GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Oil Test

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Is it the proper VW Spec?

Tsi7

Ready to race!
That's really impressive... however when it comes to our cars, the amazon basics 5w40 doesn't seem to have the VW certification at this point... For comparison, here is 2 pictures of the specs in the bottle of castrol edge syntec 5w40 and the amazon basics 5w40

It looks like all the specs for the amazon 5w40 is meant for heavy duty diesel rigs... it has very similar approvals to Rotella T6 which all the mk4 TDI guys (both ALH and BEW/BRM) rave about and say is one of the best oils... No idea what that means for DI gassers though, maybe someone can chime in

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I would just stick to LMoly.

Generic store brand stuff you need to watch out cause they change specs (manufacturer) without telling you. Might be good one day might be crap the next, sort of.

With major brands at least you get consistency. Consistent crap as well if you get crap.

CynicalRobot

Thats a good point with them changing supplier so it can be different from one month to the next etc

I just thought it was interesting, of all the things Amazon could start selling i wouldnt have thought it would be engine oil lol

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I always used rotella t6. It’s not Vw spec, but stands up so well to heat

I am also a huge fan of Rotella T6.

However you may want to use an approved spec until your powertrain is up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For the twice a year I change my oil, I really don't care to save a few bucks on it not just get tried/true brands that are 502 approved.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie