GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DeAutoKey LED License Plate Light Issue

greene303

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,

About 6 months ago I purchased the complete replacement housing LED license plate lights from deautokey. Loved them...however, about a month ago I started getting an error on the dash say “check license plate bulb”. The error came on every time I started my car but the lights worked just fine. I contacted deautokey and they said it was probbaly a faulty resistor. I sent back the pair ($7 for shipping) and they replaced them with supppssedly a brand new set. Now 2 weeks into the new set I am getting the same error message - “check license plate bulb”. They aren’t out but they are triggering an error.
Has anyone had an issue with deautokey? I like the product but these are supposed to be error free.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Do you have OBDEleven or VCDS? If so, code it out.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hi everyone,

About 6 months ago I purchased the complete replacement housing LED license plate lights from deautokey. Loved them...however, about a month ago I started getting an error on the dash say “check license plate bulb”. The error came on every time I started my car but the lights worked just fine. I contacted deautokey and they said it was probbaly a faulty resistor. I sent back the pair ($7 for shipping) and they replaced them with supppssedly a brand new set. Now 2 weeks into the new set I am getting the same error message - “check license plate bulb”. They aren’t out but they are triggering an error.

Has anyone had an issue with deautokey? I like the product but these are supposed to be error free.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I purchased a used set from a fellow forumer, same thing. Used OBDeleven to code it out.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
If you’re going to own a VW the OBDEleven is worth buying.

Especially if you already have Android devices to use with it.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I purchased a used set from a fellow forumer, same thing. Used OBDeleven to code it out.

Do you have the auto-headlight feature? The Housing model won't work with that setup.

You could try their bulb/resistor. It is odd that they worked for 6 months without issue and the new set also triggered errors.

They are normally 100% error free so you can give the bulb/resistor setup a try - no need to purchase they offered already to send them or send those back for a full refund:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play

Also, how old is your battery? It only happens on cold starts or all the time? We have seen a lot of issues with VW batteries and normally if the license plates are being picked up it is the battery/voltage. We are not trying to shift blame and as the team said through email they will help but this can be an issue.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
If you’re going to own a VW the OBDEleven is worth buying.

Especially if you already have Android devices to use with it.

This^^

And just pickup a full housing set off Amazon for under $15. Done

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Do you have the auto-headlight feature? The Housing model won't work with that setup.

You could try their bulb/resistor. It is odd that they worked for 6 months without issue and the new set also triggered errors.

They are normally 100% error free so you can give the bulb/resistor setup a try - no need to purchase they offered already to send them or send those back for a full refund:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play

Also, how old is your battery? It only happens on cold starts or all the time? We have seen a lot of issues with VW batteries and normally if the license plates are being picked up it is the battery/voltage. We are not trying to shift blame and as the team said through email they will help but this can be an issue.
No auto feature. Supposed to work as is based on your website description. Coding out the error took two minutes including the google search.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
No auto feature. Supposed to work as is based on your website description. Coding out the error took two minutes including the google search.

Please email with info - they can confirm it was purchased from them:
Support@deAutoLED.com

No coding is required and first issue they are hearing of this - especially since it worked error free for 6 months and a few weeks it could be misfiring/cold starts/battery and will try to figure it out and see if bulb/resistor fixes it.

While they understand the few issues and ready to help once email is sent to them it is not something they seen and many were sold without issue so it is something to try to figure out as different trims/models could be different setups. We have seen it before so ready to help fix it.

Thanks

Last edited:

greene303

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick update...

Deautokey was very responsive and sent me multiple options to try and resolve the issue. I ended up just using the new resistors they sent and so far so good. Hopefully this solves the problem and I won’t get an error code going forward. Just wanted to give kudos to deautokey for doing the right thing and taking the time to help.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Quick update...

Deautokey was very responsive and sent me multiple options to try and resolve the issue. I ended up just using the new resistors they sent and so far so good. Hopefully this solves the problem and I won’t get an error code going forward. Just wanted to give kudos to deautokey for doing the right thing and taking the time to help.

Thanks for sticking with us - we know many try other models that trigger errors as soon as they install and simply don't work - ours will work but seem the resistors failed which is rare.

anotero - we sent PM too but if you could email team with info of your license plates they can try to figure out what happened.

Having errors with our LEDs are rare but covered under our warranty if it is indeed a bad resistor.

Thanks

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks for sticking with us - we know many try other models that trigger errors as soon as they install and simply don't work - ours will work but seem the resistors failed which is rare.

anotero - we sent PM too but if you could email team with info of your license plates they can try to figure out what happened.

Having errors with our LEDs are rare but covered under our warranty if it is indeed a bad resistor.

Thanks
I stated above (if i remember correctly) that i got them used from another forum member. Do you still want me to email?

pitterchi

Ready to race!
Support with deautokey is generally really good but the product you're buying is a Chinese LED. I wouldn't be surprised if its available on Aliexpress at a fraction of the cost. But deautokey takes the guessing game out of it.

Don't expect a high quality product but they will replace it if you send it back to them which means you'll need to buy another one while you wait.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Support with deautokey is generally really good but the product you're buying is a Chinese LED. I wouldn't be surprised if its available on Aliexpress at a fraction of the cost. But deautokey takes the guessing game out of it.

Don't expect a high quality product but they will replace it if you send it back to them which means you'll need to buy another one while you wait.

And pay for return shipping, each time