GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vancouver Chat Thread

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Interesting pricing model with ED. Didn’t know that. What’s their Stage 1 ECU/TCU in CAD? For Uni it’s $1250 (full retail).

And ya as Carlos said, all tunes are detectable, even if you flash back to stock.

With ED, you don’t actually buy the “tune level” per say, but rather the tool itself - PoweTap. With Uni, you buy the tune + UniConnect for tune swapping and fault clearing, logging.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
@Nype. I got quoted just under 700 from Blitzkreig on Boundary. This is for stage 1.5 ECU tune only. I'm manual so no TCU

I thought ED is the only tune that is fine with going back to stock and not being detectable. Guess I am out of the loop lol

In 2014/15, when I had my GTI and was contemplating about tuning, it was all heresay. No one was sure how the TD1 works. A former member tuned on ED even volunteered to get his service done + a “deep scan” of the car and got the all clear.

Since then, a lot has been learnt about the TD1 process. Dealers have no say in it or can they even see if it comes up during a scan. It will just show up when you make a warranty claim on a part.

That said, I tuned my GTI with financial backing in the event of a major denied claim. Now I have the R, and a new business, that backing is gone. So JB1 it is :)

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
With ED, you don’t actually buy the “tune level” per say, but rather the tool itself - PoweTap. With Uni, you buy the tune + UniConnect for tune swapping and fault clearing, logging.

Oic. I chose to have a local shop do the tuning to skipped on the UniConnect option.

jjson

In 2014/15, when I had my GTI and was contemplating about tuning, it was all heresay. No one was sure how the TD1 works. A former member tuned on ED even volunteered to get his service done + a “deep scan” of the car and got the all clear.

Since then a lot has been learnt about the TD1 process. Dealers have no say in it or can they even see if it comes up during a scan. It will just show up when you make a warranty claim on a part.

That said, I tuned my GTI with financial backing in the event of a denied claim. Now I have the R, and a new business, that backing is gone. So JB1 it is :)

OMG this is all new to me. Ok maybe I should look into JB1 then since it is just a piggy back

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Oic. I chose to have a local shop do the tuning to skipped on the UniConnect option.

Had I gone Uni instead of the JB, I would’ve gotten Paul to tune it also.

I hated the heart-pounding feeling of trying to switch back to stock using a crappy HP tablet on personal hotspot an hour before my service during my ED days.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
OMG this is all new to me. Ok maybe I should look into JB1 then since it is just a piggy back

Tunes can be detected. Full stop.

I opted for the JB1 because it’s the best bang for power-adding buck you can get. It has logging capabilities even better than VCDS because it reads at 60hrz meaning it can detect more nuances. You can tweak Map 6 per 500rpm increments based on fuel grade and bolt-ons for the power you want. Also, George Smooth is an invaluable asset to the system.

Is it all perfect then? No. JB’s do not give you the same power as a full tune without full bolt-ons and major Map 6 tweaking, LFB (which I really like), NLS or launch control if you have DSG. It also doesn’t remove the top speed limiter if you’re into that or tweak the throttle pedal for less delay.

There are some videos of FBO JB4 cars reaching similar power levels as proper tunes and even a guy that had a JB1 (and later, 4) roll racing other cars on a runway, so do check those out.

As for install, it’s easy - just need ramps, a hex bit and figure out three plugs. The JB4 is a little more involved with an AFR wire tap and feeding into the OBD port. But I got RPI to install it for me during my service - Jonny’s amazing!

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I have been running my JB1 for a while now and still like it. If I didnt have almost 3 years of warranty left i would definetly go for a Uni Stg 1.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I have been running my JB1 for a while now and still like it. If I didnt have almost 3 years of warranty left i would definetly go for a Uni Stg 1.

Bought the 10 year drivetrain and appearance warranties. After a lot of thinking (Uni vs HPA, Stage 2 vs aftermarket turbo...etc), decided to stay with the JB1 for awhile. Maybe the most I’ll do is a DP with a spacer, but I do want that HPA dogbone.

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Hey does anyone in the Langley/Vancouver area have OBD11 and want a case of beer or something? Looking to tweak some things.
Im in North Van and have an OBD11, I don't mind helping out a fellow member.

khng

Where do y'all go for car washes? I tried Shine Auto Wash (Gold) and I didn't find it particularly cleaned my car well... left soap residue on my entire driver side window, and side skirts were still pretty dirty. Heard Husky gas station touchless is pretty good, but any other suggestions?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
VAQ+handbrake=FUN

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Haven't even had my car out in the snow yet lol. Carpooled with my wife in her Subaru this morning and probably end up doing the same tomorrow. When does summer start?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Where do y'all go for car washes? I tried Shine Auto Wash (Gold) and I didn't find it particularly cleaned my car well... left soap residue on my entire driver side window, and side skirts were still pretty dirty. Heard Husky gas station touchless is pretty good, but any other suggestions?

When I do touchless, it’s just to rid the car of crap it accumulated during its slumber. If you’re particular about it like me, I never just do touchless.

As I park in a car park, I try to sneak a hand wash at the Splash Zone wash bays near me (never use the brushes they have). If I’m feeling lazy, I do a basic touchless wash (also at Splash Zone) then do a layer of rinseless in my stall.

Last edited: