GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Open/Close Issues

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
My sunroof doesn't open/close/tilt with the sunroof button. I know there's no issue with the motor because I can still open/close my sunroof by holding the unlock/lock button of my key fob. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Might just be a switch contact. You won't know unless you open it up and start troubleshooting though. Still under warranty? If so there's an even easier solution...

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
Might just be a switch contact. You won't know unless you open it up and start troubleshooting though. Still under warranty? If so there's an even easier solution...

Yeah it's still under CPO warranty, but just wanted to see if it's an easy fix before I go to the dealer. Especially if the dealer makes me pay the $50 deductible. I think it may be related to some warranty work I had done because of a leaking sunroof.

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Everything is ok, you just need to reset your switch.

Had the same issue a few months ago and found the solution out there.

I think you hold the button forward until it sets and keep holding for a bit.

Search on here or Google.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Just fixed this last night on mine. Held the button full close until it went through a full open close cycle. Worked fine after that. Just needs to be reset.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
Just fixed this last night on mine. Held the button full close until it went through a full open close cycle. Worked fine after that. Just needs to be reset.

How long did you hold it for? I'll held it for at least 20 seconds and nothing happened.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
When you hold it in the full close position, does it start opening?
And it was probably more than 20 seconds. I didn't really count as i was just letting it go through a full open/close cycle.

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
When you hold it in the full close position, does it start opening?
And it was probably more than 20 seconds. I didn't really count as i was just letting it go through a full open/close cycle.

Nothing moves while I hold it in full close position.