GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dyno mode: Just don't do it.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
My advice to those of you using Dyno Mode on 2wd dynamometers: Don't.

I had issues with 4th gear pulls today (tire spin on the rollers) due to the gobs of torque down low and the dyno's issues with PAU load control. We decided to re-calibrate the dyno to a 5th gear pull, and at 120mph on the dyno, something happened and the rear abruptly engaged. Thankfully the straps held and my instinct was to immediately go to neutral and apply brakes. The rear tires spun for maybe a second during this shut-down.

I think I dodged a bullet, because the haldex still responds/functions as it should, as I just did a launch and while the fronts spin, they do not spin out of control like a true FWD platform.

Lesson learned: PULL THE DAMN HALDEX CONTROLLER connection. Don't become a statistic.

Vid to follow soon.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Having an R, why would you even try a 2wd dyno? If I had an R, I would never try that and always take it to a awd dyno. Thankfully you dodge the bullet on that one.

Exactly as it is designed to shunt power as soon as any slip is detected. The Dyno shop should know even the basics and have not even attempted it.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Most Rs use 2wd dynos and don't have any issues. That's what dyno mode is for...

To say that the shop or OP shouldn't have done it is silly. Does seem like a good idea to pull the connector just in case, however.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
People mainly do it, for 2 reasons. 1 awd dynos are harder to find and 2 a 2wd dyno gives you much higher numbers for forum dick measuring. Hundreds probably thousands of 2wd dyno runs have been made on R’s without issue. But ya, for piece of mind, pull the plug and get your higher number and guarantee those video situations can’t happen.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Those that commented saying that mainly due to lack of an AWD dyno: you're correct. There are two or three AWD dynamometers in the city, and none of them are mechanically linked, so it wouldn't matter if I went to them or not, I'd still need to dyno in 2wd mode.

As for numbers for dick measuring, I couldn't care any less. I wanted to see where the car sits with the time Ed has invested into the car with the tune. My base elevation has made things interesting, so to see what number he was able to squeeze out was the goal.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Damn.

Iroz sells a switch (for the Audi’s Atleast, though I don’t see why they couldn’t retrofit it to the Golf) that makes it FWD for burnouts at the strip, and would work for a dyno. Idk the price though, haven’t been able to get a response after the last email.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
My advice to those of you using Dyno Mode on 2wd dynamometers: Don't.

I had issues with 4th gear pulls today (tire spin on the rollers) due to the gobs of torque down low and the dyno's issues with PAU load control. We decided to re-calibrate the dyno to a 5th gear pull, and at 120mph on the dyno, something happened and the rear abruptly engaged. Thankfully the straps held and my instinct was to immediately go to neutral and apply brakes. The rear tires spun for maybe a second during this shut-down.

I think I dodged a bullet, because the haldex still responds/functions as it should, as I just did a launch and while the fronts spin, they do not spin out of control like a true FWD platform.

Lesson learned: PULL THE DAMN HALDEX CONTROLLER connection. Don't become a statistic.

Vid to follow soon.
Oh man, i just saw this.. This makes me happy I took the time to do my fwd switch. :D Good save Cliff

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Oh man, i just saw this.. This makes me happy I took the time to do my fwd switch. :D Good save Cliff

Care to elaborate? Would be cool to have a switch I could use to disable on demand. Pulling the harness plug isn't terrible, but requires removing the back seat and that can become tiresome.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Care to elaborate? Would be cool to have a switch I could use to disable on demand. Pulling the harness plug isn't terrible, but requires removing the back seat and that can become tiresome.

Now imagine a harness that plugs in between the male/female connections and you're on the right path ;)