GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni FSD suspension for the Mk.7

JWTS

Ready to race!
I have these on my Alltrack with Golf R wagon springs, and I love them; much more composed over large bumps really good damping over small pavement irregularities and they stiffen up nicely in hard cornering. If you don't have DCC, this is probably your next best option for variable damping. The technology does work.

They are sensitive to spring height, and designed for roughly stock or slightly lower. If you're going lower than VWR springs I'd probably look elsewhere. When I do the suspension on my GTI I'll likely go with these and DG springs, and I suspect they'll mate perfectly.

Scala

Ready to race!
Keep the stock OE height.

My own intent is to reduce the rearward rotation of the center of mass during acceleration in order to keep better contact patch loads on the front tires and a full length travel of these Koni dampers (look at the graphs) will do this with far better results than if the travel were reduced.
Since the center of gravity is above the center of force, the entire mass rotates under acceleration and unloads the front axle. This is not actually a shift in the center of gravity, it is a rotation of the entire car.
The more power is present the more the FWD loses traction and steering feedback.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
I had the FSD shocks on my MK V and they were OK but I switched to the std. adjustable Koni sport shocks which provided more control without excessive firmness.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Depends if you need the control or not... it’d kinda one more thing to tweak...

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Unless your needs are changing you can set and forget once you get what you desire for wheel control.

Scala

Ready to race!
After studying, mostly in European publications, the Koni Active technology I am convinced that the benefits may approximate Ferrari's magnetorheological dampers at a miniscule fraction of the cost. They should be installed in a week or two.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
After studying, mostly in European publications, the Koni Active technology I am convinced that the benefits may approximate Ferrari's magnetorheological dampers at a miniscule fraction of the cost. They should be installed in a week or two.

thats why i bought them yeah... :p :D

Scala

Ready to race!
I just finished the installation of the Koni Special Active dampers and following Koni's recommendation I used the stock OEM springs that were on my Mk7 GTI.
The results are quite gratifying though somewhat surprising.
Gratifying because ride and handling are significantly improved and while a track session is yet to take place the results on the street lead me to expect good things on track as well.

Surprising because they do their job without a hint of the harshness often found in performance dampers.

* Consider that my car has the APR Dogbone and Pendulum Mount and the Whiteline LCAs *

Immediately noticeable is how well they absorb the harshness of potholes, speed bumps and other such road irregularities while enhancing steering feedback and control.

Next step is the road course.

Last edited:

swansong

This is great news. I'm looking to go with the Special Active's on the stock springs as well, and was hoping to hear some opinions with this setup. Personally I have no desire to lower the car, for me the benefits were never worth the drawbacks on the previous cars I've owned.

Scala

Ready to race!
And now this, at the risk of being redundant.

The local Post Office is surrounded by a large parking lot with high and peaky speed bumps. They were most unpleasant to negotiate at any speed but not any more.
Off course they remain noticeable but no longer injurious to the occupants.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Had the FSD’s on my MK5 and loved them and have been planning on the Special Actives on my MK7 with stock springs just like you. Glad to see you like it this is good reassurance for me.

Update again if you could come they break in.

Torquey

on_the_overrun
I just picked up a set of Koni FSDs for my MK7, from TireRack on clearance!

Not sure if that was their last set or what... but now I cannot find it when I search under my car. If any one is interested, may be they can call TireRack and ask for Koni part# 2100-4154.

Last edited: