspeed ones are a bit small, but will handle is20 power levels just fine and be a big step up from the factory IC, but for the price I'd go with Jake's unless you can get a good deal on a used one.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Labor for a stock location intercooler is going to be pricey, several hundred bucks at a minimum. You can do it yourself, but you'd better be handy or have a friend who is.

Alternately, you could put in a FMIC if you are going the diy route; they're much easier as you really only need to remove the bumper. GTIjake on here makes a really nice kit that will future proof your build as it's big enough to handle big turbo conversions. The CTS and neuspeed ones are a bit small, but will handle is20 power levels just fine and be a big step up from the factory IC, but for the price I'd go with Jake's unless you can get a good deal on a used one.

Jake made my downpipe. Might as well make it a team!

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Isn’t it designed to rattle?

Ha touche! Well I dont think VW intended it to cause annoying vibrations on the windshield, dash, and glove box which I hear some people complaining about. I get slight vibration very briefly when I get heavy on the throttle but not enough for me to care about. I even have the soundaktor on sport.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Jake made my downpipe. Might as well make it a team!

FMIC install is pretty easy. It took my nephew and I 2hrs to do it. First timers and never pulled the bumper before. Might as well do other stuff with the bumper off— front lip maybe? Plus FMICs look kewl. [emoji41]

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So Majesty intercooler is stock location, not FM? so the IC itself is cheap, but the labor is way more? So... I should just get one that costs more and has a cheaper install? Like if it's gonna be a $100 delta but the true FMICs are 30% better... I'll build some runway into my mods. Because I could totally see myself going hybrid IS38 in 2 years or so (at which point my car will be paid off and i'll be turning it into a track toy, and will be onto my next DD)

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
So Majesty intercooler is stock location, not FM?
Yes the Majesty/Magic IC is a stock location intercooler although the company also makes a "twincooler" style FMIC as well. My mechanic took 2.5 hours for install so with the labour and the IC I was all in for $460USD.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yes the Majesty/Magic IC is a stock location intercooler although the company also makes a "twincooler" style FMIC as well. My mechanic took 2.5 hours for install so with the labour and the IC I was all in for $460USD.

Oh okay that's cheap af. I'll just go that route.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Oh okay that's cheap af. I'll just go that route.
I don't know if you can still get the IC for as cheap as I got it for but the 15/20% off coupon sure helps. There are alot of listings for this and similar variations of this IC on Ebay so you will just have to look through them all. Just an FYI I bought the kit without the boost pipes and reused my stock ones.

gti_1789

Passed Driver's Ed
I hit a pothole and ruined one of my tires. I went ahead a got a new set of A/S 3+ since I wanted an upgrade. I am planning on putting them on my stock wheels, do y’all think I will see a considerable upgrade from stock setup?

I am planning on buying new wheels down the line when I can afford something nicer.

cb1111

I hit a pothole and ruined one of my tires. I went ahead a got a new set of A/S 3+ since I wanted an upgrade. I am planning on putting them on my stock wheels, do y’all think I will see a considerable upgrade from stock setup?

I am planning on buying new wheels down the line when I can afford something nicer.
You'll also need an alignment. What are your stock tires?