GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H7 To D2S

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
It's plenty. In my experience, there are few other setups that put out as much light as my current setup. the xb35 bulbs in the 4500k temp from morimoto are on par with what the OEMs like osram are putting out with their nightbreaker lines.

Thats Great, but if i go with a brand like Morimoto, why wouldnt i just buy their H7 HID? instead of getting D2S, adapters and new wiring.

Isnt it high quality Enough?

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
But hows the light output? Now that ive seen how the 55w made my light perfect( way more light and the the color is now pure white and not that white with blue tint) its hard to go back.

I hope the 35W ballasts paired with a high quality bulb can produce The same amount or more light.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

See the pic I posted in another thread. Morimoto XB35 ballast and 4500k bulbs.

Projector Retrofit Ed's MK7.5 reps
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=46482&share_type=t

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I'm of the opinion that the h7 setups (or any of the "d2h" setups) are likely acceptable quality but i am not a fan of a setup that only exists through the use online vendors. I prefer going to OEM-ish setups where possible, which then also expands my available bulb selection.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I just saw it, the color temp looks great but what bulbs did you use? D2S? with an adapter?

5500k would probably match my DRLs and fog lights but I wanted more light so I went with 4500k. It is a D2H bulb because that’s what Ed said to use. I wonder if a D2S would fit but the base is bigger.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I'm of the opinion that the h7 setups (or any of the "d2h" setups) are likely acceptable quality but i am not a fan of a setup that only exists through the use online vendors. I prefer going to OEM-ish setups where possible, which then also expands my available bulb selection.

Well, the only reason i see why not buying an H7 Is like you said, having a wider bulb selection. And its a great one.

But if both bulbs are made by the same company, Shouldnt the light output be kind of the same?

The reason I Wanted to go the D2S Is because I Thought Its light output is far better than the H7, but if its from the same company i cant see a reason why the H7s wont generate the same amount of light as the D2S.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
5500k would probably match my DRLs and fog lights but I wanted more light so I went with 4500k. It is a D2H bulb because that’s what Ed said to use. I wonder if a D2S would fit but the base is bigger.

Oh, Its a different socket, And the D2H Looks similar to the H7.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Old old internet talk is that d2s tended to have higher output. Likely because they were cheap cheap d2s bulbs spliced onto h7 wires. Whether or not the logic still bears any weight is likely one of those internet things that can go round-and-round for ages, with no real answer until someone does a direct comparison.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Well, every site says the performance is the same its just a different base, I will get the H7 for now and hope the 35w ballasts are enough .

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Well, every site says the performance is the same its just a different base, I will get the H7 for now and hope the 35w ballasts are enough .

The Philips and osram lamps are far superior, using quality electrodes and salts, this is why they offer vastly greater performance without defects in the beam pattern, a lot of research and funds have gone into the development of the branded items.

D2S are used in projector lenses
D2R are used in reflector lenses

I’ve not heard of D2H (not branded anyway)

Honda and landrover at one time used D2R bulbs in reflector housings on some models and trim levels, (some early discovery3 models and later civics in particular), D2R are rarely used if at all now,

Both D2S & D2R look essentially the same, apart from the notches on the base being in different positions and D2R using a small shield directly painted on the glass of the bulb to prevent glare in the reflector lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Got my bulbs today and installed them, still waiting for it to get dark so i can test them

And I took A Pic of the projector without a bulb so can you guys tell me if its only an H7?

P.S Just had a quick drive with them and the light output is amazing, if anyone is looking for a good HID Kit then you should defenitly go with Morimoto.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Last edited: