GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H7 To D2S

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, I Bought an HID Kit for my car which has the Bi Xenon replicas, but that kit is an Unbranded h7 kit And Its light output is fine but I was wondering whether replacing the bulbs to High Quality Phillips or osram D2S Make a noticeable difference? (with an adapter and different wiring of course)

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I went with a d2s setup from morimoto via the retrofit source. Bought their amp to d2s bulb connector. Ipreferred it over running the d2h bulbs (which I think are mostly garbage, tbh). I figured at the very least using bulbs that are actually available over the counter at part stores was a better move in the long run too. My experience was bulb quality is everything. The morimotos are good bang for buck, and from what I've read are very competitive with the OEM brands. The swap to even the morimotos was a massive improvement from my old generic d2h

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
D2S Osram or Philips bulbs would be far better than any cheap Chinese product, but you would also need quality ballasts to really get the output you’re after! However if your headlights are designed for H7 fitment bulbs you can only use bulbs with an H7 base, some replica headlights do allow multiple fitment options though, take a picture of the back of the projector where the bulb fits and post it here if you’re not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
What Ballasts should i get?

But what about using An adapter? that slides onto the D2S Bulb and aligns it in the H7 Socket. ( i Added a pic of the projector, Ignore the upside down bulb, i did not Install It xD )

Something Like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-to-D2S-...rentrq:d344242a1680ac7020d3dca1ffebf710|iid:1

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah if your projectors don't have the alignment points already, then yeah you'll likely need something like that. My RFBs had alignment points for seating a d2s bulb in there. Are my eyes deceiving me or is that bulb in the projector currently wrong side up in the 2nd photo? I thought i remember tab points down? :shrug:

I'll see if i can snap a photo of my setup as it stands today for an example later.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah if your projectors don't have the alignment points already, then yeah you'll likely need something like that. My RFBs had alignment points for seating a d2s bulb in there. Are my eyes deceiving me or is that bulb in the projector currently wrong side up in the 2nd photo? I thought i remember tab points down? :shrug:

I'll see if i can snap a photo of my setup as it stands today for an example later.
I hope the Phillips D2S will be brighter than the current H7.

I said I didnt install the bulbs, I Had a shadow in my Right headlights beam so i took it out and it was upside down.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Ah, gotcha, apologies for misunderstanding. all good. :) I'll snap a photo later of what my setup is like for reference. With my old h7 retro setup, they started out brightish and quickly lost the throwing power. Like to the point where they may have only been marginally brighter than the original h7 halogens. I swapped to my current d2s setup and it's soooo much better. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ah, gotcha, apologies for misunderstanding. all good. :) I'll snap a photo later of what my setup is like for reference. With my old h7 retro setup, they started out brightish and quickly lost the throwing power. Like to the point where they may have only been marginally brighter than the original h7 halogens. I swapped to my current d2s setup and it's soooo much better. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

Its ok xD

well, I Thought mine were bright as I Never had HIDs on my car, and then today the ballast i ordered from amazon arrived and the light is about twice as bright, I Didnt know a ballast could affect the light output that much, also warm up time is 4x faster.

And after seeing how bright an ebay kit can be I Cant even imagine what a good quality Phillips or Osram will do.

But both my ballasts are 55w, is there a D2S That is 55w? Or is there a way to step down the wattage?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Its ok xD

well, I Thought mine were bright as I Never had HIDs on my car, and then today the ballast i ordered from amazon arrived and the light is about twice as bright, I Didnt know a ballast could affect the light output that much, also warm up time is 4x faster.

And after seeing how bright an ebay kit can be I Cant even imagine what a good quality Phillips or Osram will do.

But both my ballasts are 55w, is there a D2S That is 55w? Or is there a way to step down the wattage?

I’m pretty sure D2S is purely 35w, any chance you could post a picture of the back of the projector but without any bulb in it?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I’m pretty sure D2S is purely 35w, any chance you could post a picture of the back of the projector but without any bulb in it?

Damn, guess i need new ballasts.

I wish i had one but that means taking the headlight out, and i just did it today twice and forgot to take a pic.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
The standard for d2s is the 35w bulb. If you run the 55w with the 35w d2s bulb, my understanding is it'll run the bulb hotter, shortening lifespan of the bulb (around half?), and possibly experience color washing. That's my understanding from hidplanet and other retrofit sources.

Additional way to reduce light output/power output is to go into your leuchte settings in vcds/obd11 and reduce the individual lamp outputs.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
The standard for d2s is the 35w bulb. If you run the 55w with the 35w d2s bulb, my understanding is it'll run the bulb hotter, shortening lifespan of the bulb (around half?), and possibly experience color washing. That's my understanding from hidplanet and other retrofit sources.

Additional way to reduce light output/power output is to go into your leuchte settings in vcds/obd11 and reduce the individual lamp outputs.

I Dont really mind replacing the bulbs, I Thought it can maybe blow up the bulb inside the projector or melt the inside of the projector. If just the bulb dies faster i dont really care.

So by default its 55w? and when i reduce it to 35 the ballast will output 35?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
There's certainly a chance with the bulb running hotter that it could melt the projector. Can't say with any certainty over what time span that would take for it to happen. If i understand what you're asking, yes, by default your headlamps will output the 55w to the ballast (maybe slightly less, as i believe the mk7s actually have their power reduced from factory to encourage long-bulb life, call it 50w) which will output all 50-55w to the bulb. If you didn't want to buy the new ballast and had access to vcds/obd11, you could try reducing the output of the lamp a bit to throttle the light output (there is absolutely the possibility of the lamps being "too bright" with stock settings).

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
There's certainly a chance with the bulb running hotter that it could melt the projector. Can't say with any certainty over what time span that would take for it to happen. If i understand what you're asking, yes, by default your headlamps will output the 55w to the ballast (maybe slightly less, as i believe the mk7s actually have their power reduced from factory to encourage long-bulb life, call it 50w) which will output all 50-55w to the bulb. If you didn't want to buy the new ballast and had access to vcds/obd11, you could try reducing the output of the lamp a bit to throttle the light output (there is absolutely the possibility of the lamps being "too bright" with stock settings).

Then I Wont take that risk, Its Either a new ballast or Reducing the wattage.

I Do have access to OBD11 But never seen a way to change the output, maybe in the bulb type?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
in the appropriate lamp codes (for halogen that would be leuchte6 and leuchte7, modify the dimmwert value to 80 or so (stock for halogen is 100, iirc, 127 is full-bright). Changing the lasttyp (lamp type) to xenon is also useful to remove flicker/error codes from bulb check. Not a 100% solution as even very cold starts can cause ballasts to throw an error every now and then.