GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Helicoil in aluminum is stronger than aluminum alone and yeah, original bolt, just grab the correct size/pitch. If you were local I'd knock it out for you for a beer-beer and a half, so that should tell you how complex a job it is.
Id bring some beers just to talk shop with another mk7 owner lol I've drilled and tapped new holes before so I'm sure I can get it done. Seems this route is a lot more secure then just tapping new threads. Appreciate the advice [emoji106]️

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
yea looks like you'll need to retap it. Unless you want to replace the entire valve cover.
Just make sure you cover up the spark plug hole really well so no shavings get in. If you have to go 1 size up on tap and bolt, the thread and pitch can be anything you want. I'm not sure if the stock bolt in Aluminum or steel but make sure to get the same as the bolt does do grounding so you want to make sure it ground properly.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just had to do this on my Saab after sparky blew out.

This guy has a good 3 part series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Ro4h0sSnLZc

-Use plenty of grease. It is not a clean job.
-it should take you multiple passes, about 3 to ream it out and 3 to do new threads.
-I bought my kit at advanced auto for like $30.
-use permetex high heat sealant on the insert.
-I scope the cylinder and found 2 shavings following this guys super grease multiple ream out method. You can fire the engine up and they will shoot out in seconds.
-It will run rough after install due to extra fuel in cylinder.

It's not too bad. Be thankful it's a straight up and down shot and not a v8 or something.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Luckily he didn't blow out a spark plug, just the bolt that retains the coil pack

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
oh, well I'm dumb. That's a whole lot less stressful.
Yea I realized half way through reading yours it was a different issue haha I was like shit this is gonna be harder than i thought.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
yea looks like you'll need to retap it. Unless you want to replace the entire valve cover.
Just make sure you cover up the spark plug hole really well so no shavings get in. If you have to go 1 size up on tap and bolt, the thread and pitch can be anything you want. I'm not sure if the stock bolt in Aluminum or steel but make sure to get the same as the bolt does do grounding so you want to make sure it ground properly.
I'll retap or use the helicoil. I haven't looked but I assume the valve cover is kinda pricey lol

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Has anyone used the FFS feature much? I've only tried it once since the tuner said it can wear out the stock clutch faster. I really want to see what my car can do from a launch with the TC and FFS together...

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
The flat foot shifting is amazing! It definitely isn't nice for the clutch. Between gear shifts it feels like having nitrous as the clutch engages. If you intend to use it often then you will probably want a single mass flywheel. I think my dmf is starting to fail thanks to the hard launches and shifts.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Ic is on its way. Will be getting the dsg tune as well so we can turn it back up. Goodbye slipping. Will hit up Alex soon and get the ball rolling.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Ic installed today. Everything working good but there's an odd noise coming from the driver front wheel well. Sounds like the sai but unplugging it doesnt change it. It sounds like a resporator. Very light but it's there. Me and my buddy can't find where it's from. It's not constant but the same air in and out sound every few seconds. No codes. Feel like it's not ic related. It's not boost for sure. Any ideas???

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Ic installed today. Everything working good but there's an odd noise coming from the driver front wheel well. Sounds like the sai but unplugging it doesnt change it. It sounds like a resporator. Very light but it's there. Me and my buddy can't find where it's from. It's not constant but the same air in and out sound every few seconds. No codes. Feel like it's not ic related. It's not boost for sure. Any ideas???

it could be a leak from one of your connectors not seated and tightened properly.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
it could be a leak from one of your connectors not seated and tightened properly.
The sounds hard to explain but it's way to specific of a sound to be boost. It literally sounds like a resporator. Same length of air in and out in the same intervals. I swear it's coming from the sai but it's still there when it's unplugged. Cars running fantastic though so idk what it could be.